BXAGON CHALLENGE

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi everyone.

Another Let's Do It update:

PART ONE There has been a lot of input from members - especially regarding the route. So here's a summary of the route (which is unlikely to change now in anything more than a small detail here and there as local conditions might dictate)...

Saturday 17th Oct: crossing and overnight in Calais Ibis Car Ferry Hotel (It's on the edges of Calais and has a big car park. It's close to the A16/E40).

Late-comers can arrive there before 9:30 am on Sunday morning I guess, avoiding the need for an over-night stay there.

Note: every night I have indicated a stay on an Accor Hotel except for the Alaigne stop-over ('cos there ain't one). Each team can make alternative arrangements if they like.

Sunday 18th: CALAIS to METZ via Lille c.300 miles

Stay at: Formule 1 Metz Ennery

Monday 19th: METZ to PONTARLIER via Strasbourg, Mulhouse c.270 miles

Stay at: Formule 1 Pontarlier

Tuesday 20th: PONTARLIER to BRIANÇON via Geneve c.220 miles

Stay at: Hotel Ibis Briançon Serre Chevalier

Wednesday 21st: BRIANÇON to AIX-EN-PROVENCE, via Digne-les-Bains, Cannes c.270 miles

Stay at: Hotel Ibis Aix en Provence

Thursday 22nd: AIX-EN-PROVENCE to PERPIGNAN via Montpellier c.200 miles

Stay at: Hotel Ibis Perpignan Centre

Friday 23rd: PERPIGNAN to ALAIGNE (includes detour to Ax-les-Thermes), c. 165 miles

Stay at: ? http://www.maneque.com (situated 10 mins. walk outside Alaigne) seems a possibility (English owners).

Saturday 24th: Stop-over day.

Stay at: (as above?)

Sunday 25th: ALAIGNE to PAU via Mirepoix, Foix c. 175 miles (I think we can add another detour up into the mountains en route? - I have done one south of Pau which was great - I'll send the route later)...

Stay at: Hotel Ibis Pau Centre

Monday 26th: PAU to ARCACHON via Biarritz c. 200 miles

Stay at: Hotel Ibis Arcachon La Teste

Tuesday 27th: ARCACHON to LA ROCHELLE via Saintes, Rochefort c. 165 miles

Stay at: Etap Hotel La Rochelle centre

Wednesday 28th: LA ROCHELLE to ST. BRIEUC via Vannes c.235 miles

Stay at: Formule 1 Saint Brieuc

Thursday 29th: ST. BRIEUC to HONFLEUR via Bayeux c. 200 miles

Stay at: Hotel Ibis Honfleur

Friday 30th: HONFLEUR to CALAIS via Dieppe c.175 miles

Stay at: Calais Ibis Car Ferry Hotel (optional)

Saturday 31st: Send off....

Total 2,575 miles plus.

PART TWO follows
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Let's Do It

PART TWO: I have not had much luck yet with the 'big' potential sponsors; Citroen UK and Total UK, which highlights the fact they have 'set' charities they work with and so on. However.... My contact at Total has sent all the detail I supplied to Total Paris. Let's see what happens. There are still lots more fish to fry... and it is early days.

Importantly, it highlights the fact that medium-sized local businesses who are less 'corporate' are definitely worth approaching. I made an almost casual remark at a local company and I'm seeing them next week.... if every team can start to get into shape over the coming weeks, I'll make sure there's a Sponsor Pack ready to download to flash around. Watch this space.

Regarding Teams: Can anyone interested please at least register your interest in a PM/e-mail to me so I can start to estimate the number of potential teams: It'd help greatly in my 'negotiations' with Accor and the Ferry companies etc.

The more I think about it the more I believe we should have CB radios where possible. And I have had an idea (some must think I've got too much time on my hands!): I know it's still very early days and Teams only really exist as twinkles in the eyes of prospective participants, but I've been thinking about how to launch the run from Calais. My idea is this: An hour and a half ahead of the bulk of the teams, a 'Pathfinder' team sets off. Kitted out with relevant comms gear they can act as a recce force, identifying any problem areas on the route ahead. Weather conditions will be a factor in some of the more elevated sections and there's always the risk of an accident blocking a road etc. Also they can, as the teams 'bunch up' (inevitable really) check out Gendarme activity, so to speak! Pathfinder teams can change with each stage as decided en route.

Discuss. :)

Then, after everyone else has gone we could have a designated 'Tailend Charlie' support Team. (Necessarily an estate?) with a towbar, ramps/axle stands, spares, some fuel, first aid extras etc, I'd suggest, and carrying a technically versed member or two would follow on after about an hour.... We could have a few of said support BXs that could alternate 'duty'. swapping payload over as appropriate before the next stage.

Discuss... again :D

Bear in mind it isn't likely or indeed practical that everyone stops at the same place for lunch and that we can arrive in quite a generous 'window' for the overnight stops.
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Let's Do It!

PART THREE: Thoughts on generic spares. Our erstwhile Technical Advisors will no doubt have their ideas, but there's no harm in gathering BXperts' thoughts on the matter. I'm thinking hoses, pipes, brake pads etc. So let's make a list. (someone start a thread maybe with some suggestions?).

That's it for now. Work beckons.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Gallon tank of LHM, cambelt and tensioner, HG set...... octopus, RAC card?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Roverman wrote:Gallon tank of LHM, cambelt and tensioner, HG set...... octopus, RAC card?
The thought of changing a octopus on the side of the road :lol: Yikes!

