Citroen BX TZD Turbo Break

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

stuart_hedges wrote:Just for Mat - LEVELLERS!
Excellent! :D

I like the sound of the event. What did you think to the atmosphere, as I would imagine that it had a more laid back friendly feel than more 'mainstream' music festivals?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

mat_fenwick wrote:I like the sound of the event. What did you think to the atmosphere, as I would imagine that it had a more laid back friendly feel than more 'mainstream' music festivals?
Really nice, yes - very friendly. I went on my own this year, but I had company all the time that I wanted it; chatting to people in queues and on the field etc. Being a Morris dancer helps, I made sure to wear a BMM logo all weekend and met some people that way.

I've been about five times and for me, this was one of the best. Because of my work I've never been able to get time off to go to any others, but I'm planning on going to Towersey as well next year - I'm sorry I missed it this year as the lineup looked excellent and loads of my friends are going.
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

The Festival

Post by pindimar »

Thanks Stu for posting the pics.... it looks as though a wheely good time was had by all!

Oh perlease, you say!

Greg F
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Having looked over smiffy's car at the weekend, I've decided that what I need to make my life complete is a chin spoiler and a 16v instrument cluster. Watch this space!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

stuart_hedges wrote:a 16v instrument cluster.
Agreed, a man can never have too many dials (or lights!) What you need (as well as the dials) is this guide, and a liberal helping of David R wouldn't go amiss I guess...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks Mat! Citroens of this era have always made me nervous, with the "you've just killed your engine" light. My first GS didn't even have that - I suspect the first sign of overheating I'd have had would be molten alloy dripping out of the engine bay...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

stuart_hedges wrote:Citroens of this era have always made me nervous, with the "you've just killed your engine" light.
It's interesting, the folklore that builds up around the Citroen! :? Especially regarding that red light! In my experience the red light provides additional info to the temperature gauge and if acted upon does not signify an already dead engine but probable congestion in some of the head waterways.

My GTi showed 90 degree normal water temperature on the gauge one day and the red light illuminated. I did what is recommended and it went out but it did it again and no, the temperature gauge was not stuck because the temperature would rise when the engine was turned off.

I flushed the cooling system with 'Barr's Professional flush' and that cured the problem and the red light is only seen now on the light check before the engine is started. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yeah, was one of the first jobs I did on mine (after welding the front door hinges). I was fortunate to find a valve in a local scrapyard, when BXs were slightly more plentiful.
It would sit rock solid bang in the middle of the gauge, until a year or so ago when it would rise when climbing long hills. So fortunately I got an early indication that the radiator (now changed) was probably silting up slightly, (despite regular flushes).

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

To be fair, the only time I've seen that light on was on the CX, about 30 seconds before steam and water started belching out of the rad cap. I would just be reassured by having a gauge too...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

stuart_hedges wrote:To be fair, the only time I've seen that light on was on the CX, about 30 seconds before steam and water started belching out of the rad cap. I would just be reassured by having a gauge too...
The gauge is a definite 'good to have' as it gives you reassurance that the thermostat is opening as it should and the radiator hasn't become blocked up too.
What surprised me and caused me much head scratching initially was how the red light was measuring coolant much hotter than the gauge was measuring. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote:
stuart_hedges wrote:To be fair, the only time I've seen that light on was on the CX, about 30 seconds before steam and water started belching out of the rad cap. I would just be reassured by having a gauge too...
The gauge is a definite 'good to have' as it gives you reassurance that the thermostat is opening as it should and the radiator hasn't become blocked up too.
What surprised me and caused me much head scratching initially was how the red light was measuring coolant much hotter than the gauge was measuring. :wink:
What the gauge also does is allow you to know if the engine is running too cool. So many times I've bought a car and the thermostat has been buggered. Change the stat, and there's an instant 5-10% improvement in fuel economy, and a massive improvement in heater output.

I do find it odd that only the top-end models had a proper gauge. Even my seats-are-an-optional-extra panel van has a proper gauge (although it doesn't have a rev-counter...)
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

DavidRutherford wrote:Even my seats-are-an-optional-extra panel van has a proper gauge (although it doesn't have a rev-counter...)
Is that why you had to put Vauxhall seats in it? </innocent>
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I have been very naughty lately, concentrating on life rather than the BX, and this is the result. This is what happens when you don't wash your BX for three months then drive it up the M4 to Bristol in hideous weather conditions. I don't think I've ever let a car get so dirty!

At least it gave me a chance to see what it might look like with graphite alloys on.

I have washed it since :oops:
Timo1990-NL
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Timo1990-NL »

I love that color!! :oops:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:I don't think I've ever let a car get so dirty!

Amateur.

stuart_hedges wrote:I have washed it since :oops:
I haven't. I even presented it for MOT like this! :wink:
this might be a signature