Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A certain member gives the impression he thinks I'm getting ideas above my station. If anyone believes I'm out of order in 'promoting' the idea of a charity run on this Forum (until I get a dedicated website I guess), please tell me. I do listen to constructive criticism too, so if you think I'm missing something in what I'm putting forward, again let me know.

As for putting forward someone elses, as opposed to my own views - as if I would be presumptous enough to do that - that's bollocks. If anyone wants to complain about something I've posted, feel free to PM me or answer the post.

Now, onto BX news.
Rear headrests now in the GTi, people can travel in the back without fear of instant death if a bicycle hits us up the rear.

Still on its original struts after 209k miles. They creak a bit but nothing untoward. However, will struts with this sort of wear give a poorer ride than they should? I notice the car is quite unsettled by pot holes and bumps, but that maybe because it rides hard, having proper GTi spheres. Time will tell.

And the non (or rather partly) - functional) radio: It's a pull-out Clarion. To remove it I need to take out the chassis too, a tricky job. Now, if I was to acquire another pull-out Clarion set I wouldn't have to do that would I? (Thinks... if the problem is a connection in the back then I'd be wasting my time... so I will take the whole assembly out...)

TTFN
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Philip Chidlow wrote: If anyone wants to complain about something I've posted, feel free to PM me or answer the post.
But why bother? At best you'll get pissy, at worst all hell will break loose! Oh and baiting billy will always work as he derives moe pleasure out of it that we do from laughing at it!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, there's no harm in suggesting it. I'll try to remain reasonable.

I thought I'd mention it as it's not my intention to appear to be 'pissy'. Well, unless it's a Saturday night... :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip Chidlow wrote:A certain member gives the impression he thinks I'm getting ideas above my station. If anyone believes I'm out of order in 'promoting' the idea of a charity run on this Forum (until I get a dedicated website I guess), please tell me. I do listen to constructive criticism too, so if you think I'm missing something in what I'm putting forward, again let me know.

As for putting forward someone elses, as opposed to my own views - as if I would be presumptous enough to do that - that's bollocks. If anyone wants to complain about something I've posted, feel free to PM me or answer the post.
Here's what I said:

"Erm, maybe it's just me but the rolling eyes icons, your seemed shock that it's more than the scrap price and the 'nice try Billy...' comment it sure looks to me like you're trying to be smug.
Inicdentally of course it's useable: it's taxed, MOT'd, working and fine for everyday use, which it's had recently. Unless none of those key items count?
Cheers for patronising me though ('Gave us a good laugh. Thanks for that) as it made all the difference. No, honest it did.
I don't see the value in this carrying on but if you'd like to that's fine with me but I hope you don't mind me asking something: in some of your posts in the last months I'm wondering if your messages are actually your own thoughts or those of someone who seems to want to become a bigger part of things here. I genuinely aplogise if I have that wrong but experience of these things on other forums usually leads to that person(s) asking for moderation status.
Once again I genuinely apologise if I have that wrong and if everything you have posted has been from the heart then fair play to you as I believe that's the only way posts should be made on any forum."

Now, please explain where in that message does it say anything whatsoever that you're 'out of order for promoting the idea of a charity run? That's complete and utter bollocks and you know it, and to use this charity event to have a pop at me is totally unacceptable and, being quite frank, the mark of a shit house, just the same as suggesting what I said was 'bollocks' on here but not the thread about my car/van for sale.
You can say what you like and do what you like it's a free world but a) don't take me for a mug, b) don't get smug with or patronise me and c) NEVER have the fucking affrontery to completely wrongly use charitable causes against me. How dare you suggest my post was about that? I'll support almost any charity going and thoroughly admire anyone who does their bit to raise money for them too. I'm not going to do a 'Smashey and Nicey' on here but believe me I do my bit for good causes when needed and, once again, to use charitable causes against me completely out of context is wrong. Very, very wrong and if you've anything at all about you I'd like to see an apology for that.
Oh, when you do get your charity run sorted out let me know and I'll happily donate whatever I can.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Steady on Billy. The recent postings about a charity event was the only material I could think of where it might have appeared that I was trying be some sort of moderator wannabe - because really, what perhas I should have done was approach Jon, et al. with the idea and get it organised as a BX Club thing - not just mine.

So really, Billy I wasn't having a pop at you about anything to do with Charity per se. Sorry - really I am - if I offended you. But I can assure you I didn't mean to suggest you opposed the idea of a charity event. I honestly thought (and I have worried about this myself) that using the Forum for this - without the prior discussion with the moderators - was a little, let's say, presumptious.

I'd just like to know the recent posts where I appear to have been speaking with some sort of moderator-ish hat on? PM me if you like. I don't want to have public arguments on here, in particular. Either that or shal we let it be, and I won't mention it again.

So everyone's OK with me dealing with setting up this event via the Forum?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I would like to publicly apologise unconditionally to Billy for the misunderstanding.

I trust we can put this behind us and carry on.

Now, as this Charity gig grows, I can announce that we have a volunteer who will be our human Sat Nav and get down to detailed planning of the route. His identity will be revealed once I've exchanged e-mails and we can agree what it entails.

