Help Required

BX Tech talk
Hurricane
BXpert

Help Required

Post by Hurricane »

Hey,

I've not gone mad but the Hurricane is kinda driving eratically when hot, and erm how can I put this 'buckaroo'ing' when driving, anyone get me with that? lol.

Left it running on the driveway before and it's sorta reving up and down, and I thought instead of my naff description I would post a video (which is also a bit naff).

Just took this, turn your speakers up high and listen carefully and you should be able to hear it, I hope.

Any help appreciated.

Martyn.
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Possibly air in fuel system?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Yes, I'll go with Ken. Had this myself about 12 years ago with a BX. Eventually tracked it down to air in the system. That was long before the days of the BX Club where help is on hand.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I can never actually seem to get my fuel system right for more than a few weeks, when it starts to falter again like this - that's what I'm doing later today :x
On the up-side, having looked at that exciting clip on Youtube that Martyn's posted I have been made aware of a Mongolian R'n'B singer called 'BX'!
Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy his records though

Here's 'BX My Love' - a song that Martyn's Mum won't be singing!

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Yes does indicate air entering the fuel line..

Fitting clear tube each side of the filter would aid locating the leak.

In my case it was the diaphragm, but these are not available as a spare, unless others know different.

Link below.

Good Luck.

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The roto-diesel pump relies on fuel pressure to operate its control mechanism - so air in the fuel can cause mysterious revvings -

Presumably the diaphragm Brian is referring to is the diaphragm fitted in the filter mounted priming pump.

Many air problems show up as bad starting. Does this car start well - ie first time after one or two turns of the engine when cold after proper heating?

Putting a length of plastic pipe as the last section before the pump will enable you to see if there is air in the supply

Your Roto-diesel pump is immune to troubles with the leakoff pipes - they just leak and smell. Bosch pumps are affected.
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

Thanks so much for the advice!!

It wont even start now so no use messing with it, knowing my Dad he'll make it much worse! :P
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

*Some* XUD engines (the pre fuel filter on the thermostat housing models only) had a fuel heater on the back of the engine which tends to go porous and let in air.

If your car has this fitted I would suggest bypassing it if no obvious air leaks are apparent.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

Right my Dad hasn't given up getting it running, it's buggered and we wont be driving it again, although everything points to bleeding it out? :?

Anyone know how we can do it? My Dad wants to have a go, so any help appreciated.
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Many diesels - such as those fitted to Land Rovers have separate lift pumps - in which case its necessary to bleed the primary (low pressure circuit with the lift pump in it) first to ensure that there is a reasonably air free supply available at the injection pump. Having done this the high pressure circuit canbe bled - usually by slackening the injector pipe unions at the injectors one at a time and rotating the engine on the starter until fuel sprays out. With luck after doing a couple the engine starts! If you're unlucky the battery goes flat.

On a BX the lift pump is incorporated in the injection pump, the thing can be primed with the bulb or knob on the fuel filter and if you are lucky the high pressure circuit bleeds itself.

If I were trying to bleed one I'd slacken the last low pressure pipe to the pump at its union with the pump and then operate the hand primer until fuel came out of the union. I'd then slacken an injector or 2 and rotate the engine on the starter and wait for some fuel to come out. This should happen quite quickly. Tighten the loose and primed injectors and do the others.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Watched your video, and it certainly looks like air could be the problem, and furthermore noted that the car is of the age that often had the fuel heater I discussed above...

It is somewhat difficult to reach from above, so perhaps it would be easiest working from underneath, and peer up the rear of the engine around the back of the water pump (which you can identify as it has a thick water pipe running to it fro the radiator.)

If the diesel feed hose enters a device in this region this is likely your problem, and if so proceed as follows:

1)Use some sort of cutting device to cut both the entry and exit diesel hoses as close to the unit as possible. Gardening secuteurs may work...

2)Join the two hoses together using a length of copper pipe of suitable suitable width, and secure with a couple of jubilee clips.

3)Loosen the banjo bolt where diesel enters the injector pump, and work the plunger until lots of nice diesel begins to pump out. Retighten the bolt, and give the plunger a few more strokes for luck.

4)Try and start the car. It will probably start now, but if not slacken the injector pipes and crank until there is diesel there, then retighten and again try and start the engine.

Good luck...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski