The Sunroof game

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

The Sunroof game

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, I know all estates only had sunroofs as an accessorie/option. I know some 14's and a smattering of Mk 1s didn't have them. But did the 16v always have one - is this pic, attached, get 'airbrushed' for the cover of the brochure?

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

ALL uk spec valvers has them as did GTis. No 14's had eleccy sunroofs as standard nor did 17n/a diesels or of course estate cars.

I imagine that pic is from a european spec car as theres no side repeaters either and the wiper parks on the wrong side.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: The Sunroof game

Post by DavidRutherford »

Philip Chidlow wrote:OK, I know all estates only had sunroofs as an accessorie/option.
No estates had sunroofs from factory. The roof line doesn't allow it. The only sunroof you can fit in an estate is one of those hateful glass pop-out things.
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the 16 valve sunroof question was raised about 50 years ago - may even have been the 'Andyspares' forum - and the conclusion was that not all 16 valves did have sunroofs.

What was probably happening here was that the importer chose the specs which he thought he could sell - and the Brits love sunroofs - so UK ones had them - and many French didn't.

The options game is played in may ways as they're good for profits. If demand is good and you've got to wait some time for the car you want to be produced you may well buy a grands worth of stuff you don't really want so that you get your new car today and can pacify the wife or impress the neighbours or whatever it is that motivates people to pay for new cars.
Mark Dunmore
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark Dunmore »

The Kiwi 16 Valve on another thread doesn't appear to have a sunroof fitted...
'92 BX GTi Hurricane - gone to a good home
'90 BX 19TGD estate - goes, but not going anywhere!
'90 BX 19TGD hatch in even more bits...
'71 Dyane project
'74 2CV6 project
'82 2CV6 Club - gone to a good home
the remains of an '88 2CV6 Dolly - watch this space!
...and a '95 VW Passat auto estate!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Mark Dunmore wrote:The Kiwi 16 Valve on another thread doesn't appear to have a sunroof fitted...
True but they had a/c instead as they did in oz aswel lmy mate from over there tells me.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....