Todd's '88 16v

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
toddao
BXpat

Todd's '88 16v

Post by toddao »

New in! Took it for a test drive around the hills on trade plates and its still got the stuff!

Last edited by toddao on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hehe your worse than me :D Todd is this the one that was at the Cit dealer that went broke ages back?

Get its machine polished and it will come up well, dont forget to do the cambelt asap!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yeah, Tim, that's the one. Just one owner from new! ( he went and collected it from Cologne in Feb 88 ) Doesn't look like it. I got sick of watching it slowly sink into a state and persuaded him that it was better to shift it to someone who would garage and repair it.
It's been reasonably well looked after, seeing that when he bought it he had a Citroen dealership but then it sat and that does it's own damage. He did a bit of work on it before Christmas to get it running but there's a way to go. I had technical support from the Doc ( cheers mate!) so I was 'armed ' when I went in for the final showdown, to prise it from him. Sometimes I thought he would rather let it rot than let it go for a reasonable price but now the deal is done he's encouraging me to fix it and will help where he can.

I notice that the Cylinder head is made by 'Stihl' the German metals and manufacturing company. Is this on all models? They've got a factory near here that makes chain saws!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The 16v's did indeed have Stihl heads.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well done! The biggest headache (don't want to put a downer on it :wink: ) will be the pipework (front-to back) - not only the hydraulics but fuel line too. (The latter is a relatively easy fix I think).

BUT you don't put a load of salt on the roads there do you? So it may be OK...

Anyway. Congratulations... \:D/
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Cheers Phil! Yes, I'll look forward to those jobs :shock: Luckily I've got a pit made from an old manure tank that was sunk in the ground ( it's been cleaned out!) I reckon this 16v and your white one were made about the same time.
Incidentally Phil, you said the previous owner of your car sold his SM to buy the 16v - do you know what he's moved onto now? If he follows the pattern it would be a C6 I suppose..
Todd

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Welcome to the "valver" club :wink:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Todd, it was the guy who bought the car new in 1988 who traded in his SM. God knows what (and if!) he's driving now :D
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Probably a C1? :D
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just hunted this thread out after reading your rat look thread.

Don't ever polish it - or even wash it! Get it perfect underneath and go Corsa hunting :twisted:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I did give it a wash - it didn't make much difference but just to remove the moss!(I can't be a true Ratter then - some of them probably would plant the moss :? ) But I think it's impossible to polish it - the paint is practically pink, verging on white in some places.
I'm getting it together now - aiming for The National. It's already slightly cosmetically altered and I've almost gathered all the parts for its mechanical re-hab. Not so easy to source some parts here cheaply and the postage just from neighbouring France is stupidly high.
Hopefully to be seen early summer out on the Autobahn ( though the yellow fella needs work, and the ole bus.. and the house .. :-s )
Todd

simonbx17
BXpert

Post by simonbx17 »

well done tod i must say the mk1 16v's are best looking bx :D i forward to seeing it at the national. :wink:

incidently there are a set ot gutman rims (lattice style) on ebay in france going for about £195? :wink:

cheers
Current.
00' Fraud Mondeo 2.0 ghia x......i know couldn't resist a bargain.
99' Peugeot 306 1.4 lx. nicely spec'd.
-----------------------------------------------------------
93' xm 2.1 turbo D saloon 203.000mls has been sold to "citroenxm".
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Last edited by toddao on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sound motor, matey!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Never mind this polishing crap! Get it structurally and mechaically sorted first up old bean. A car never failed an MOT or a TUV for dull paintwork and for a very good reason.

Polishing only prolongs the death of an unsorted car!!

You have an enviable collection of BX's Toddao!!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue