Citroenian Magazine.

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Mr. Chapman makes some very good points indeed, as he always does, bloody level headed intelligent bugger! :wink:

However, whilst I have all the time in the world for Adrian (really, I do, he's a sodding nice bloke), and the club has improved with the addition of our very own Aerodynamica (ok, I know he was over there before he was over here, but we claim dibs!), Craig Turner, Mike Hawker etc, the board still seem to be stuck in 1970.
In the past I know more than one BX owning member of the CCC that have not just been ignored but outright snubbed by the DS / Traction owning landed gentry. Marty's story about his tidy ZX was another example of snobbery within the club and still it remains.
Until there are many more Adrians on the board (ok, not like actual Adrians, unless he's invented a cloning device, but guys of his philosophy) I think the stagnant anti anything modern will remain (and yes, I do still consider the BX a modern car.... just a bloody good modern car).

Anyway, I'll drink to change and shant rehash what I've already said on this here very forum about how anything modern is ignored (the rather tidy Saxo at the national that Nigel brushed straight past being a prime example)..
Whilst I think the CCC does some good and should remain, I equally believe that it must change and embrace the modern or get left behind as the guys with DS' and Tractions pass on there will be no-one left but beer drinking BX boys..
Also, if it does exist within the CCC I've yet to experience any form of camorardery, which this place has in abundance.
I've met many CCC members, and travelled some distance to go to events and local meets, but I've come away feeling rather cold, I just haven't conected with any of the people present, whereas the people I've met on here I've formed immidiate and lasting firm friendships with, and oddly with alot of them we can talk for hours about everything other than cars.

I've no doubt Tim will have plenty of copy for the BX colomn and I wish him well in his endevors in the mag.

Oh, and welcome Adrian! You realise it's now only a matter of time before you get the BX bug and buy one!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toomany2cvs
Confirmed BX'er

Post by toomany2cvs »

docchevron1472 wrote:Mr. Chapman makes some very good points indeed, as he always does, bloody level headed intelligent bugger! :wink:

However, whilst I have all the time in the world for Adrian (really, I do, he's a sodding nice bloke),
<looks around>
Umm...

No, I didn't pay him to type that, nor did I hack his password...
the board still seem to be stuck in 1970.
In the past I know more than one BX owning member of the CCC that have not just been ignored but outright snubbed by the DS / Traction owning landed gentry. Marty's story about his tidy ZX was another example of snobbery within the club and still it remains.
Until there are many more Adrians on the board (ok, not like actual Adrians, unless he's invented a cloning device, but guys of his philosophy) I think the stagnant anti anything modern will remain (and yes, I do still consider the BX a modern car.... just a bloody good modern car).
Sounds like a different CCC board to the one I'll be going along to a meeting of on Sunday, Doc...

Lemme think who's on the board...

Me (Sorry, Wobs, I've sold the Super, the 4x4 AND the XM! Just the Acad, Ellie's 2cv, AK350 van & 1220 Mehari left. Oh, and the Saab 900. Proper one, a black Turbo, of course...)
Nigel Wild Who doesn't know Nigel? He's got damn near everything Citroen have ever produced. Very little of it works, though. Most recent acquisition? An Automatic AX.
Barry Annells Usually arrives to board meetings in - well, a customer's car... Yes, he's got a Traction - a very nice coupe - but it was his father's. For decades. Last time I saw him, he was persuading me how wonderful the B'lingo was. <shakes head>
Brian Drummond A few years back, he replaced the BX he'd had for _ever_ with a C5. Oh, and he's just bought his very first DS.
Derek Shorter God knows how many XMs and bits of XM.
Bill Cameron God knows how many XMs and bits of XM. Between that pair, they're cornering the market in dying XMs.
Alan Kemp Competes in local motor club events in... a BX 16v. Oh, and has a mid-engined CX-powered Lambo Countach rep. Yep, and a DS. A tatty dark blue one.
Then there's the editor, Chris Burmajster. C5 & Pluriel fan. Big time. Strange bloke. The previous editor, Joe Judt? Lovely ol' boy, once you get to know him. Yep, he's got a DS Decap. Had it from new, and done about half a million miles in it. But his other car's a BX 19GT... from new.

No, there's no inherent "Ewww! BX? Too new!" snobbery around the club's board. Nor around the events, as those who I was talking to at the CX & XM rally will agree.

I don't know anything about "Marty's ZX" - and this probably isn't the time or place for detail, but if you want to email or PM me, feel free.
Oh, and welcome Adrian! You realise it's now only a matter of time before you get the BX bug and buy one!
Mmmm. We'll see... Must admit, the <whispers>one time I've had a go in one</whispers> - Shaun Lilley's 16v - I did quite enjoy it. I even managed to keep up with Shaun in his in-law's 24v XM. Gawd knows how. I'm not sure the Maserati we went past knew what hit him.

