BX radio

BX Tech talk
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

BX radio

Post by Jaro »

I'm getting post happy now--anyway I bought a new radio, cheap one but its got lots of knobs, now I discover that maybe I can't fit it cause the original was a plug in type and used only one power feed. The plug socket jobby at the back of the new radio is not like the socket/plug one which is built into the radio holder. I went to Feu Vert my local car accessories place and this time not just to the see the girl with the huge breasts but to ask by gesture alone if they did a conversion bit --which apparently they do (except its out of stock) my question is has anybody heard of a conversion plug thingy which gets over the problem both of interconnect and the twin power feed issue. Of course what I need here is a excuse to go back and see those huge knockers
ta

Jaro
M

Post by M »

Im assuming here that your new radio has ISO connectors.

Its quite possible to buy a specific conversion lead, but most of us just get the generic ISO leads from the autofactors then hard wire them to the existing leads using scotchlocks (or if you want to do a proper job, heat shrink sleve and solder the wires in).

I have not got my copy of the wiring diagram with me but you will need to either join in the live feed you have (red) with the ISO fixed live (??Orange) and switched live (red) this will of course mean that your radio may be lit up all the time, even with the engine off. Far betetr to find a switched live from the fuse box and route a wire from this to the ISO leads. Also wire in the "lighting" wire (??Yellow) to the switched live if you do this - not all stereos have a sepparate lighting wire these days as most light up like a christmas tree when switched on anyway.

Good luck.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Modern radios will probably have the ISO style plugs or sockets - Maplins sell the necessary bit to fasten to the car wiring - leaving the appropriate plug or socket.

Your modern radio probably only has an electronic on/off switch - and is intended to be switched by the ignition key. The BX has a permanently live supply - which will probably flatten the battery if you rely on the electronic switch only (My BX would survive a week or so just.)

The alternatives are to provide another switched supply or to extend the existing supply and fit a simple on/off switch somewhere convenient.

You will still need the unswitched memory supply.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »