Build Quality

Anything about BXs
ken newbold
Over 2k

Build Quality

Post by ken newbold »

What do other people think of the build quality of the BX vs Xantia.

Personally I think the BX is far superior. I can get under an H reg BX and you'd have to look hard to find rust, whereas I've been under a few Xantias and there's rust everywhere, nuts and bolts can't be unscrewed for rust, rear subframes that are almost rotten.

There's a guy has one opposite our local pub, got rid of his BX17D and now has this N plate TD, the rust is almost half way up the doors.

While the Xantia feels a bit more "business like" when you're sat in the cab I think it's a false impression.

Come on fellas, back me up. :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Couldn`t agree more. As I`ve stated previously I used to work in the local auction and in about 2-2.5 years I can honestly say I never drove a single Xantia that wasn`t riddled with faults. Mostly headgaskets but suspension/electrical/locking/key faults were also in abundance and I never felt at home in one.
BTW Ken, has your friend still got the interior from the Xantia? It`s a long shot but someone may want it.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Ha ha... an alarm has just gone off on my PC... did someone mention Xantias?

It is one thing to keenly support a particular vehicle (BX) but it is going too far to blindly support that model against others of equal merit.

Some may know that I have owned and serviced many BXs... and currently service a fair size fleet of Xantias. In addition I still run the 1993 Xantia SX TD we bought some 6yrs ago. I still run this Xantia because as yet I have not found a better car for our needs.

All the Xantias I look after, and my own in particular, are completely rust free, reliable and rewarding cars to own. In fact for years I have said that the Xantia built on the BXs undoubted strengths to produce a car that appealed to a broader range of folks and suffered fewer quirky issues.

The best possible example of the comparison is my cousin who owned a red 1988 BX 17RD from almost new up to 1997. In 1997 they bought a low mileage 1996 1.9TD Xantia which they still have and by chance arrives this afternoon for a service.

So we have the two cars in the same colour run over about 9yrs and 100,00mls by the same driver. Both were serviced by the book.

When sold in 1997 the BX was sadly a rattly old dog with wickedly faded paint, tatty interior, broken glovebox, welded up top door hinge, failed rear arm bearings etc . You all know the score with a BX like that. It took a major mid-life restoration to keep it on the road for a while longer. You can read about this at... http://www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.uk/RecycledBX.htm

In comparision at the same relative age/mileage their Xantia is still a smooth, quiet car with shiny paint and mint interior, original perfect rear arms... not one single outstanding fault. And all it has ever needed over and above routine servicing is a clutch, tyres, silencer, brake pads/discs.

Of course what it very important to consider in the comments you both make re Xantias is that there are very very few modern cars that are unreliable as such... it's just that owners are very unreliable in maintaining/fixing them properly.

David
Citroen supporter for 25yrs plus. Former CCC BX/Xantia columnist. I like Land Rovers & John Deeres too!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

To be fair my late father had a new Xantia 1.8i SX in late 94, we had it three years /75000 miles and besides a appetite for eating oil it was a greatcar and never went wrong :D, mainly i think to correct but expensive servicing. The build quality and space was far superior inside to the BX 19TGD it replaced and tho bland Primera that replaced it :roll: . (we had no choice lol)

Its still going strong 11 years later im glad to hear and like the bx is a handsome distinctive car, with unrivaled ride comfort. I can agree tho there would be more things to go wrong on it than its predecessor and although I did drive it very often the driving poistion took some getting used too but effortless none the less, and it was a petrol which i dont like! (unless its a V8!)

Sadly he died at christmas 1998 :( but it was his Black 84 19RD that made me a BX fan, if he were still alive I know would be a avid member of the Club! :)
M

Post by M »

My Xantia is OK - couple of niggles but nothing to get too upset about.
The ZX is the same. The BX did have a long list of faults - but in fairness I bought a lemony flavoured one.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Marty wrote:The BX did have a long list of faults - but in fairness I bought a lemony flavoured one.
...known in French as <<avec une saveur de citron>> :D

or un citron BX!

Mark.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Can't agree with Ken's proposition. Conversations with BX owners, Xant owners and proper Citroen enthusiast garagistes show that the Xant will look better than a BX, even when both are given correct and timely servicing.

If you're talking about fun to drive and distinctive looks, though, the BX wins hands down!
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Agreed Xantias and Bxs are both worth about the same (i.e bugger all) but the Xantias being newer and better built is wearing well, mind you I havent seen a rusty one of either!

I choose a bx only because I prefer them, but im sure some people prefer the xantia but hey who cars lol were alll different and thats what makes life exciting!
Last edited by tim leech on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

My Hurricane was pretty damn rusty underneath. In fact most Hurricanes i've seen are very rusty.

The 4x4 is exceptionally good though.

I personally think the general trim/fit and finish of the Xantia is better. The Xantias i've been in tend to have less squeaks and rattles.

From a drivers car point of view i think you have to go to the Activa to beat any BX.
Over and out from me
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It seems I shall have to start carrying my camera around with me for those of you who haven't seen a rusty Xantia, maybe it's because they painted them such horrible colours they don't show the rust. :wink:

On a slightly different note, I went to a local scrappies looking for a Xant door locking mechanism. 6 Xantias in one yard, not one of them had a full lock set left. Also interesting to see how many have had wiring mods to the fuel cut off soleniod, only 5 out of 6.

However I do know of one guy who owns one who has had no grief whatsoever with his and he loves it. That'll probably stuff him now :lol:
Last edited by ken newbold on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Ken I'm not sure you're being objective about this...your signature make me doubt your lack of bias.... :D
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I own a BX and a ZX and look after a number of Xantias for family members, I think the Xantias are more refined, better soundproofed, larger and heavier (Slower) than the smaller cars, they universally have electrical problems, though none serious enough to stop them, who knows? perhaps it will become normal for drivers to let themselves in through the passenger side in all cars one day :) but they generally seem to keep their finish inside and outside longer than the BX which is a bit fragile in regard to the finish and interior, however the faults are all well documented and fixable, then again I am biased in favour of the BX :D
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Who me :?: I make no secret of the fact, I don't like them, and they don't like me.

If I do have to get under one I always use axle stands AND wooden blocks. Don't trust-em :)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I have both a BX and a ZX - and I suppose the ZX is about the same age as the BX was when I bought it but much less mileage. I've got to say though that whiule I much prefer the BX to drive , the ZX is a much more robust car - seemingly with all the BX faults designes out. Trim is quiet, electrics seem much more solidly built, minor controls have a nice quality feel about them, electric windows race rather than struggle and so on.

I've no reason to think that the construction of the Xantia isn't the same and certainly in Hampshire none since series 1 BX seem to rust severely.

Mind you both Zx and Xantia are enormously heavy for what they are!

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Like I say my experience of Xantias was in the auction, most of which had probably been battered round as a mini cab for years then clocked and sold on to an unsuspecting punter.
I still couldn`t get a `feel` for them though but I shall make it known I meant no offence to any Xantia owners, each to their own and all that. After all I like Cavaliers and I`ll freely admit they`re not on the top of everyone`s wish list of cars.
What`s the betting there`s a Xantia forum somewhere and they`re having a good old dig at BX`s? :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.