BXAGON CHALLENGE

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Trust you had a good trip! Welcome back; I look forward to seeing what you come up with re: route.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

An appeal: Can anyone who is interested in doing this event let me have your e-mail addresses via a PM and I can keep everyone up to date.
Cheers!

Phil
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Done!
I should have read this before saying it had gone quiet really shouldn't I!!!
Doh.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just a note to let you all know Doc, (Chris G) has kindly volunteered to become the Event's Technical Advisor.

Excellent and a real boon.

Any volunteers for the following?

SPONSORSHIP COORDINATOR (this is someone who can keep all the information about who's raised what and where it's going - it does not involve handling money but it does mean liaising on a regular basis with each team.).

FRENCH REPRESENTATIVE(S) (We have a couple who have expressed interest; the role really is to provide each team with a guide to driving in France with some wisdom that could only come from someone who actually lives there. This, or these representative(s) would also need to be able to determine if there're any French laws (relating to events like this) that we should adhere to and write letters in French as appropriate).

NB: Chris joins Mr. Matt Fenwick (Route Planner) and myself (in the capacity of Event Manager).
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I am sending e-mails out to those members who expressed an interest in supporting or participating in the Event.

As a reminder to all those chaps, can you get back to me this weekend?

Also if there's anyone else I've either overlooked or can't find an e-mail address for (macker37?) or indeed wants to get involved, please get in touch via my e-mail address.

Cheers

Phil
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

UPDATE:
It is my intention to provide a weekly update on the event. It's called - after Phil Boxall (Kermit)'s catchy slogan: Let's Do It.

So here's the first (a bit edited down for this posting):
Only 392 days to go. :-)

THE PLAN:
Here is a draft SECOND version of the plan 1.0 originally proposed a few days ago. I have taken on board various suggestions and am glad to report that feedback has been good and - as far as I am aware - all agree with the strategy. If anyone has any queries or would like points clarified, please let me know. Any suggestions for significant changes need to be supported by a realistic alternative, but will be duly considered. this is still not 'set' in concrete (although it is hardening...;-)

The BXagon Challenge Charity Event
17th - 31st October 2009

ROUTE PLANNER (Matt Fenwick).
SPONSORSHIP COORDINATOR (Jack Fallon 'Jack').
EVENT CHAIRMAN (Philip Chidlow).
1st TECHNICAL ADVISOR (Chris Gould 'Doc').
2nd TECHNICAL ADVISOR (Philip Boxall 'Kermit').
FRENCH REPRESENTATIVE (John Rolfe 'Jaro').

A two-stage 'launch'.
The objective of the first stage (to be soon), which includes a 'mission statement', dates, times and places (with the note: subject to change!) is to establish who is interested: We need to know roughly how many teams will be taking part. 'Official' entry forms will be distributed to interested parties.

Then the second (main) launch (hopefully before Xmas): In effect this will announce the event to the World. I will organise a website, an e-mail template, various bits and bobs that will enable a team to go around gathering sponsorship.

This to be followed by the occasional 'publicity' initiative.

MISSION STATEMENT: 
The BXagon Challenge Event has been devised to achieve the following:
• Raise useful amounts of money for charity.
• At the same time, to raise awareness and appreciation of the significance of the BX in the History of Citroen and motoring in general.
• To encourage liaison and collaboration between not only British and French BX owners, but all European classic Citroen enthusiasts.
• To establish this kind of event as a regular donator to charity and inspire others to do the same.

... and to have a great time driving the Citroen BX through the nation of its birth, of course!

ENTRY: There will be a £25 entry fee for each team. This will not go to lining my pockets but will pay for the web-page hosting, printing, postage costs etc. The funds will be held in a savings account with interest (what little there will be, going into the pot). Plus each entrant can buy a limited edition tee-shirt at a discounted cost.
I will try to obtain car/window stickers for free as part of event sponsorship (see later). I will find out if we should arrange insurance cover (civil liability) as a precaution against claims against the Event itself. Anything left in the kitty goes to the Event Charity.

DONATIONS: I hope to raise over £5,000 for charity through the BXagon Challenge. The Event will be publicised as being in support of a single charity - Cancer Research UK. The outline proposal being for each Team (see below) taking part, a minimum of £300 (although I expect more!)needs to have been raised for this EVENT CHARITY. This means we should be considering fielding about 10 teams. allowing for general 'Event sponsorship' and given there's over a year to prepare I don't think this is too ambitious.
Donations should be made via the Event Website - which will be launched in the New Year latest - (where there will be a link to the special JustGiving page (TBC) in order to take advantage of the Gift Aid scheme), or by cheques made out to the charity, pledges and so on. No cash is to be taken as a matter of policy.

In recognition of the fact that some members live in France and elsewhere, I believe we should allow an exception, allowing those members to raise donations for an equivalent French charity.

EVENT SPONSORSHIP: In my capacity as Event Manager, I will contact some major companies and organisations with a view to them supporting the event and/or the Event Charity in some way. In the case of someone such as Total, maybe a donation to the Event Charity plus a couple of dozen litres of LHM for example, or with Citroen UK possibly an additional donation to the teams themselves in the form of vouchers that can be redeemed at Citroen Parts/Service centres... and so on. I'll try and be creative in how I approach potential sponsors. (As I mentioned, I will approach Accor to see if we can obtain a discount at Ibis and Formule 1 hotels).

