Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's a good idea. Yes a year away is a bit more 'immediate', but I only suggested it as some I have spoken to directly (not all members BTW) have mentioned that they think it will be hard to get any momentum going with a date 18 or months away. Strike whilst the iron's hot an' all that.

I do believe it is do-able in a year. The route will remain open (meaning those places that get snowed on) until well into November so we could look at late September/ early October 2009.

I will sort out a poll soon.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

Late Sept suits me best, I have no aircon and the light evenings would be very welcome as we don't want to be doing this in the dark.

shouldn't all this be in the events section now?

It is tricky reading up on two columns.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

All further posts will be in the Events section. Jon's even given it sticky status :D
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Got sent this.

Amazing really. But arguably unusable in real-world situations.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The end - almost - of another week.

I don't know if anyone here knows what I do, but I design (and write sometimes) books for children to young adults. It's interesting, but fairly solitary work. Hence why I am on here quite often...

David Saville and his wife Zena (who sold their beloved GTi auto to me a few weeks ago) popped by to say hello, drop off a Haynes manual for the BX and generally chat (as well as have another wistful look at their cherished BX). It was a shame we had no electricity in the house at the time (rewiring) so I couldn't even offer them a cup of tea!

What a nice couple. They really miss the car and only the impending arrival of a new C5 takes the edge off it. I can truthfully say, I owe it to them to cherish this car equally and should circumstances dictate one day that it has to move on (but not before the BXagon Challenge!) I will ensure I give them first refusal...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Prepared, and painted the rear bumper on the GTi yesterday. Wasn't 100% happy but a hell of a lot better than it was, so I'm content with that. The spray clear lacquer from Citroen helped, and after today's gentle polish it looks fine. So now that's one less thing. Now, I'd like to concentrate on sorting a couple bits out: the 'ICE' and the rather distracting issue of a 'Parkinsons-like' tremor at tick-over when in 'A' at rest (necessitating moving it into 'N' to preserve my fillings)...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Idle a bit low?
Or does the dreaded kickdown cable require a touch of adjustment???

It's best to leave the lacquer a good couple of weeks to harden, then give it a gentle polish with G3 or the such, if the lacquer is thick enough it should come up like glass!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Idle adjustment: there's a screw isn't there, just before the inlet manifold? Which way to turn it? :D I'll have a fiddle.

Recent new kickdown cable fitted. Would the cable's adjustment affect things at rest? I don't know what adjustment might be needed. Will Hayne's BOL help me?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

There is an idle screw, there's also the idle mixture screw (an air bleed) etc etc etc..

Does it idle smoothly or does it "hunt"??

The kickdown cable controls the line pressure in the box so adjustment is critical, and sooo easy to get wrong!
If the line pressure is high then it can cause drag when at idle in gear, but you'd most likely find that it would change up early and flare between third to fourth.

Dad is a good deal more versed in cable adjustment than I am TBH...
ZF commercial boxes, no problem, I'm the king of them, but the ickle car ZF boxes... strip and rebuild, no problem, basic setting up, no problem, getting them spot on, ring dad!

EDIT: Oh, and no the Haynes BoL wojnt help at all.
I believe there is a section covering kickdown cables, but it's wrong!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi, I had a fiddle with the idle speed and has helped a little bit. It doesn't hunt and when in N or P it idles smoothly.

So attention has to be focussed now on the replaced kick down cable I guess. But I can't say I've noticed any problem when it changes up or down. Kick down's nice - not too sensitive and not too reluctant, so I don't want to meddle too much. But I will need to do something as it's a bit annoying sometimes. But hey. Nice old BX, well looked after etc. it deserves the attention :D
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Hi, I had a fiddle with the idle speed and has helped a little bit. It doesn't hunt and when in N or P it idles smoothly.
What is your rev counter now sitting at in idle (N)? Should be about 900-950 ish. When you engage D without throttle, should drop only marginally. If it 'hunts' at these revs then a servicing of the injectors will provide dramatic benefits of all performance (assuming that kickdown cable is adjusted correctly).
Last edited by Way2go on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

At 'N' it settles at around 950, and when 'A' is engaged it drops to maybe 825-850, but there's more vibration at tick over at this level than I would really want. Dave, the previous owner told me it's always done it. Seeing as he had it 17 years I guess he must have been less bothered by it than I am :D
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I'd plump for an injector service first then as that cured my lumpy tickover and the car was much nippier afterwards. Part of the service is checking that the injectors are balanced for spray pattern and throughput across their duty cycle range.
Find a Lucas or Bosch centre for this job. You can take the injectors off yourself beforehand and just take them in to ensure it is done at the minimum cost or they will do it for you and charge you more.
I would have done mine even earlier had I appreciated the difference it would make!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll give it a go.

Can't do any harm :-) And, as you say, might work wonders!

Thanks.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Time to post another entry in what has become a bit of a 'one record' blog. BX stuff is great, but there is more to life... And today, watching Question Time on BBC1 I was hit by the fact that there's no way I support ID cards for UK citizens. It might make 'sense' to some of those in power but in the end, I don't want to live in a police state.