Citroenian Magazine.

Anything about BXs
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Kitch wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote:If Tim reproduced the article a month behind what appears in the mag then it's not taking an exclusive away from the CCC, and since mags are usually in GSF and the such then surely the CCC want people to read it?
Probably the best all round constructive solution (if the only one) so far. I won't be signing up for it either way, so really I'm not fussed. I can honestly say, hand on heart that while I read every column that was published during my time as a member and enjoyed what I saw, the information available on this very forum and others like it is worth 100 times more to me. If we had to pay for this forum, I would because the amount of information over the years that has helped me with my car has been invaluable! Without it my car wouldn't be on the road today, no joke!
Publications like the CCC mag are redundant now IMO. A few years ago before the advent of all these online forums and clubs they were a lifeline. Now they're a rip-off and the sooner the CCC realise and attempt to combine itself with third-parties such as this forum (and likewise forums for other models) the better off they'll be.
Kitch....I concurr!

Roverman wrote:
Thing is Kitch we use the PC alot and come on here regularly, there are some who have a computer but dont use it alot or like my folks dont have one at all, as they are of that generation and get there info the old fashioned way.

Personally I always read in bed to unwind and normally have something motoring reataed on my bedside (no smart commenst please ), as , which makes a nice change from staring at screen all day, the other bebnefit is that you can keep them for future reference.

With the CCC quite a big percentage of its members are of a "certain age" a magazine would be far more "their bag" than t'internet., you can see how little the forum is used in comparison to the amount of members it has which would indicate this.
Sorry Tim, but 'what a load of conformist PC bolx....'

Billy wrote:We can read that on here Tim but it's not about you and your cars anyhow is it, it's about the BX in general?. If the CCC won't let you reproduce your column after you've posted it in their publication then that's their loss and probably the reason there seems to be quite a ground swell of people who will never join up.
Tim, before you take offence and blow your top at the 'gang warfare' you percieve to descend upon you, just please take a moment to read the comments. People aren't generally against you. You are in a good position to contribute to the CCC and promote the BX within their ranks. Great, really, cos most like me don't have the enthusiasm or can't be arsed to write a column. But don't be so precious about it. Re-read your post to Kitch, It's conformist blaa blaa blaa blaa. You could be Alistair Lying Bastard Darling! Honestly. I'm not having a personal dig. But it's only a car. It's not even a great car! It's a good old work horse that we all appreciate. It's just a bog standard car and one that we are all just genuinely interested in. We all come from different angles but the common interest is what's happening with the 'BX'. It's only a forum. You're not going to get arrested! Have a friendly word and bend the rules a bit. Is your allegiance to the CCC or the BXC?

Again, I'm not having a personal attack ok?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
M

Post by M »

docchevron1472 wrote:
M wrote:(I have before now slept through the smoke alarm going off, the burglar alarm going off and next door going up in smoke with a gas explosion)
Bloody hell Marty, burglers, fires and explosions... have you considered moving to somewhere quieter? Like outside the green zone in Bagdad??!
Weeeell, its not that bad normally. Next door caught fire once and then their gas boiler or cooker went up - daft bint had been chain smoking as usual and chucked one of her dimps in the bin in the kitchen, which an hour of so later had taken their kitchen up in flames. Our smoke detector on the landing went off one night and to this day I still don't know why and the burglar alarm goes off whenever the power trips out (which it did again last night for 6 hours) because we are lashed up to a prehistoric substation - I actually went round there last night to see what the fook was going on and the place was full of acrid smoke whilst two blokes were dicking about with a bank of breakers which had taken all of the village down. They were very nice when I asked them what was the MO and they said that there was too much lashed to this substation and that the Norweb Federation should really have lashed half the village to the other high voltage unit that serves Longton as its a much bigger and newer substation than the one built in the late 30's (admittedly upgraded during the 50's) that otherwise serves the entire village upto Fir Trees estate (bloody yards from my house) and is in need of replacing.
Other people about Tims articles wrote: Some Stuff
Probably the best thing is if someone other than the author posts up a copy, that way Tim doesnt feel that he is betraying the terms of any contractual agreements for producing an article for the CCC, also if we as a club help contribute it can only go to promote the model (that incidentally didnt appear on the CCC stand at the classic car show, but they had an R plate Xantia then, so thats OK!)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

To be fair as a one make general car club you can't blame the CCC for having a Xantia on show, in fact any Citroen. Ok, brand news ones shouldn't really be shown (Citroen can do that themselves) but the BX does need promoting.

