Citroenian Magazine.

Anything about BXs
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

docchevron1472 wrote:We're a bloody tight bunch of beer swigging beardies
Hang on a minute, I don't have a beard! And I'm not a big beer drinker either...does that mean that I will be thrown out?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'd say given your sterling performance last CCC National, you are one of our shining stars.
:wink: :D

I know what Doc means, we are - it would appear - a breed apart. I wonder what makes a BX owner seemingly so different from a DS or Traction owner?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I know what Doc means, we are - it would appear - a breed apart. I wonder what makes a BX owner seemingly so different from a DS or Traction owner?
Erm, you can't buy a DS or Traction with MOT and tax for £300? :lol:

There aren't many ratty D's or Tractions around (in full working, roadworthy order), so on the face of it you've either got to be a dab hand with a welder, bodywork, spraying etc. or have an open chequebook for budgeting for resto work.

It's like comparing Sierra owners with Rolls Royce owners. The DS and Traction are very much perceived as luxury cars, and by and large that means a different kind of owner to the BX. There are exceptions to this rule: our own Chris Salter loves his D's and Tractions as much as BXs, Gs and Amis. He used to run a D Super 5 as part of his fleet that at the time included an Allegro, a MK1 BX and a GSA!

Cheers,

Mark.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ahh, not the same as Sierras and RRs exactly, as the Traction/DS et al are all Citroens. And it is, after all about the Marque is it not?

I do agree it's about economics too. Many will be getting a BX as it represents a good car for virtually no money in many cases. Once the bug has bitten, though, it becomes something else. Given a stuffed wallet, would we all part with our BXs to become DS owners I wonder? And, I dare say it wouldn't necesserily follow that a DS owner, who fell on hard times would go for another - cheaper - Citroen like the BX.

For me, Citroen is the binding factor and the BX (because it is an emerging classic) is the one for me. I can't see myself going for a DS. Ever. Or even another GS... hard to see where I'd go 'after' a BX... Maybe a C4 Leob special...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I would love a DS, a 23EFi in gold or red, but sadly I cant see me affording one for a long time yet!.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

We had a lovely blue ds23 efi, Dad sold it & got a bx instead :shock: I told him he was daft, but we were moving abroad etc... i think he does regret selling it....that could have been my inheritance :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Back in the 80s DSs were seen as a weird old banger and could be had for a few hundred - BXs were new and cost much more.

The cheap skate DIYer of today (like me) who runs a BX would have been an 80s DS owner!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mat_fenwick wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote:We're a bloody tight bunch of beer swigging beardies
Hang on a minute, I don't have a beard! And I'm not a big beer drinker either...does that mean that I will be thrown out?
hat Phil said!
You may drink the ale, or have a beard, but we'll forgive the lack of beardage and ale drinking given the extraordinary alcoholic tendencies demonstrated at the National!

It's a broad church mate!
Philip Chidlow wrote:Given a stuffed wallet, would we all part with our BXs to become DS owners I wonder?
I can quite honestly say I wouldn't have a DS if it was given to me free.

I would have a GS, or a Traction, I'd even have an SM, but I have no thirst for a DS whatsoever.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Various people wrote:Stuff about my alcohol consumption
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does that now mean I have a reputation to live up (down?) to?

Anyway, I thought that Todd had stolen my crown at the National for a moment - I awoke after a couple of hours kip, probably not 100% sober, spent a good 10 minutes trying to work out which way was up before I emerged. The first thing I see (and bear in mind that this is about 9 AM) is Todd carrying armfuls of beer!!! "Bugger me" I thought, "that man is a real hardened drinker having 4 bottles for breakfast!" :shock: Turned out they were payment to David R in exchange for a heater matrix or something.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Oh for sure, The Todd is pretty hardcore, but he works at getting bollocksed like the rest of us.

You just went from sober to obliterated in 0.45 seconds, but just kept going regardless.
Now thats special!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toomany2cvs
Confirmed BX'er

<fx: has occasional wander back here>

Post by toomany2cvs »

Interesting selection of views over the last few pages, lads...

I'm not going to dive into the detail - but only quote from the inside front cover of the Citroenian...
Copyright
All matter published in these pages is copyright of the Citroenian (unless it is material with it's own copyright and which we have ourselves obtained permission to publish). The Editor has no objection to extracts being reproduced in magazines, newsletters etc of our companion clubs worldwide. We do, however, request that a suitable acknowledgement as to the source and origin of these extracts be included.
There's no objection on the part of the club to Tim's article being cut'n'pasted here...

Must admit, though - and speaking totally personally - I do find the contrast between the "BURN THEM AT THE STAKE! They prefer the DS/2cv/Traction/CX/<insert model du jour> to the sainted BX!" and "Pah! Xantias! BURN THEM ALL AT THE STAKE! <spit>" quite entertaining...

Happy BXmas to you all...
<wanders off again>
Adrian
The user name says it all about the fleet.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well, you're spot on about Xantia's, utter shite! Burn them all!!! :lol:
(Oh dear, that'll send Dickie G over the edge so it will!)

I think we've got over it all now anyway Adrian TBH.
Good point about copyright issues though, I could have really just read that myself had I ever bothered to read teh small print...

Have to say, the CCC mag is becoming a half good read again.
The likes of Mike Harker, our own BX owning CX columnist, Iconoclast making a regular appearance, the ever good David Evans articles (which are as good to read for the holiday reports as the XM info itself actually) etc make it an entertaining read again, so well done to y'all.
And I even read Richards Xanty column, really, I do. Infact CitroJim's efforts in this months was a bloody good read too.

Although you've been a tad slack lately young Adrian! No article this month...tut tut!

Anyway, it's up to Tim really, I'm not going to piss on his bonfire by reprinting it here, although I always enjoy a good bit of jousting which the last 9 pages certainly provided!

Merry xmas and all that seasonal stuff to you too Adrian.
Dont drink too little!

CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

docchevron1472 wrote:Well, you're spot on about Xantia's, utter shite! Burn them all!!! :lol:
(Oh dear, that'll send Dickie G over the edge so it will!)
I'm somewhat teetering on the edge myself at that comment Doc :lol: Prepare thyself for the angry mob hurling spheres at you, boldly led by DickieG and I....

Pleased you enjoyed my little effort in the Citroenian. All absolutely true as well. There will be more to follow, albeit of a more technical nature. I'm not short of material.

Tim, a belated welcome to the Citroenian :D
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
toomany2cvs
Confirmed BX'er

Post by toomany2cvs »

docchevron1472 wrote:Although you've been a tad slack lately young Adrian! No article this month...tut tut!
<looks downcast>
Jan mag has an article in. I'm about to write Feb's.
Adrian
The user name says it all about the fleet.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Prepare thyself for the angry mob hurling spheres at you,
lol and remember Xantias have more spheres to throw!!

I really like the Xantia and I had the slowest one ever made, the 1.9 D Auto! I found it pleasing an many ways and it felt very solid too. Dead easy to work on (though it was a simple model with less equipment) and with lots of electric bits including all round leccy windows and mirrors etc, it ran perfectly on a heavy veg oil mix until the prices shot up. I'd have another but would go for an Activa next time. My BX may be an early S1 but it's also quite well equipped with electric windows all round and central locking AND it's a wee bit more interesting than the Xant..
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'