BXAGON CHALLENGE

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Although not completely there (we need to add some elements and get the page to centre on the browser), it's looking OK for the time being.

And I have my brother, Mark to thank. Well done!

www.bxagon.com
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Phil

Just checked out the web site and it's great
Another masterpiece.

LET'S DO IT!

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fellow BXers...

As well as having been promised a plug for the BXagon in next weeks Classic Car Weekly, we might be getting one in a couple of other publications...:D 8)

watch this thread...
kermit the frog
BXpert

Excellent bring it on!

Any publicity is very welcome and it will help in getting sponsors on board.
if they see it promoted in a national or even an international publication.

Regards Kermit :) :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We've just had our first (anonymous) donation via the justgiving.com page. £10 from 'Q' with the message: Your starter for 10...

Broken the duck. Now, please donate whatever you can to start the climb to £10k... PLEASE!

Also TEAMS - Please (again) let me know if you have any inclination to participate. I must get some idea of Team numbers soon for publicity.

Also, watch out for Classic Car Weekly tomorrow - apparently (I know how things go sometimes, so don't hold your breath), but hopefully - there's something about us in there 8)

A BXagon update will follow soon. Watch this space.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In today's Classic Car Weekly:

That's not my bxagon preferred e-mail address, but hey, if anyone contacts me I won't complain

I've asked them to plug the bxagon.com site next...

Oh, and if you want some persuasion to take part:

kermit the frog
BXpert

Hi Phil
I like the article very short but gets the message accross.
I also like the terrain in the picture that looks like a bit of fun. 8)
only one year and a day to go.
Bring it on. 8)

Regards Kermit / Phil (other half of the philibusters team) :) :)
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Brilliant work all along Phil. Has anyone contacted Practical Classics? I'm pretty sure a couple of the staff writers have BXs. If not, I'll do it - let me know.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have actually, but not had any feedback yet. Maybe if you know anyone there, or fancy just asking them if they want to report, cover, participate etc. then be my guest!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks Jon. This 'mission' is gathering momentum, slowly but surely. I want to ask, once again, that anyone interested contacts me an 'pencils' their name in against the event. I need to know roughly how many are 'possibles'.

So, a show of hands, please!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'm a hopeful! All depends on finances, but I'd like to do this.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Excellent.

This might prove interesting reading even for those unable to take part in the driving part itself: After all who is to say you can't collect for the event?

I thought I'd post a few thoughts re: Sponsorship/fund-raising

Definitions: A 'sponsor':
A company, organisation, individual, anonymous etc.,

Basics: The Event will aim to get a sum collected dependent upon nothing more than endeavouring to get a bunch of BXs around France, (probably, in the case of companies, whilst carrying a suitable sticker or two on the cars, and having reference to the sponsor included in the publicity, promotional material and website etc). So we don't need to worry about that bit. They either support the event or they don't.

As far as the Event as a whole goes, I will make a note of who supplied what with regard to non-monetary donation/support, such as discounts and freebies and they will be acknowledged accordingly.

Each team will be looking for sponsorship.
How they do this is up to them. I suggest a good way of starting is asking for lump sums, of whatever size, from companies in exchange for recognition/publicity. As for individuals, single donations or pledges.

Pledges. In my opinion, pledges will best work on a donation per mile basis:
For example, 2p a mile translates to £52 over the course.
But pledges are only any good if they are collected. So this means we are potentially on a sticky wicket.

So I want to introduce a 'clause' that says only 50% of uncollected pledges count towards the entry criteria. Post-event, we will see if this is optimistic or pessimistic! So, for example Team X gets £100 in direct donations and a total of £250 in as-yet-uncollected pledged support. That would only equate, for the purposes of qualifying for the event, as a total of £225 so another £75+ of direct donations or £150's worth of pledges would see Team X gain the £300 necessary.

Note: In the case of pledged support each team could end up with lots of these and it's not practical to keep a record on our database of each individual who has pledged x p/mile... I suggest we need to create a pledge sheet with, say, 20 lines. Each sheet is individually numbered and signed by Jack, our sponsorship co-ordinator, or me. So Team X could have 'List 01/01' , 'List 01/02' and so on... Rather than have every Tom, Dick and Harry printing off these sheets, to avoid fraudulent collections, (others not us!) we would be prepared to send by post, original signed sheets for each of the Teams.