I absolutely 100% wholeheratedly agree with Bandit's message by the way, and Kitch's too as he nailed it perfectly with his comments.
The one potential problem Tim is that whilst I can fully understand that you don't want to upset the apple cart at the CCC can you see that it all looks very 'stuffed shirt' and actually does them no favours at all?
The website is quiet (I'm told), the magazine seems to be members only, they won't allow you to reproduce your column on another Citroen forum/club and yet they want £30 a year to be a member?

Anyhow, sod it if they won't let you it's not such a biggie, there's enough info on here to do any BX owner plus friendship and banter which cannot be beaten.

Doc: agree about the Jags mate. I reckon part of their downfall must have been nailing a different body onto a Mondeo chassis and calling it a Jag. Bloody shame when you look at the cars they've built in the past.
Vauxhall apologist.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

cavmad wrote:To be fair as a one make general car club you can't blame the CCC for having a Xantia on show, in fact any Citroen. Ok, brand news ones shouldn't really be shown (Citroen can do that themselves) but the BX does need promoting.

I absolutely 100% wholeheratedly agree with Bandit's message by the way, and Kitch's too as he nailed it perfectly with his comments.
The one potential problem Tim is that whilst I can fully understand that you don't want to upset the apple cart at the CCC can you see that it all looks very 'stuffed shirt' and actually does them no favours at all?The website is quiet (I'm told), the magazine seems to be members only, they won't allow you to reproduce your column on another Citroen forum/club and yet they want £30 a year to be a member?

Anyhow, sod it if they won't let you it's not such a biggie, there's enough info on here to do any BX owner plus friendship and banter which cannot be beaten.
Doc: agree about the Jags mate. I reckon part of their downfall must have been nailing a different body onto a Mondeo chassis and calling it a Jag. Bloody shame when you look at the cars they've built in the past.
Poigniant bits in bold, especially the last part. Tim, maybe a good way is to share roughly the content (if you want/are able to) but don't be afraid to involve members or ask for information/input. I promise it's nothing personal Tim. You're in a unique position to promote the BX and I guess it would be nice to help in any way from the clubs point of view. Lets not forget though it's just a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Can we move on now please, this topic has been worked to death.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Toddman
BXpert

Crusty Car Club

Post by Toddman »

Roverman wrote:Can we move on now please, this topic has been worked to death.
erm.....nope :D
Myself and my bro have been and continue to be occasional members of CCC and as people who don't get chance anymore to go mad for meets I can't really criticise them too much, BUT some very valid points have been raised and the CCC could easily be renamed CCCC (Crusty or Classic it is up to you, but that doesn't mean the BX is not a classic).
The Citroenian is geneally a good read but not great if you are a die hard BX'er and the help and advice you get from it on the BX is tiny and readily available elsewhere.

Some of the CCC shows are awesome and you do usually get anice goody bag.

Surely we should use Tims new appointment as a chance to get a little more involved with the CCC and bring the BX up to a higher stage in peoples minds.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

What's all the fuss?

Does the BX need promoting? - I don't think so - people (non Cit fanatics) refer to it as a classic and 'getting rare' in adverts for sale - are they just desperate?

Is it a classic? - I don't care! All I know is I wanted one.

Should Tim do this that or the other? - his choice full stop.

- Am I missing something Tim? - I write the CX column as you know and I never did get any 'small print' or orders not to reproduce it elsewhere.