BTW - Anybody want a Xant? My old man's N-reg 1.8 Dimension is going begging. It's in Sheffield, no tax or ticket, only needs a pair of front tyres.
Adrian
The user name says it all about the fleet.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

toomany2cvs wrote:
BTW - Anybody want a Xant? My old man's N-reg 1.8 Dimension is going begging. It's in Sheffield, no tax or ticket, only needs a pair of front tyres.
Xantias are a dirty word on here Adrian, but I have one and I love it lol! So that makes me doubly unpopular.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
M

Post by M »

toomany2cvs wrote: I don't know anything about "Marty's ZX" - and this probably isn't the time or place for detail, but if you want to email or PM me, feel free.
Hmm, I cant remember what was said about that, the article (but not the photo) got published though I do remember a certain CCC member at one meet totally dissing it, but that wasnt in the magazine and TBH I have got over that - that was his opinion, I have mine and thats all there is too it, some see the BX as the last "proper Cit", some the GSA. I like the Blingo - I think its almost like a modern 2CV and I know that no one else will agree with me there, but I dont really mind.
As they say in Yorkshire - How Much?

I do feel that this thread is in danger though of throwing up more of a divide than the arms of friendship - after all Tims original request was for some copy for the mag. Im sure between us all we can give him some stuff to be getting on with (Tim, BTW feel free to plagarise the bit I posted today in my blog - though its not finished yet)
toomany2cvs
Confirmed BX'er

Post by toomany2cvs »

M wrote:some see the BX as the last "proper Cit", some the GSA
Some said the Traction wasn't a "proper Citroen", some said the 2cv wasn't a "proper Citroen", some said the DS wasn't a "proper Citroen", some said the CX wasn't a "proper Citroen"...

What _is_ a "proper Citroen"?
I like the Blingo - I think its almost like a modern 2CV and I know that no one else will agree with me there, but I dont really mind.
You're certainly not alone - many 2cvgb meets have almost as many B'lings as 2cvs present - and it's definitely the nearest in Citroen's current range to the 2cv, at least as far as utility and flexibility goes. But it's... lacking in that indefinable something...

(FWIW, I reckon the true "modern 2cv" would be a proper public transport system - after all, the original was the answer to the biggest mass transport solution of the day, and that's a question that's changed somewhat over the last 60yrs!)
As they say in Yorkshire - How Much?
As they don't often say in Yorkshire... Nowt, but a reasonable donation to the old fart would be much appreciated. PM me.
I do feel that this thread is in danger though of throwing up more of a divide than the arms of friendship
As I said in my first post, that's certainly not my intention. It's good to get any misconceptions and misunderstandings out in the open and clear 'em up, rather than let 'em stew.

<group hug>
Adrian
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Can't argue with free. Suit you Marty?
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Adrain asks:
toomany2cvs wrote:
What _is_ a "proper Citroen"?

And then says:
The CCC webmeister dude wrote: that indefinable something...

Question asked. Question answered!

I have some issues with The CCC editor, or at least some of his methods, and I'm not overly keen on Barry annals TBH, but thats a personal thing.

Joe Judt is a bloody lovely bloke, and from the brief conversations I've had with Brian Drummond I have nothing bad to say about him either.

As I suspect everyone knows on here already knows I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, call a spade a spade (except when it's a No.4 coal shovel of course) and always say it as I see it, so no, Adrian hasn't paid me (nor does he need to) to say anything nice about him, I said it because I meant it. Rest assured Adrian, if I thought you were a cock, I'd tell you, I'm like that.

Anyway, as Jon said, I'm liking the debate thus far, it makes the internet worth having again!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toomany2cvs
Confirmed BX'er

Post by toomany2cvs »

jonkw wrote:Note to Adrian, who the hell did you sell that Ami Super to? FFS, it should be here.
You had your chance...

It went to some very nice people in York. Who promptly drove it to Sweden and back.
I had plans to completely ruin it with a GSA G13/625 and a five speed box! Oh dear.
<waves 1220 Mehari temptingly>
we need one of those big hugs I guess
I'm not huggin' you. I know where you've been.
Adrian
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Surely a manly handshake and a few ales is the order of the day?
All thuis namby pamby hugging crap is what turned this country into the drug addled diseased shithole it now is.

As you were.

M

Post by M »

docchevron1472 wrote: All thuis namby pamby hugging crap is what turned this country into the drug addled diseased shithole it now is
Talking of which (and going very off topic - did anyone watch that documentary "Heroin, Mum & Me" last night? Proof indeed that drug policy in this country is totally wrong and doing no good at all.

Adrian, after a "chat" with the wife it looks like I wont be making any room in my life any time soon for another Citroen :(
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Those who subscribe should now have there copy with a god awful pic of me in it, sorry :oops:

Remember I still need stories and techy stuff! Thanks to M and Aerodynamica for their input so far.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Nae bother Tim, there might be more on the horizon too!

Nice pic BTW :lol:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dont remind me, its was the only up to date one I had! :oops:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Erm, I'm pretty good at forgetting things sorry: is the magazine only available if you subscribe to the CCC? And if so can you just post up whatever you've written for those of who aren't going to sign up? ta.
Vauxhall apologist.