TEAMS: A 'team', as I see it would be one BX with a crew of two. It is conceivable that a team could field more than one car - but I doubt that will happen.

When entering the Event, a disclaimer will need to be signed by each team absolving the Event organisers of responsibility for any infractions or offences committed during the BXagon Challenge.
Each team will be responsible for:
• Travel in the UK and crossings (that is ensuring arrival at the event departure point at the agreed date and time!)
• Fielding a road-worthy and legal BX and a relatively fit crew.
• Ensuring both crew members are appropriately insured.
• Arrange their own accommodation for the route bearing in mind the designated way points (some deviation from the route to stay at a different hotel/visit friends/camp is understandable).
• Pay their own way with regard to fuel, maintenance, food and drink, stop-overs, tolls, fines (let's hope not), etc.
• Undertake to conduct themselves responsibly on and off the road, as ambassadors of the Event and by association its sponsors and supporters (not least the BX Club).
• Ensure adequate communications are available (mobile phones) - and that international roaming is enabled.
• All necessary documentation is carried en route.
• French law is adhered to: (e.g. emergency kit requirements, such as reflective vests etc. and using headlight deflectors).
• Each team is advised to carry a good first aid kit...

BXAGON 2.0

A note on SPONSORSHIP:
I am awaiting a response form Citroen UK, but won't wait too long before approaching other potential Event Sponsors. I'll keep all up-to-date with developments.

NOTE: In view of the news about Alan S this will now be called:
BXClub (UK)
Alan Smith Memorial
Charity Event

The 'BXagon' Challenge 2009
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Phil
Having been away most of the weekend and only just caught up with thing's

I would just like to say what a wonderful and fitting tribute to Alan S this is and i am sure he will be watching over us in the coming months and on the event.

My sincere sympathy goes to his family and all of his friends.

I hope this event will be the start of a long running charity cause for all of us. LETS DO IT

Regards Phil Boxall (Kermit)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
M

Post by M »

Now looking for a suitable car - Im waiting on some details from Ken about the estate.

Might I suggest picking up some cheap PMR446 radios ( I got a pack of 4 from Somerfield whilst on holiday for £20 - these are the straight 8 channel ones rather than the more expensive ones with USB and LSB modes) They work fine from car to car, though range is limited.

For longer range might I suggest looking for a cheap CEPT (commonly refered to as Mid band) euro CB radio rig mated up to a DV27 and mag mount - the whole outfit should cost a lot less than £50 ( my own cost £20) and the range is superb - but yu myst make sure its CEPT Euro not CEPT UK27 or PRUK27 (known as muppets) as those frequencies are illigal to use anywhere but the UK.

Cheaper than mobile to mobile phone contact.

Muppet and Mids rig with 10Kc shift added - probably a bit OTT unless you are into your CB, but cheap
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I've got some nifthy walkie-talkies with a range getting on for 2kms or more on flat surfaces/roads and ideal for 'on the move' car-to-car (line of sight) communication. I guess. If we can sort frequencies out we could all carry one per car as they aren't expensive to buy maybe, as a supplement to mobiles.

Latest news is that cost of texts and calls due to fall again in Europe soon, to as little as 9p per text/27p per min call.

kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

We could have a lead car and a closing car on each section as they do in rallying which could contact each other if a problem occurs.

ie;- someone in the middle of the pack breaks down the rest behind may stop and help but the closing car for that section would be carrying the emergency spares kit. and a tow rope etc.

These cars could be different for each section so long as the closing car is not the one that breaks down we should be ok. :lol:

if anyone would like to comment on this idea even if you think its totally bonkers i wont mind (honest)

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, I think in principle that's sensible.

But, in my opinion, in practice it will be very difficult to stick to. Across the Gobi desert maybe, but with each of our stages being a 'manageable' distance it should be OK.

HOWEVER. Let's debate this idea. After all, I've never done this before!
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

PMR 446 radios are handy and cheap, but of very limited range. Car to car, 1km at best.

CBs give a range of some miles, and have the advantage that everyone in the area can hear transmissions, and all passengers can hear the receiver.

As previously suggested, a magmount aerial on the roof is very effective and easily installed. On petrol engines, ignition interference can limit range if the radio is not wired in well or there is an ignition fault.
CBs can also be good fun with a group of people.

Mobile phones of course have the best range, but only two people can communicate at one time, which is not good if you want to say 'lets all stop at the next rest area for a drink.'

So I recommend a CB and a mobile phone in each car.

To keep phone call costs down, the organiser should buy a French SIM card. Better still, all participants buy one. I do not know how easy they are to get in France - the UK is very lax in this.

Mike
Last edited by Mike E (uk) on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think the CB thing is more suited to 'wilderness' adventures etc... :-)

Although I won't insist CBs are mandatory I will now put out a request for a COMMUINICATIONS ADVISOR. Someone with the knowledge to really help complete CB novices become users if that's what they want.

As for the SIMs. If it's anything like the UK I don't think I can just buy up a bunch of SIMs for a couple of quid each and distribute them. Aren't phones locked into Orange etc.? COMMS ADVISOR: please advise :lol:

ENTRY FORM please check it out everyone!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A couple of people have asked if they can enrol either as individuals (to be 'teamed up' later) or if they can return the form with the details of the BX 'pending'... OF COURSE! Everyone: Please apply using your common sense: I am extremely flexible: All I want is AS MANY BX BUMS on BX SEATS as possible!!! I have set a target of £10,000 for the charity. I hope we can exceed this!