Spoiler

BX Tech talk
Oscar
1K Away

Spoiler

Post by Oscar »

What's it for?

The rear spoiler is the only outward difference between TGD and TZD that I can make out. Does it have a function or is it only for looks?

And if it's only for looks, and I like it, does that mean there's a latent Chav in me?

Yours worriedly

Oscar
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

It keeps downforce on the rear end when cornering at 120 plus and when first fitted will make you look in the mirror frequently , also handy for standing beer on when camping :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Whats it for? 'Style'!

It mildly affects the cars drag coefficient so will slightly reduce acceleration and top speed, and will slightly take away from fuel economy. In the case of the BX 'hoop' spoiler the effects are so minimal on the above factors that having a litre of spare LHM in the car probably makes more difference!

And for the same reasons it will never really make any difference to cornering ability! Aerodynamically it creates drag, which slows the back end of the car down and inturn forces it down to the ground. But with the effects of under car drag and turbulence from above, below and behind the car, you'll have to be going VERY fast before it makes any difference! and by very fast we are talking 200+mph.

Along with holding beer, it will also be the first thing to get ripped off when having a push start :D

It's not chav, its taste, and the BX looks some how more complete with rather than without! It's a deffinate do it!
Just dont go for half of halford slapped to the boot, thats just wrong!

Ironic, i sell one spoiler now everyone wants one!
M

Post by M »

Have to admit - the Xantias arse end looks pants without a spoiler, the BX looks a whole lot better for having one (bugger to see anything out of the rear window though in the BX, what with the rear head rests and that huge spoiler)

Actually was weighing up how the fook I change the rear wiper blade, only theres this big fook off lump of plastic in the way.....
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Here's one to try your technical brains out for you.
I fitted a rear spoiler to my CX a few years ago. When I hit around 80 kph+ I could feel the assend drop and then correct as the height correctors kicked in.
Now, as someone who raced cars many moons ago, I'm aware of the dramas excessive rear brake bias can cause, and the hydraulic suspension causes brake pressure to increase in proportion to a load at either end of the car, in this case the rear end, so my question is, does a spoiler in a case like that, increase the chances of having an accident due to rear wheel lock up in a vehicle where there is either only the driver or a driiver and one front seat passenger due to giving the brakes a false reading on the load at the rear?

Alan S :roll: :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I've got a spoiler on it already, but as I was polishing it up (lingeringly :? ) the other day the above questions started going through my head. I think it definitely completes the car, my TGD didn't have one and it looked incomplete.

So it's ok to like my spoiler. Thanks guys, I'm starting to feel good about myself again!

O
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

AlanS wrote:Here's one to try your technical brains out for you.
I fitted a rear spoiler to my CX a few years ago. When I hit around 80 kph+ I could feel the assend drop and then correct as the height correctors kicked in.
Now, as someone who raced cars many moons ago, I'm aware of the dramas excessive rear brake bias can cause, and the hydraulic suspension causes brake pressure to increase in proportion to a load at either end of the car, in this case the rear end, so my question is, does a spoiler in a case like that, increase the chances of having an accident due to rear wheel lock up in a vehicle where there is either only the driver or a driiver and one front seat passenger due to giving the brakes a false reading on the load at the rear?

Alan S :roll: :twisted:
No. It can't do. If you are braking at high speeds, then there is increased load on the rear wheels, so the braking will be accurate for the grip available. As the speed drops, so will the load on the rear suspension (no downforce any more) and thus so will the maximum braking ability. The beauty of the system means that it is almost impossible to lock the rear brakes, as if you are braking really really hard, and you have "weight transfer" (wrong term, but you know what I mean) to the front axle, then the back brakes will reduce their braking as the load comes off the suspension.

Theoretically, if you were braking on a super-dooper grippy road surface, and you braked so hard that the back end of the car lifted off the ground, then the brakes would be completely off.
this might be a signature
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I love these discussions...
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote: Actually was weighing up how the fook I change the rear wiper blade, only theres this big fook off lump of plastic in the way.....
Take the whole arm off. Don't forget to tighten the nut back up though, we don't want the arm falling off do we............... :wink:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I take the arm off too, I have tried stopping the arm when its vertical by switching the ignition off but it doesnt seem to help much, as for the spoiler, before I had one I thought they looked cool, I still think so, it completes the car. what about the front spoiler then fellers? I retrofitted my old GTI/TD with one, the TZD has one already
Stewart 8)
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I like the TZD spoiler too, that was one of the first thing I removed from my dead TZD and fitted to the TXD.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

And Stewart's bonnet scoop "to improve intercooler efficiency". That's a must too....
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

I fitted a rear spoiler to mine a few years back. This included painting the black bit on the tailgate. The spoiler makes the back of the car look so much better!

I have now fitted a front bumper spoiler. This changes the look of the front of the car and possibly protects the bottom of the bumper.
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Any advice as to fitting at TZD/GTI 'hoop' spoiler to the tailgate? I've got one thats been sitting around for ages and needs to be put on!!!
2007 Sportka