My new RD

Anything about BXs
scagnetti

My new RD

Post by scagnetti »

Hello, fellow BX'ers. I'm pleased to have found this forum and all the handy tips and info posted, having just acquired my third Magnetic Blue estate.
During the mid '90s I clocked up almost 100,000 miles in a '86 19RD, and eventually replaced it with a 16TRS auto. The latter was a short-lived affair since, being a bit of a skin-flint, it drank way too much for my liking.
Almost ten years later I've got another one - diesel, that is. It's a genuine one-owner, full dealer-stamped service history with 107k on the clock, and I found it on ebay. First registered on 31/3/88 the car has spent its life in Horsham, Sussex, and is in pretty good shape for its age.
The original owner, a lady with a very French surname, appears to have been one of those people who get their car serviced regularly even if they've done virtually no miles since the last one (eg, full service @ 105,382 miles Sep '06 followed by half service at 105,903 miles in April '07). Consequently just about everything works on the car and it drives really well, though there are a few niggles...
As you can see in the pic, the rear end drops right down within about an hour of parking, though the front remains high for a good long time (front spheres replaced two years ago). It 'clicks' about every 7-8 seconds too.
Also, the clutch feels stiffer than I remember, and there's a slight 'stutter' in 1st and 2nd gears when pulling at low revs (a drop of Redex and 300 miles seems to have semi-cured it). The clock mechanism is knackered, there's a ding in the front nearside wing, and a few scratches along the same side. The mouldings that hold the rear shelf in place have broken off too.
But it's great to be driving a BX once again.
:D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome aboard mate, was that car on ebay not long ago? Get the accumulator sphere changed and some fresh LHM and it will stay up for hours :wink:

The first car I ever drove was a 87 19RD which did 150k in 3 years and was what helped me get started ith my BX obsession!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scagnetti

Post by scagnetti »

Thanks, Roverman. Yes, it was on ebay a few weeks ago - I managed to get it with a last-second bid. Can you recommend best place(s) for BX parts?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I personally use www.gsfcarparts.com or the local motofactors for filters etc. Theres lots of far more mechanically minded members that may recommend others and offer any mechanical assistance.

You normally find most BX clutches (from my experience) get heavy but if it doesnt slip and its managable I would make do for now, thankfully being a non turbo diesel its fairly straightforward.

Anymore pics of your blue beauty?
scagnetti

Post by scagnetti »

Here's a couple more pix at nearby Wembley Stadium, taken on the school run this afternoon. Interestingly (or not), the X-Factor is broadcast just yards from here, and my teenage daughter spotted contenders 'JLS' signing autographs as we drove by today - she was almost as thrilled as I was when I picked-up the BX! :arrow:

rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

I was going to buy that one but chickened out! It looks good - any rust?

I wish I had got an estate.....
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Lovely looking motor, exactly the same inside as dads 2nd bx. Ahh fond memories.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Dont forget to print off your membership card & you'll get a 10% discount off GSF parts :D & welcome to the club, nice colour your estate....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

That is proper tidy! Always nice to see an estate that's been loved rather than being used as a builder's van.