So it is the TEAM that gets sponsorship, not the individuals as far as this event is concerned. If a team member drops out, the sponsorship raised on behalf of the team STAYS with the team. If a team member drops out before raising anything, leaving the remaining team member to raise the whole lot, then, depending on how far down the line we are, I suggest we deal with this (as organisers) on an individual basis. I'm sure we can work something out.

We will not keep a record of assistance financial or otherwise, lent to Teams. However, should it come to light that a Team has collected ostensibly for the charity and has diverted funds for the funding of the team they will be disqualified. If a Team seeks help in covering costs from, say a family friend, it must be made absolutely clear to the supporter that the money given is not going straight to the charity - instead it is helping indirectly by 'enabling' the fund-raising to be done. And I don't have a problem with this if it means more BXs on the Challenge.

I hope this answers a few questions (but will raise more, I'm sure). Just e-mail me with comments and I'll try to give them appropriate consideration.

Cheers

Phil
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, (seeing as I've only received a couple of comments about the sponsorship notes) the following is now 'law' as far as the event goes:

Sponsorship pledges (pence per mile): only 50% of pledges count towards the entry criteria (a minimum of £300 raised per team). This is to take into account the fact that there will probably be a shortfall on pledges vs. collection.

And,

Pledges: The estimated run is 2,600 miles. As it is impossible for the Event to verify mileage before everyone arrives at the start point so obviously journeys to (and from) the event cannot be included. Each BX will have it's mileage recorded at the start, and at the finish. This will be published on the website.

In the event of a team pulling out before the end, a calculation will be provided, by Mr. Mat Fenwick, (our route co-ordinator) of the distance travelled on the route up to to the point of retirement. Then, If the team is present at the finish on the 30th October, with their car, a bonus equal to 25% of the mileage they failed to complete will be awarded. As always in the event of any dispute, the final decision lies with the core organisers.

Cheers chaps

Phil
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

To paraphrase an e-mail I sent out to some recently:

I need to see how we might reach our target of £10,000.

Assume 12 teams take part.

In order to raise donations as part of their entry criteria, each team will, along with direct donations, seek pledges.
(I conducted a small straw poll to help work the following out):

Of the 15 'spaces' on the sponsorship sheet one might expect the following:
10 x sponsors pledging 0.5p per mile, 4 x 1p per mile and 1 x 1.5p per mile, meaning each sheet could be worth about £270. If each team got two sheets filled up and there were 12 teams that's £6,480. Say only 80% of sponsors actually end up dipping their hands into their pockets and a few of the teams fall short etc... if, if, if, (I know :roll:) we could be talking £4,200 pledged and subsequently collected towards the total.

Each team will also need to pester local organisations/companies for donations. That could raise I'd say, about £175 per team. (NB revised down on my original estimate).

Add to this a fund-raising 'mini-event' or two per team - e.g. BBQ, pub quiz, junk sale etc. which could raise another £100, say.

And straight away we could be looking at £7,500 raised towards our target.

Now I won't be idle on the part of the Event as a whole and hope to raise at least £2,500* in addition to the team fund-raising.
* some of this will come from BXers and friends who aren't actually driving the Challenge, getting people to pledge money for the Event anyway...

Assume 75% of all the above goes through the GiftAid scheme and we are looking at a total of over £12,000.

So it goes back to what I said a while ago: we can expect to raise at least £1,000 per team participating. So again, the more the merrier!!!

Of course if we end up with more than 10 teams I think we can count it as a very worthwhile undertaking indeed.

Oh and, as a footnote: if we only manage eight teams, what's it looking like? Not brilliant, obviously. We could expect to just about reach our target (assuming most donations benefited from the GiftAid), and even if we were a bit short, sales of the Calendar etc. might help boost it over target. Fewer than eight teams and we are, it has to be said, borderline.

So c'mon. Help me out here anyone who's lurking in the wings. Make your voice heard!

Phil

Let's Do It!