For the diesels, fuel filters, throttle cables.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
M

Post by M »

I have a CEPT euro rig and a pair of PMR 446 2 way 8ch radios with charger base (pictures later) if anyone is interested.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Would these be the sort of things referred to in earlier posts - re: CB gear? OK for Europe? Easy for others to get kit to match up?

May I get the event's Comms advisors (Mike E and Citrojim) to chip in here?

Potentially interested (after all if I don't put my money where my mouth is, who will start the ball rolling?)...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Roverman wrote:cambelt and tensioner
If necessary that should have been done prior to journey! If those fail on the road, your engine will already be toast and require more than that to get it on the move again! :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Roverman wrote:HG set......
I don't know about you but I don't really fancy changing the HG in a layby by the side of the road. Or in a hotel car park when I could be in the bar!
Mind you, I had just rebuilt the engine on my bike (2 days before a holiday), and was playing around with different carb jets; and it took a lot of persuasion from my mate for me not to have a go at re-jetting the carbs at 3 in the morning when we were due to catch a ferry at 6. Ended up doing it on the campsite the following morning.

Maybe a complete set of front to rear HP pipes might be an idea though... :wink:

I would restrict the list to items that are liable to fail suddenly without warning, and that would mean the car can't continue. Anything that shows signs of significant deterioration should have been checked and sorted before the trip IMO. Zip ties, gaffa tape, electrical wire and temporary crimp connectors might be useful. As would a collection of all the fluids, although I would personally leave buying LHM till we are over there as it is cheaper and more widely available (same with the wine!)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
M

Post by M »

Radweld :twisted:

VBH

Sikoflex.

Zipties

Gaffatape

Scotchlocks

Wire
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

As all cars will presumably be checked over before the trip starts, I would not expect things like brake pads to be a problem. Ignition and coolent faults are perhaps potential trouble areas.

Personally I would run the car for my daily commute for a few months previously, as an ex-garaged car is more likely to fail that one driven and checked daily.

IMO every BX should be Euro CEPT CB equipped, those without will probably feel somewhat 'left out' of the team.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So, would ebay item no. 230294713040 fit the bill, and is it a fair price? I would prefer not to pay quite so much for something I'll probably only use once, but if I can get something with the same specs 2nd hand that should be a bit cheaper.

I tried to link it but for some reason could not get the tags to work...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Unless I'm much mistaken you'd still need an aerial, power lead... What we need is someone, like Mike E or Citrojim to give us a dummy's guide to CB! :D
M

Post by M »

Dumys guide to CB:

Buying your rig:

The only CB's legal for use on the continent are older CEPT 27 marked rigs or the newer Euro PR27 CEPT (such as the very good Alan 78 or Midland 38 rigs.)

CB 27/81

marked rigs (muppets) are very much not legal for use anywhere other than the UK - in fact from about 2012 they wont be legal in the UK either - whereas CEPT will be. Neither (in theory) are old 27/81 rigs which have had mid's (or CEPT) frequencies added - but those are plentiful and cheap - the Amstrad 901 is a choice cheapy rig in this case. I hve been trying to find a picure of the marking on older rigs to avoid, but cant - basically its a circle that has 27 at the top and 81 at the bottom (thanks Mrs Thatcher for giving the UK its own unique frequencies no one else uses ever)

PR27/97, PR27GB or CEPT is what you want - unless you drive a LandRover - in which case you want an older rig on UK frequencies!

You did used to need a CB radio licence, however the DTI do seem to have relaxed that now and AFAIK you now no longer need one *** EDIT**** From December 2006 27MHz CB and PMR446 are both licence free personal communications - so no licence required! - TBH in this country it was rarely an issue, but the French police were keen on seeing them if you got pulled over on the continent.

CB is simplicity - all you need is a rig, a power source (12v fag lighter) and a twig (aerial) - Obvioulsy it has to be a 27MHz tuned aerial - or CB aerial not run through your old car aerial ( though back in the 70's you could buy half wave aerials designed to look like a car aerial - back when everyone was running imported american AM sets! - but enough of history 101).

Personally I would go for a mag mount base (pre wired with 50 ohm cable an PL259 plug for the rig) and something flexible which will stand some knocks - something like a tornado style aerial:

You will also need a SWR meter to tune the aerial - though most do come pre tuned and so long as you are not running a burner (amplifier) you should have no problems with the majority just plugging in and going.

Cars (estates) with GRP roof sections may find that they do need to tune the aerial slightly, though really there should be sufficient metal to provide a god ground plane.

Ebay is probably your best bet to get stuff off, though if any of you live near Truck King or Knights (they do mail order too) then these are great places to go. BJ's does still have a mobile shop on the M6 Northbound at Forton Services, but he is only there a couple of days a week. Sadly CB shops of the 80's like Tigers Cage have all but closed down. Maplin and CPC sell CB rigs, bt have bugger all knowledge on how to install / set up whereas the older shops used to SWR your rig in without any charge if you bought the set from them.
Last edited by M on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Excellent work Marty!

Time for us all to start scouring the bay of fleas for these items in readiness.

Agreed on the magmounts. Dead easy but you need to stash 'em away when not in use. Light-fingered individuals seem to love 'em.

Hands-free kits for these rigs. Are they available? and if so, I'd say absolutely essential.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...