205 Gti 1.6 into BX?

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

205 Gti 1.6 into BX?

Post by cavmad »

Can a Peugot 205 Gti 1.6 engine be fitted into a carb`d 1.6 BX? Thinking of swapping inlet manifolds so I can run the carb but is it as easy as that?
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Well, yes, but there will be bracketry issues for hanging theHP pump and various aspects of plumbing. It won't work well on a carb, though and MOT time will be a gamble that I wouldn't bet on...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks chaps, the idea was that I may be able to source a cheap GTi engine for my poorly petrol BX. However, for the sake of easiness and a saving of money, I would rather find an engine that will drop straight in.
The £30 BX in Bournemouth would be ideal bar the distance, though at a push a cunning plan may see that back here for a cost of zilch. Only problem is I`d probably need to go all the way down there to get it transported back which is a very long way :cry:
I`ll hold on for a bit and see if something nearer turns up.
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So you're not going to have my engine then? :shock:

Best of luck with the search anyway :)

If only I had got myself organised a few months ago; I saw a H plate 19TRS in the local scappy, a believeable 38k on the clock and they wanted £70 for the engine. I got as far as putting a battery in and starting it (oh so smooth) but I didn't get round to taking the engine out at the weekend and by the next the car was gone :cry: I just hope another enthusiast got it before it was crushed.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers Mat, not a definate no just yet but I`m sort of at the mercy of a mate who would be fitting it for me. If he decides it`s too complicated then he won`t do it unfortunately but I`ll certainly ask him. I`d actually prefer to keep it injection but things like wiring really worry me :(
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

You might be better off fitting a TD lump, they only need about two wires to run, far less hassle, a Xantia lump complete with gearbox, fit an ordinary BX diesel cam (which apparently has VERY similar profile to piper tuning cam for the TD) then your standard BX hyd pump will fit straight on, a little tweak here and there and Vanny and I might have some competition :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

GTI engine

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I expect it will be easier to find a good engine in a BX than a 205, and it is only making work for someone to transfer it from a different car.

Surely the injected BXs or TurboD are the best way to power a BX, so why not buy a complete GTI?

No messing about getting motors fitted, and you can transfer any bits you want to keep at your leisure. And they cost peanuts now.

I know of one for sale local to me. Hurricane one too IIRC.

Mike