Matt H's BX 14TGE

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
M

Post by M »

Gentlemen - may I please direct you to THIS thread for all your pedantic needs. :wink:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Matt H wrote:People seem to be making a lot of assumptions here.

I guess this is aimed at me, seeing as this is the thread named Matt H's BX 14.
No... Not at all. Really.

It's more a case of information, in the most relevant place. I appreciate that it might look like it's become a bit of a witch-hunt for anyone with unlawful number-plates, but I genuinely only intended this to be a bit of useful information, hence not going overboard with "OMG THOSE PLATES ARE ILLEGAL! YOU ARE BREAKING TEH LAW!!!11!!!!eleventy!" rather enquiring and making sure that you were aware that that "french" plates aren't actually road legal.

Far better to be informed of the law and know where you stand than be pulled over for something you weren't aware was unlawful. After all, ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law.
Matt H wrote:I know they are illegal... But thank you for pointing that out, because If I didn't know, I would most definitely want to.
.. and that's all I was trying to achieve. Honest!
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'd just like to add that the number plate thing is NOT for 'our' protection imho, it's so the police can make sure they nail you when you go past ANPR equipped police vehicles or speed cameras. That would explain why they had a huge clampdown on any illegal looking number plates when all these speed cameras (especially the digital ones) started cropping up.

As regards the French symbol on number plates if it's illegal, it's illegal and personally speaking I'd sooner spend two weeks locked in a lift with Carol Thatcher and listening to Cilla Black records than display the flag of any other country but my own.
Vauxhall apologist.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Okay then, I think that is all sorted now...

Back on topic, there should be some news regarding my car within the next week or so, so stay tuned.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Hi Matt,

look forward to hearing further news on your car.

I think the reason why this was such a hot topic was that there was more than one thread about this, so myself included decided to post in yours, so apologies, certainly wasnt having a personal dig at you, just providing info & asking some questions for personal clarification.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Forget the bloody number plates, I want some green brake lights! :)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Whoops...

I've actually taken them off now. I originally fitting them in a sort of opposing way to the thousands of Dubs and Audi's which wear fake german plates. Seeing as French cars, particularly BX's aren't viewed in the kindest way in the UK (even though so many French cars are sold each year!) I thought it would nearly qualify as a piss take!

I did actually get pulled over while it was wearing them once, but it was for rinsing it away from some lights late at night! After I'd been breathylised etc etc they went round the car trying to pin something on me, but found nothing. Then he saw the plates....

Copper: I notice your number plate there.

Me: Oh yeah.

Copper (in a cockey voice): French car is it then sir?

Me: Yeah, it's a Citroen.

Copper called me a twat or something, they both got back in their traffic car and drove off! Didn't even get a producer!

On a better note....hows the car going away? You built than power house TU yet? I just sold my 106 XSi (to a guy in blackburn....he DROVE it back....been off the road for two years, covered in moss, dodgey tyres and wheel bearings....nutcase!) and he rang me back to say how insanely quick it was! And that was just from bolting a 1600 block to a 1400 high comp head....the possibilities are endless :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
M

Post by M »

Kitch wrote: I just sold my 106 XSi (to a guy in blackburn....he DROVE it back....been off the road for two years, covered in moss, dodgey tyres and wheel bearings....nutcase!) :lol:
Unsurprising there then. Blackburn, Blackpool and Liverpool have the highest numbe of unisured drivers in the North West.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Ah no he was covered I think....he had trade plates. But the legalities were the least of his worries I reckon. It was a mess!

Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Errr, well the car hasn't moved an inch since the HG went. I've been tooling around in that AX... But now it's been sold, so will have to get a move on with the BX...

I was thinking big valve head and AX GT Carb... maybe a new cam. Another possible strategy is to leave it as standard... for now. and pile the rest of the money into a brand new set of tyres. 195/60/14s are seriously hard to find Good tyres for. It's got Arrowspeeds on the front at the minute... Made in Poland. Actually not bad in the dry but appaling in the wet.

I was wondering actually, will my BX sound as good as the AX GT if I stick the twin choke carb on it?

But... and this is the sticking point, I still haven't been paid, and after some enquiries, it may take up to another 2 weeks for any money to come through. I started at the start of September by the way... Oh well. What can you do eh?
M wrote:
Kitch wrote: I just sold my 106 XSi (to a guy in blackburn....he DROVE it back....been off the road for two years, covered in moss, dodgey tyres and wheel bearings....nutcase!) :lol:
Unsurprising there then. Blackburn, Blackpool and Liverpool have the highest numbe of unisured drivers in the North West.
Blood Northerners :lol:

It's okay, I can say that... I'm from Blackpool!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Save a few quid & get 185/60's instead, they wont make any difference on a 14tge but will certainly be a lot better than the standard sized tyres that were originally fitted.

Mine's fitted with vredesteins, which came in handy the other day if you've read my thread?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just my two penn'orth: I've always found BXs a bit under-tyred on the standard fit 165s, but 185s do the job nicely (I'm running Uniroyal Rain Tyres on the advice of several from this forum and am really impressed with them). I've never driven a BX on 195s but I honestly can't see that there would be a massive improvement under normal road conditions... in other words, Mulley's right: you can save a few quid by buying decent 185s without losing much in the way of roadholding.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Easier to get the rear wheels in too with 185s...what difference is 10mm going to make? (Said the bishop to the actress)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

The only BX I ever drove with 185's on was my 14 wearing 205 GTi 1.6 pepperpots, with IIRC are only 5.5 across anyway. It didn't grip or handle as well as the 195/6J speedline combo, the valver obviously having the advantage of bigger ARB's etc, but with them fitted the the estate it still hung on like it was hanging off a cliff! I think it actually lifted a rear wheel at one point!

As far as the head etc goes....you know the score with the bigger valves mate. The only mod needed will be to adapt the inlet manifold to fit nicely...not a major job. Your BX will sound exactly the same as an AX GT with the twin choke carb and inlet fitted, provided you use the same ducting the AX uses. If you want noise fit a pancake filter, but they do suck in some hot air, so without something hidieous visually like a bonnet vent they don't do much good!

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

If the engine is the same as the 205XS 1.4 lump, a K&N filter that replaces all the ducting does work surprisingly well.

I had one of these on a 205, and it made it fly.
With the 1st carb butterfly only, it made little difference in sound,
but it roared when the 2nd opened.

I still have the air filter, but a replacement carb jet is also needed before it can be fitted on another car. The jet comes with the kit normally.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!