Just got one -very shocked

Anything about BXs
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jaro »

OK I don’t know anything about these things at all, the first time I ever used one was 5 weeks ago I kinda felt funny when I drove it, it seemed to be very different to any other car I’ve driven, the ride was, well better than the Bentley Turbo I owned many many moons ago, And its so much fun to drive –its tears down towards a corner on rough roads at far too fast a speed and just wafts around the bend without fuss, its faster between two points –out here in wildest France with very interesting roads, than any of my other cars.

And they are a bit insidious aren’t they – I keep wanting to buy it, things from the accessories shop. I’ve even given the thing a name, what’s happening to me.

Its not even one of the super duper ones it’s a 1989 BX TE with a 1400cc engine, in white –which I’ve just polished (for the first time ever –for any car) It cost 200 euros!
Its got a big clock where the rev counter should be, keep thinking I'm doing 3500 revs when its really just quarter to 4 and I keep going out just for rides in it when I’ve got no where to go–just for fun.

I only bought it as a temp replacement for my Range Rover with the collapsed air suspension, and didn’t know that it had a similar system.

She’s got no rust – I mean not anywhere – when I walk past her if I touch the back she sort of settles down a bit. I think it knows I’m there…… this all just so wrong.

I was looking for a French girlfriend I think I’ve found her.

Jaro
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Welcome, Jaro! You've just summed these things up incredibly well. I got my first one because I thought it would be practical and economical... and now I'm on my fourth :oops: A small, cheap family car just shouldn't be this much fun.

Whereabouts in France are you? I've had a couple of stints over there, but never in a BX (except for a daytrip to Calais).
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Well, what can one reply to that? :?

Welcome to the club! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jaro »

I live in Alaigne which is just above Limoux, not far from Carcassonne in the foothills of the Pyrenees. 1 hour to the Med, 1.5 hours to the ski slopes, and wine is 60p a litre.
Life is tough

Jaro
Citroen BX 14 TE
Range Rover classic 4.2 LSE
1965 Unimog radio truck.
Volkswagen Westfalia Joker
Inveco Van
Yamaha 125 motocross bike
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I think I want to be you.
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jaro »

If you’re going to do this identity theft thing, I don’t think that it’s normal, although very good manners, to ask.
And I don’t think you’d like being me, the fleet of motors are all very very old and in most cases not working, and yes wine is 1 euro a bottle but it does taste like it, you’ve got to get up to about 3-4 euros before its any good. But you can buy a village house here still for 40,000 euros and the sun doth shine mostly.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I had a great time living over there (Alsace-Lorraine, mainly) and remember the 1 euro wine with great fondness. The sun didn't shine quite so much where I was though!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Welcome to the Club. I lived near Agen for a couple of years and miss it terribly. I love the Pyrenees - a great fan of Pau....

A white 14. Nice 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Welcome to the club.

Nice to meet a fellow 14 owner :)

Regards,
Matt
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The suspension is rather different to that on a Range Rover - the Citroen is hydraulic with trapped gas in the spheres and mechanical control - and when it gets old IT WORKS.

The Range Rover has air bags, is computer controlled and when it gets old it doesn't work.

As I'm sure you know there are steel spring conversions available for the Range Rover.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Welcome along, nice collection of cars! If you get the chance please post some pictures of the Unimog up, I'd love to see that.
Vauxhall apologist.
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: Just got one -very shocked

Post by kiwi »

Jaro wrote:I live in Alaigne which is just above Limoux, not far from Carcassonne in the foothills of the Pyrenees. 1 hour to the Med, 1.5 hours to the ski slopes, and wine is 60p a litre.
Life is tough
Wild shot here but do you know Derek and Pat Nissim who live near Puivert???
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jaro »

OK if this works you should be able to see the Mercedes Unimog Radio truck, 6 forward and 4 reverse gears, portal axles -will do 1.5 metres of river depth without snorkel. Its will climb straight up a vertical wall of 1.2 metres and a slope of 45 degrees. It’s only done 37500 km from new which was 1965. About 14/16 miles to the galleon and top speed is about 70km/hour. They make good trucks for overland Expeditions. It is up for sale sadly at 3500 euros!
[img][img]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... 6394_o.jpg[/img]
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Jaro's french girl friend

Post by Jaro »

I'm not telling you the name she's got -thats just between me and her -its private[img][img]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... 10992m.jpg[/img][/img]
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Derek and Pat Nissim

Post by Jaro »

Hello Kiwi, "Derek and Pat Nissim who live near Puivert" maybe I'm never sure, most people I meet in my local bar -200yds from my house, and of course in the morning I can never remember names and faces.