Oh dear, a fuel leak.

BX Tech talk
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Oh dear, a fuel leak.

Post by Mr B »

The sight that greeted me on Saturday morning......

The main fuel line is as rotten as a carrot! I pulled the pipe out to cut the bad bit out and it split, nice. I repaired it with a piece of rubber hose but new pipes are needed. I rang my local dealer, surprise number 1; they are less that £15 for the pair. Surprise number 2; they have them in stock :shock: Looks like I'm going to be busy on Friday #-o
Last edited by Mr B on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've got one just like that, well not quite that bad, it's just started leaking on my mums auto, luckily I have a pair of pipes in the garage once removed from a donor car.

I wouldn't normally have bothered but these two were made from copper. :D
They think it's all over, it is now!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I did think of making them from copper but the Cit ones come pre-formed and the old ones lasted 13 years so I figured less aggro fitting O/E, that will out live the car :wink:
M

Post by M »

what about pulling ones off Vera?? :twisted:
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Did mine earlier this year for the same problem they are really easy to do and only take 30 minutes. :lol:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I tried to do this.

ONe had been replaced with a copper one - great.

The other one is not too wholesome, so I paid £15 for ONE pipe at my main stealer.

Got it back, got under the car, got covered in diesel, long story short - the preformed pipe from the dealer is too long at the tank end and too short and the pump end.

In case that sounds a bit Irish, let me explain - the dogleg that leads into the tank is longer than the original, whereas the end that joins the return pipe from the pump comes up too short by several inches.

I refitted the original and the new one is sitting at home, one of a long list, when I get around to buying a bit of rubber pipe that will accommodate the new return.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Usual case Oscar, you always have to cut a bit off at the tank end which leaves a bit of a stretch at the other, jubilee clip at the ready.

I think Cavmads car has got Orange plastic ones on.
They think it's all over, it is now!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Never had that problem i would have a word with the dealer it could be a duff batch and they might exchange it for you. :?
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote:what about pulling ones off Vera?? :twisted:
If you remember a fuel leak on Vera was the last straw :roll: and you "fixed" the leak with Plumbers Mate [-(
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote:If you remember a fuel leak on Vera was the last straw :roll: and you "fixed" the leak with Plumbers Mate [-(
Good as new then - and all that bitumin too!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Plumbers mate!!! Bitumen!! Flashing!! I was floating a new concrete boot floor into the hooligan when the thought struck me :idea: Marty is a bit of a bodger :) :)
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Plumbers mate!!! Bitumen!! Flashing!! I was floating a new concrete boot floor into the hooligan when the thought struck me :idea: Marty is a bit of a bodger :) :)
A BIT, you have no idea, I seen his efforts laying bricks [-( #-o :shock: :lol:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Oscar wrote:the preformed pipe from the dealer is too long at the tank end and too short and the pump end.

Oscar, thankyou for restoring my sanity!

I found exactly the same but didnt shorten the pipes at the tank end, figured 'it must be like that', every MOT the tester has a moan but never seem to bothered! Now i KNOW the solution is to trim them back down!!

Pretty easy job to do really, only troublesome bit is connecting the ruber pipe at the tank end, any sugestions for making it easier?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I didnt have a problem i tied string round the pipes under the back seat then disconnected them and pulled the rubber pipes down enough so i could connect them easily to the new pipes then pulled them back up with the string and reconnected them, obviously put a bolt in the end of each pipe so they dont get full of crap job done. :)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

thats kind of what i did in the end, but still didnt find it at all easy. In my case if i pulled the rubber pipes down too far then regardless of how much i tried the damn things wouldn't find there way back up! Ended up pulling them just a little way down and getting the metal in and sticking a Jubliee clip on