The CCC mag used to have a great BX columnist named Doug Proctor - his column was interesting and engaging and showed daily life with the BX all the ups 'n downz. There was technical content too and people used to write in asking the members tech questions - I liked it and still do :wink:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

So we can just forget about it then? Being brutally honest, especially after Aerodymanica's last post in which he states he doesn't believe there's a problem with publishing what's been written, it would appear that you don't want to share your write up. Your choice of course, and none of us are really going to suffer, but it's odd that you don't want to share. Has the perceived CCC mentality got to you? BX columnist today, CCC chairman tomorrow?
Keep your writings Tim, there's enough other stuff on here for us to read.
Vauxhall apologist.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

cavmad wrote:
. Has the perceived CCC mentality got to you? BX columnist today, CCC chairman tomorrow?
Keep your writings Tim, there's enough other stuff on here for us to read.
No it hasnt and that kind of comment isnt really needed, I really dont get WHY so many post on here get spiralled up in people getting hot under the collar, its not a conspiracy, I have no plans to take over the world etc etc, im just trying to do my bit to promote the BX to those who arent on this forum.

Going back to the original post for those who have lost the will to live, I now write for the CCC mag on the bx column with justin Shields aka Jayboy (who is also a bxclub member but oddly enough doesnt get any of shit I do).

If you wish to read whats in the mag you would need to buy a magazine or a be a CCC member, also if you wish to have your stories etc featured in the magazine please get in touch.

PLEASE no more long drawn out replies!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I can understand why theres a reluctancy to hold off whats in the mag from this forum, as some pay £30 to read it and it'd be a bit of a piss take to print it for free on here.
However, personally I see this as no great loss. That's no slant on the people writing the columns, I'm sure they're much more creative writers than myself! But I see it as no loss because I've never seen anything in them which I haven't seen in greater detail online for free.
If some refuse to join last century and get a PC then good luck to them. They'll never realise life becomes much easier once you can access info at your every wish! For everyone else theres the BX Club forum, and when we've got this I see no reason to give Tim a hard time on whether he wants to print it on here or not. I wouldn't if I was in his shoes, or as Doc previously suggested I'd back-date it a month at least. Tim can't do that yet....it hasn't been a month.

Good debate though, although perhaps slightly pointless! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I guess its Tim's decision that matters, its his copyright so he can do what he wants.

Perhaps after a few months worth of contributions, you may want to consider posting up your content, that way it should satisfy everyone's interest in the magazine & this club. Or arrange for another club member to scan said articles.

Either way, good luck with your writings & lets hope for some further members to bxc as a result of the mag.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Well I'm looking forward to your next one Tim, maybe in the future you could do a discussion on BX values or something.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

cavmad wrote: Doc: agree about the Jags mate. I reckon part of their downfall must have been nailing a different body onto a Mondeo chassis and calling it a Jag. Bloody shame when you look at the cars they've built in the past.
Thats not quite true mate. When Jag was told they were going to use the Mondildo floorpan, Jag engineers themselves engineered the floorpan for Ford, which they then used themselves.
I know this cos I know one of the dudes involved!
Infact when they designed the exhaust it was deemed to be too quiet, so they engineered a branch with a flute that rasps under the dash at certain revs to make it sound more fruity!

I lost the will to live years ago Tim, but sods law has dictated that I cant die and I'm stuck with it!

It's up to you of course, and the CCC, but I agree with Kitch, and most everyone else.
You yourself have said that the CCC is still a bit reluctant with the BX, their own forum is pretty dang quiet at the best of times, I think the most users ever on line was 9 or some such! Rocking huh?!

The D section seems to be almost it's own entity within the CCC as does the SeMantics section, with the endless wealth of info from the members of this here forum, and Lukes, and Vanny's and several other notable BX forums I dont think it would be a bad thing at all for the CCC to be more embracing of the public at large and these forums.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I dont recall the sort of camorarderie between members of the CCC as we have on here.
We're a bloody tight bunch of beer swigging beardies that go to extraordinary lengths to help eachother out, have a laugh and further the cause.
All this provided free, for everyones benefit.
Cant beat that.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And to add to that I think - despite (or maybe because of) the slight conflict of cultures shall we say, as demonstrated at the 2008 CCC National - we should all make the effort to appear in force at next year's National and make the BX bunch a force that cannot be ignored...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's been the same at every CCC event I've ever been to Phil, to a greater or lesser extent.
I shant be venturing to the National next year for two reasons.
But I will be at Stratford as usual, where no doubt we'll all be frowned on, but frankley, fuck 'em.
If I psay the same as the next man to be there then I shall turn up, drink beer and not feel guilty about it.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...