I'll handle sponsorship and publicity if that's OK. So we'll need a Head of Technical Support (ie oily rag with a BX technical manual in his head) and someone to ensure we get the most out of any money collected.

Any further thoughts on which charity?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote: So everyone's OK with me dealing with setting up this event via the Forum?
Phil, I suppose Cav was referring to many posts of yours that (intended or not) come over as somewhat 'Imperial'.

Many of your posts field hypothetical questions or intentions as discussion points but generally are not pursued to any fruition. But sorry, some that do like your 16v are very short lived after parts contributions have been made by members.

Is this Charity proposal more than that? Because once monies from participants and sponsors are collected or deposited into the Building Society account you propose to open, then things take on more serious implications. Aside from moral considerations there are legalities to observe and I'm sure that no one on here or those that participate want to fall foul of them for any reason.

It takes a lot of dedication to "make things happen" and if you think that you have this then of course I for one wish you great success with the end result! :D Charity choice needs to be made first though in my view if it's aim is as a charity event.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

With respect Way2go you do not know me at all. You do not know what I can achieve when I turn my hand to it. I can sort of understand where you are coming from, and cynicism is justified to a degree. (But Way2go, Billy accuses me of being patronising. Your posting is a fine example, if I may say).

Let's see. I'm not promising that it will happen 100% as I've never done a charity 'event' before. But it's a good idea (I think) and with enough support I will endeavour to see it through.

As for coming over as Imperial that's your opinion. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I try to be even-handed. I also happen to enjoy discussions and debates for their own sake, I'm not sure something concrete has to emerge at the end of every chatty postulation. Is it my way of writing that rubs you up?

Also no-one was more gutted than I that I had to sell the valver. It is unfair of you to take some sort of moral high-ground on that subject as you don't know enough about the reasons. Suffice to say there were a number of factors outside my control. Shame as it was a nice car when I had to sell. Don't rub it in.

Back to the event: As for the legal implications and the financial aspect I will approach a firm of accountants to help out (gratis) if I can. And research should reveal methods and proceedures etc. Maybe if you get the time you could perhaps add to the discussion about possible pitfalls (something which needs to happen sooner rather than later) with a few links or references for us to follow up?

As a general note, if anyone does have experience in organising a charitable event speak up, please. Insight and experience count for a lot.

Now, was that too Imperial or just about OK? :lol: (Pasted in the right emoticon for a change!)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

^^^^ ...and how patronising is that reply! Sorry! :D
This, being my blog means I can make a hash of it if I like.

Should I change my username to Philip 'Minty' Chidlow?

(as in Mint Imperial :lol: )
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ok.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Great, Billy. Now. On to 'business':

In association with Matt the route for the BXagon Challenge (as it is becoming known) is being much more thoroughly worked out. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I will meet with a couple of people who will be able to help me establish the practicalities of setting this up.

In the meantime we need a Treasurer/sectretary. For (obvious to me) reasons I want to be distanced form any involvement witht e handling of money raised for the charities (moe on that later). Each entrant (team) will have to arrange their own budgets for expeneses etc. I think it best that we all organise our own crossings too and rendez-vous in Calais (or just outside) on a set time and date.

So the question has to be asked: what date suits most people. given with preparation, the drive, and return will take up about two weeks in all - (at least, depending on the amount of BX preparation needed!) it isn't ever going to be easy.

I was thinking May 2010. Is that a good starting poiunt? (One question I have - as we will be negotiating parts that get a bit snowy in the winter season - on the Swiss and Italian border :D being the Alps and all - will that be OK then?)...

Alternatively we do October (at least we get a potential start date of 20.10.2010 8) )...

Any thoughts?

In the meantime, I will be posting a lot more detailed draft route (prior to Matt's input so it is sure to alter) for general observations.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I think you should avoid spending money on this GTi as you'll have sold it in 6 months time :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Cheeky bugga (but in a way kind of understandable!)...

Well, Kitch, you never know. But I spent so little on acquiring it, and really all I need to do is service, tax and MOT it at the moment, I am quite relieved and happy to be back in cheap BX ownership after the frustration/expense of having a 16v. There's a difference between having £2,000's worth of BX parked up outside for all but two hours a week and with the wife refusing to drive it and having one that owes me £150 that gets used.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Who knows what BX we will be driving in 2010?!

I have to say, the main concern about the BXagon Challenge is that it seems so far in the future that it's kind of difficult to plan for - seeing as our BXs (old as they are) could, even barring accident, theft or necessary sale, be off the road by then.

SO
I think I will look into bringing the whole event to September or October 2009. This means by the end of September I will need to have established, with help from others, how it will all work. Then, hopefully it gives the best part of a year for any participants to prepare and raise sponsorship and secure donations.

BUT
I'm not promising that it can be done by then, just that I will look into it.

Thoughts?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Christ, thats only a year away, which seems rather close at hand now!

I know for fact both my old sheds will still be on the road, unless they get written off or nicked.

Me thinks maybe getting a list together of people who are taking part and willing to use their cars for it.
Then, say, a couple of months before the start date We get together and give each car a thorough going over to ensure (as much as you can with anything mechanical) that it's in good health for the trip.

Or am I talking pain killer induced bullshit?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...