PLATES!

Anything about BXs
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

At 80 mph ots doing about 2600 rpm so would be doing around about 26mpg i can get 35mpg out of it at a steady 60, 5 speed manual mine you see!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip chidlow wrote:I've seen (honest) PEN 15 on a BMW (what else?) outside LWT in London (where else?) O:)
Formerly the property of a famous motorcross champion who got done quite regulary for rounding off the 5. Then passed to a world superbike champion, possibly Fogarty.
Vauxhall apologist.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

2001: In Warwick on a stop-over before going to view the GSA in Shropshire next day that I was destined to buy, I saw an Audi with the numberplate W1 GSA :D

... which I determined was an auguring sign, so I photographed it for posterity (can't find it!). Also randomly saw a TR7 in the same area, and my dad has one of those. Took that to be another sign, so I photographed that too!

Mark.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The one on my car is good for someone called adam but i have no idea of its value or anything else it could spell H51 ADM
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And I've got one for a sporty Renault: H457 ELF (i.e. Elf as opposed to Total!) :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

Keith Harris can be seen regulaly swanning round Blackpool / St. Annes in a Black Merc with the plates "ORV1L".
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I sold B51 XKR on ebay for £185 to a chap with a Jag XKR. NewReg had quoted me £250 for it but I had to get rid of the car in a hurry so I was dead pleased with the ebay price I got for it!

The plate I got back from the DVLA to replace it was B888 TEC - I bet I could have got some cash for that too!
M

Post by M »

stuart_hedges wrote: NewReg had quoted me £250 for it but I had to get rid of the car in a hurry
New reg are a waste of space when it comes to selling reg plates and very rarely "buy" any in - they only sell on comission. They quoted me £250 - £300 for DAP 26B - but only if they acted as an agent. In the end I parted it for some work to my (then) Laguna to the oily bloke at the garage who put it onto a spridget he was restoring.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If you have a replacemntn reg alloted to your car after a plate change it is then non transferable sadly.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Marty wrote:
stuart_hedges wrote: NewReg had quoted me £250 for it but I had to get rid of the car in a hurry
New reg are a waste of space when it comes to selling reg plates and very rarely "buy" any in - they only sell on comission. They quoted me £250 - £300 for DAP 26B - but only if they acted as an agent. In the end I parted it for some work to my (then) Laguna to the oily bloke at the garage who put it onto a spridget he was restoring.
I had them over a barrel big time. I`ve sold two or three plates over the yearsa nd these plate agencies are a waste of time pretty much.
Anyhow New Reg said they`d sell my plate (ALF ***S) and would give me commission blah blah blah.
I then enquired a month or so later how they were getting on and they very kindly sent me a letter saying they`d buy it off me for an agreed amount (the same amount I`d have got in commission). Phoned to ask when I was getting my money and they said it was a mistake and they hadn`t intended to actually buy it off me. I`d realised this of course but went off on one down the phone at them and promised to cause a huge stink if they didn`t honour their letter. Said I take them to the Personalised Number Dealers Association and get hold of the motoring press etc. Leave it with us they said. Two days later a cheque arrived exactly the amount they said and two or three years later they still had it up for sale.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I once went after a bike with STU650V on it, then the dealer heard my name and it got dearer :x I look at it this way, the number plate affects neither the reliability or the performance of the car, plus all used cars come with a set fitted FREE!
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

True, or you could always do what some old dear I sold a Rover 200 too did a few years ago, she liked the idea of having her initials on her car so went out to Halfords (before the days of regulations) and had some plates made up with V1 whatever on it and promply had them fitted.

She drove round for a good few months until her next service date where upon our service manager kindly informed her of how legally to get a private plate, when she was told how much it would cost she said OH NO DEAR im not paying that!, so we reattched her correct number plates and off she went!

If I did that you just know I would get pulled over by the police!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I was told a tale this week about a chap who won a competition, he got a free Yamaha sport bike with the (Genuine) plate YAM R1 and apparently was getting pulled by the plod twice a day because they thought it was a showroom plate, still lucky though
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

I want some like these for my car.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Yeh I like those too, anyone know where to get them and what about getting bx club put on the bottom of them?

Tim