BX windscreen swap

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

BX windscreen swap

Post by DLM »

I've checked my poverty insurance (3rd party fire and theft) and realised that it won't cover my cracked windscreen (damn!). Fortunately I have a donor to swap from.

Can anyone with experience run through the replacement procedure, please?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

1) Purchase a ring (at least 5m) of the special cutting wire. Nothing else will get you through the job in a sensible way.

2) remove the dashboard as you need the access behind and cant really protect the dash anyway.

3) remove the rubber list round the windscreen frame.

4) Place a piece of carpeting covering & protecting the hood and grille near the windscreen.

5) carefully drill a hole (3-5mm) in the sealing. Then thread the cutting wire and start cutting. Must be 2 persons - one working from inside the other from outside.

If you are removing a good windscreen - be very carefull that entire seal round the frame is cut - bar a last lower dot of approx 5mm. If you try pull up the free windscreen with just a couple of cm's sealing still left binding there - you will crack the "new" screen :evil:
The last dot of sealing is cut by one person - while second person supports the windscreen.
Before removing prepare a padded area for storage and cleaning work of the edge.

When cleaning the edge limit the work to cut down thickness of old sealing. Dont try remove it all as the glass will be scratched. Same goes on the frame. You will quickly get exhausted by this job as the old sealing is almost stonehard.

Take a couple of photos on how the glass fits round the edge before removing. Its very nice to have a reference when judging the correct fixing of the new screen.
If you can lend a pair of vacuum handles to carry the screen - the job will much easier and stressless. You can also then try a dry fit of the screen to judge the amount of sealing needed round the frame. Remember the 1" blackened screen edge is there to hide excess sealant when screen is fitted.

Once the screen is placed on the wet sealant its fixed - not much of a chance to move it around :?
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I agree with Anders, but recommend this procedure for removing the screen from your donor car only.

To remove cracked screen from your own vehicle, I strongly recommend the purchase or loan of the "right-angled screen cutting tool"

If you try cutting it out with the wire, chances are you will damage the plastic trim along the front of the dashboard, also using this tool, there will be no need to remove the instrument panel.

Haven't seen the tool for ages, if I can find it you're welcome to borrow it or I could post pictures so at least you'll know what your looking for.

The 5m coils of special wire are really cheap, only about £4 but the handles are about £30 :o I made my own out of two pieces of broom handle with a hole drilled through, so the wire can be passed through and then bound to hold tight.
They think it's all over, it is now!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

If somebody could tell me exactly what type of wire it is,I could probably get some from work FOC(I Work at Betafence AKA Tinsley Wire)
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I have some here, will add picture later.
They think it's all over, it is now!