Hello, Insurance question!

Anything about BXs
roughbert
Confirmed BX'er

Hello, Insurance question!

Post by roughbert »

I broke my duck on the Wanted forum, but that was earlier today - so it's still "hello" time.

Could not help noticing that a number of you gentle folk list quite a few vehicles in your sig. I've been looking for multi-vehicle insurance on and off for years, in fact when my car madness was at its height I had a traders policy just so I could run - well - anything... So any suggestions for multivehicle insurance? Or are you all so wealthy that it doesn't matter?
David Brown 1190
LDV Convoy
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello Roughbert - good handle by the way - and welcome, what exactly is a David Brown 1190 - some sort of tractor?
Can't help you with the insurance but I think you'll find that though people list a few vehicles they don't all have them all running at the same time.
Yeah the BX Club is full of billionaires cos we all saved $$$$s on not buying that new FRXi.2 de luxe 4WD fully loaded :wink:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It all depends on how many cars you have, and what you use them for i.e. mileage, most classic insurance companies recongnise most vehicles over 15 years old, I have 5 cars but decided to insure them all individually so there was no grey areas, I could get an agreed value on each one.

I pay between £100-£150 on my bxs on limited mileage policies through footman james who are very good and let you pay in installments. A multicar policy is useful but it all depends on how much it costs. I prefer to pay a wee bit more and know where I stand with each vehicle.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Welcome dude.
I did have a traders policy for a while, but now I have each vehicle insured seperatley.

Ironically the two biggest vehicles I own are the cheapest to insure!
For what it costs to insure the 16valve for one year I could insure the Leyland for 8 years...

But since I'm rich it doesn't matter :wink: :lol:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Welcome Roughbert, pleased to see another David Brown owner :-)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
roughbert
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roughbert »

Gosh I hope this message gets posted! It's the fourth attempt. So far they appear to post but just don't turn up on the thread.

Thanks all for your greetings and advice. 2 or 3 quid a week for insurance would be acceptable - ish, I will get a quote off Footman James (FooJam).

Johnathan_dyane, that's one old DB! Shame about the MZs, have you tried ebay?

here goes - post you bugger!
David Brown 1190
LDV Convoy
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Footman James - sub £100 for a TZD. Can't beat that! Not got a multi-vehicule thing tho.!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Well for me insurance in New Zealand is firstly cheap and second not compulsory :shock:

Got to the point where after assesing the risk factor and value that neither BX needs more 3rd party Fire and Theft costs me nz$35 per quarter thats 53 quid per year 8)

The other motor we have costs us 60 quid per year Full Comp although thats now being downgraded next time its due.

(I do miss a UK keyboard with the quid sign)

Even though the Kiwis whine and whinge (they call us poms that as well) about the cost of running a Car over here its flippin cheap. Especially Now petrol has gone down by nearly 40% since Julys spike can actually afford to go somewhere now 8)
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
roughbert
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roughbert »

kiwi wrote:Well for me insurance in New Zealand is ... not compulsory
eh? how's that work then - if some runs over your foot can you legally shoot him?

So how much is petrol/diesel? Have house prices crashed yet? Can I still get there for a tenner?
David Brown 1190
LDV Convoy
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

roughbert wrote:
kiwi wrote:Well for me insurance in New Zealand is ... not compulsory
eh? how's that work then - if some runs over your foot can you legally shoot him?

So how much is petrol/diesel? Have house prices crashed yet? Can I still get there for a tenner?
Its called ACC http://www.acc.co.nz/index.htm funny system covers you against anything and any one. Practically every product or service has an ACC levy added to it petrol, diesel, car tax and even yes Car Insurance. Thats just motoring related I have mentioned! Basically it covers the cost of rehabilitation from your injuries in an accident! You cannot sue for personal injury! And the best part is this scheme is currently a billion dollars in debt so our lovely new goverment has got to balance to books from 9 years of Labour corruption :roll:

Petrol currently sitting at $1.40 for 91, $1.46 fo 95/96 and $1.54 for 98 (where available) with Diesel $1.12. BUT diesel is tax exempt you have to by Road User Miles which adds to the cost plus Tax is about $100 more as well!

House price Crash erm yes for a couple of months it slowed but now picking up again as the interest rate was cut! Lower petrol prices and interest rates the hawks are cirling or should say the lemmings are on the move again.

Getting here for a Tenner well add a K to that but will you find a job? Erm not easily and thats been like that for several years now. Bed of roses its not!

But unlike most Kiwis who whinge more than the alledged poms were doing ok and not complaining about those costs (to much)
roughbert
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roughbert »

kiwi wrote:Its called ACC http://www.acc.co.nz/index.htm funny system covers you against anything and any one.
still trying to get my head around that. The web site is terrifying. I think I know where your billion $ went. Not knocking NZ BTW. I've often thought of living there. Known some great Kiwis.

Staggering statistics on house prices.
kiwi wrote: ...but will you find a job?
feck I hope not.

Well kiwi thanks for that insight. Unless houses are almost free I am unlikely to join you there, but wish you the very best and thanks again for the ACC link.
David Brown 1190
LDV Convoy
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Well I was stupid enough to move here ( thats Nz) from the UK several years ago. To say you get used to it is well not exactly true you just adapt. :?

Should of done a conversion for you and petrol works out as 55p for the stuff used in the BXs.

Incase you want a house mortgages are still at 7%

Swings abnd roundabouts its cheaper to live here cheaper still in aussie but the wages are crap.
roughbert
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roughbert »

kiwi wrote:Swings abnd roundabouts its cheaper to live here cheaper still in aussie but the wages are crap.
Funny, it was like that in 1976 when the State Services Commission offered me a job - at 1/3 of the UK salary. I couldn't take it, but often wonder...
David Brown 1190
LDV Convoy
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

the only way i can do it is get individual insurance for the vehicles. The old ones are on limited mileage, the BX is standard fully comp with Direct Line, the oldies are with Adrian Flux at about £100 each. Direct Line for my BX is about £140.. approx. Mind you i know i could get cheaper.. but sometimes its the quality of the cover that counts.
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

nige! wrote:Direct Line for my BX is about £140.. approx. Mind you i know i could get cheaper.. but sometimes its the quality of the cover that counts.
I suspect that you've just lit the blue touch paper by mentioning Direct Line and quality in the same sentence. If Cavmad spots that he will want to enlighten you with his experience of this company. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto