Workhorse

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Workhorse

Post by toddao »

I'm always amazed with how much one can carry in the back of a BX Break. Though technically this isn't 'in' - being a few centimetres hanging out the back, preventing the door from closing but passenger seat was still usable.
I bought this 3 piece suite this morning from a charity shop in the next town and the staff helped me load it and said it was easily two trips. I took the metal feet off and with some persistance got the whole lot in. Pretty good going I thought! Modern cars just have too much padding limiting the load space

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That suite is COOL. 8)
Does it need any refurbishment?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Phil! It needs one or two of the webbing strips replacing on the main sofa - the previous owners had used a piece of ply to get around this, which I've just removed. Could perhaps do with a slight clean here and there but it's going straight into service and for €50 was quite a bit of a saving on a new one as well as having some unique 70s style!
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

My 'record' is (when we were moving house) a sofa, fridge freezer, microwave, computer plus monitor, coffee table and bedside table, air bed, pillows, duvet, 2 bags of clothes and two people. Who needs a van?

The most amusing load I've transported was a double bed - the two divan sections fitted in the back and I strapped the mattress to the roof. At anything over 50mph the wind would get underneath and it would start to noisily hump the car...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mat_fenwick wrote:Who needs a van?
Me.

And you for that matter.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

OK, OK, you're right...wouldn't be without the van now! (8'x4' sheets of plasterboard don't fit quite so well into the back of a BX). Plus the usable payload is about 4 times greater, but at the time the BX did the job quite nicely. Considerably quicker too, as I'm sure you'll agree...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Mat wrote
My 'record' is (when we were moving house) a sofa, fridge freezer, microwave, computer plus monitor, coffee table and bedside table, air bed, pillows, duvet, 2 bags of clothes and two people. Who needs a van?
That's practically a mobile home with all those mod-cons. though it might be difficult getting to them to use them

I've got a tow-bar and trailer so that's where the plasterboard goes. And - in response to David I say : Call that a van?! :D Anything under 3 1/2 tonnes is for laydeez.. ( distribution of hairdressing supplies etc.) Image
Todd

rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

In the early ninties, my dad used to sell full sized snooker tables in SW france. He'd buy them in norfolk, load the slate beds in the back of his 19RD Break and the rest in a trailer. Thinking back, I'd imagine the car was slightly overloaded!
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Re: Workhorse

Post by cavmad »

toddao wrote:I'm always amazed with how much one can carry in the back of a BX Break. Though technically this isn't 'in' - being a few centimetres hanging out the back, preventing the door from closing but passenger seat was still usable.
I bought this 3 piece suite this morning from a charity shop in the next town and the staff helped me load it and said it was easily two trips. I took the metal feet off and with some persistance got the whole lot in. Pretty good going I thought! Modern cars just have too much padding limiting the load space

Is it just me or does that 3 piece suite look like it's made from BX TGD seats? Either way it's very cool!
Vauxhall apologist.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Glad you like it Billy! The photo doesn't show it that well, but the seats do have those moulded recesses in the back like the earlier BX seats. It just seems to have worn a bit better.

The yellow BX could almost drive itself to that charity shop and back, so often have we visited for furniture items - most of our furniture comes from the place and our clothes too ( priced from 50c to €3)

I've heard that shop referred to here as for 'socially weak' people! :D That's fine with me, I'm happy to be socially weak if it means we can furnish our house with mostly 60s/70s pieces that no-one else seems to want as well as 'reducing, reusing and recycling.' We got our complete 1960s kitchen there for €65 ( in excellent state) but that didn't fit in the BX - that required my friends H-van!
Todd

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Nowt wrong with recyling and you're also doing your bit for charity at the same time.
I wonder which snob decided to suggest that 'socially weak' expression? Silly fool whoever it was.
Vauxhall apologist.