BXAGON CHALLENGE

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Here's a little taster of stuff on the way...

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What is of some concern is the weakness of the pound against the Euro. Hopefully things will improve because as it stands it'll cost you over 88p to buy a Euro. Last year it was 78p.

That means a Hotel room @ €35 per night that would have equated to £27.50 will now cost £30.90.

Be realistic, if you are planning to participate in the BXagon (and you really should :) ) expect the cost to each team be £122 higher than it was when I started to plan this event. Bugga.

BUT hopefully as the Eurozone is also slipping into recession this 'imbalance' may be restored as some commentators predict we will recover quicker than the rest of Europe (with the exception of France).
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

At least petrol is down in price, hopefully it will stay down for a while.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

At least petrol is down in price, hopefully it will stay down for a while.

TBH petrol in France is more expensive than here....
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

mike st gilles wrote:At least petrol is down in price, hopefully it will stay down for a while.

TBH petrol in France is more expensive than here....
But diesel OTOH...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

yes, petrol is dearer there than here.

and as Phil says, the poor exchange rate makes everything in France more expensive to us.

but my point was that petrol (and diesel) is cheaper everywhere than it was a few months ago.

Trying to look on the bright side here.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As of yesterday you could expect to pay around €1,21 (nearly £1.07) per litre for SP95 and €1,12 (£0.99) per litre.

But the Challenge is a fair way off so I wouldn't get too concerned. It's not too bad :shock: :wink:
M

Post by M »

A further thought Philip following yesterdays trip to the car show.
Commemorative plaques - small metal ones can be made for about £6 each - sell them for £20 and you have the P&P plus a £10 charity donation, or larger rally style ones are about £6 each - again flog them for entrants and fund raising alike - the one thing is dont order too many, the original BXC window stickers worked out at 70p each and the run was for 100 - took me and Jon forever to offload them.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Good thought. Re: manufacturers - do you mind doing a bit of research and getting back to me? I can happily supply artwork. I would have thought a limited edition of 25 would guarantee exclusivity as well as earning £250 for the Charity. And a cost price total of about £150 isn't too bad so long as we sell them all.
M

Post by M »

www.dragonflyhouse.co.uk

Got a catalogue yesterday with their prices and some examples, looks good, cheaper if you can do single colour or two colour as opposed to the existing 4 colour plaque.

As well as metal ones (small) they do magnetic or standard Pollyputthekettleonelene type signs.

Website does not do them juctice - I will scan & post some items later as I get chance.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks. I'll draw up a list of what I think we may need and get in touch with them.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I went to a Cancer Research UK regional conference at a hospice for children yesterday. Certainly not a place you'd visit for fun. Does tend to put things into perspective and make me even more determined to make the BXagon a success. It received very positive responses from the attendees and I have been asked to forward details for distribution to local committees.

I have been looking at the issue if vinyl stickers and they aren't cheap. However, I have got a firm doing a sample for me (they have offered a 10% discount too) and if the result is good enough, I will be able to accurately plan the spend.

With this in mind I have scaled down the original plan for a plethora of various-sized stickers and have arrived at the following, although I will be able to have a bigger bonnet one I think, let's see. (Each car will be numbered but we can't drive around with 'competition-style' numbering).

The only additions to these would be a few lines, in French, which 'explain' a bit what's going on. This could be done as a window sticker in white type. TBC. For example: Un événement de charité a visé à soulever €12.000 (ou plus) pour la recherche sur le cancer. Entraînement autour de la périphérie de la France dans Citroën BXs. Chaque équipe espère couvrir 4.000km en 12 jours. Votre appui sera apprécié. Merci.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I may have been guilty of only considering 'Participants' and the charity.

But there is an opportunity for every BXClub member to 'take part' in the Event, even if actually driving the 2,730-odd miles in France isn't viable.

And thus, the BXagon Supporter is born!

Here are some ways YOU could help.

Publicity.
• As the time approaches feel free to contact to local Citroen Dealership - or indeed your local GSF or whatever... (after February I will be able to provide a poster upon request ) telling them about the BXagon.
• Download the sponsorship form and get people to pledge in support of the Event even if you don't have a team!

Fund-raising.
• Maybe organise a pub-quiz with proceeds going to Cancer Research via the BXagon page...
• Hold a boot sale/garage sale.

Practical Help.
• Offer your services free to a nearby team to help get their BX in tip-top condition for the Challenge...
• Be present at the 'scrutineering' near Folkstone, on the 17th October and help out with last minute team requirements.
• Offer transportation to and from our UK departure point in Folkstone for friends or family who want to wave goodbye.

...and so on...

BXagon supporters will be recognised in post-event publicity (e.g calendar) and, if for every team participating there were a couple of others working in the wings helping to obtain donations and pledges, we could blow our target of £10,000 into oblivion...

So please, even if you can't 'make it', help the Event by becoming a valued BXagon Supporter....

Season's Greetings to you all,

Phil
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

BLIMEY PHIL YOU ARE COOKIN WITH GAS.

What a great idea why not go one step further and have the BXAGON supporters CLUB T shirt.

This is on a roll now nothing can stop this baby.

Regards Kermit ( phil 2)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

PLEASE NOTE.
Not least in recognition of the fact that there is some sort of problem, apparently in the economy :roll: I have been looking at ways of economising/optimising the route. Not easy, but after discussions with Mat Fenwick, we have decided to cut the night stop-over in Arcachon. So now the route will altered thus: From Pau we drive straight to La Rochelle - around 287 miles, with a possible (if the weather's good) lunch rendezvous in Arcachon. We don't think this will be a problem; the route is easy.

Assuming all is well with Mike.E re: bringing the stop-over at his forward a day... this means the dates for the Challenge are: (Changes in bold)

Saturday 17th Oct: Arrive Calais (optional - teams could turn up on the 18th , early).
Sun 18th Oct: START Calais>Saverne.
Mon 19th Oct: Saverne>Pontarlier.
Tue 20th Oct: Pontarlier>St. Jean de Maurienne.
Wed 21st Oct: St. Jean de Maurienne>Digne-les-Bains.
Thu 22nd Oct: Digne-les-Bains>Montpellier.
Fri 23rd Oct: Montpellier>Alaigne.
Sat 24th Oct: Stay on in Alaigne.
Sun 25th Oct: Alaigne>Pau.
Mon 26th Oct: Pau>La Rochelle.
Tue 27th Oct: La Rochelle>St. Gilles Vieux Marche (Mike.E's).
Wed 28th Oct: St. Gilles Vieux Marche>Dieppe (optional detour: Rennes Citroën factory).
Thu 29th Oct: Dieppe>Calais FINISH

Many will want to stop-over on the Thursday night and return to the UK on the Friday - meaning a full weekend back in the UK before returning to work or whatever...