Todd's '88 16v

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

tim leech wrote:The 16v's did indeed have Stihl heads.
Erm, no they dont!
They have a PSA head (well PugRot head if you want to get REALLY technical about it)..
Only the Cam cover is made by Stihl...

I do love the rat look, but no splitter?! Whats that all about??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Doc wrote
but no splitter?! Whats that all about??
Ground control to Major Tom. Splitter? I might be able to say what happened to it if I knew what it wás! :D

( If you've got a spare one lying about?)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I believe the Doc is referring to the part which is usually attached below the bumper and protudes forward beneath the foglights. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Ascot Valver

Post by Ascot Valver »

:D

Hello Todd I'm a new member also owning Phils old 16v Ph 2 however this ones looks the best ph1 i have seen (picture wise anyway) many congrats check out my pics under ascot valver...Thanx phil by the way for stiking those pictures on for us.....ps the guy px an SM for a BX well suppose was a new BX 16v, i also own an SM along with the 16v (wife is still just about talking to me !!! ) and must say owniing two of these rare motors is fantastic.. well untill u get the 1st Bill !!!!!!!!
Foxtrot One !
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello Ascot Valver and thanks for the nice words. Yes, I'm fond of photgraphing it in its faded glory. I like your 16v too ( and of course the SM) - one of the tidiest there is - sad when Chidders sold it but good that another enthusiast took it on! I also know your neck of the woods a bit, having burned up and down the A3 in my Chevanne a few years ago regularly visiting a girlfriend out there.
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It lives! After having sat on stands for the last few months because of various 'underneath' issues it rolled back out into daylight today. Still too fing much to do before it's legal again!

Now on matt black Swift 2 alloys minus their covers. I saved these from the scrap and sprayed them up

Got it ticking over nicely at a pleasant 1k rpm and gave it the once a year bath..

Todd

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ooooh that sooo needs to be got back on the road. Thanks for the pics!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent stuff Todd, hope you have a BIG bottle of t cut.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Sorry to butt in, but what happens if you use t-cut on plastic bonnet/boot lid?

Those wheels look great.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for encouragement.

I thought I'd leave the paint as it is for now. Maybe do a before and after at The National next year Tim? :wink:

The wheels were a Citroen extra here in Germany but were never supplied for the 16v. I had quite a job hunting down the TÜV paperwork which is required to prove these wheels are suitable for the 16v when one goes to the test.
Eventually someone who was selling a set on Ebay provided me with a photocopy of the paperwork from 1989 where they are specified as suitable for the BX 16v by some obscure government testing facility. Without this piece of paper I wouldn't get the TÜV. Mad. Also the tyres have to be 'V' rated to 240kmh, again as specified on the rego papers ( the papers specify only Michelin MXV which are no longer available! Though the local TÜV gave me a waiver on that madness). It was hard to find a part-worn set for a good price.. it's fitted with Toyos now.
Todd

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Wooscary wrote:Sorry to butt in, but what happens if you use t-cut on plastic bonnet/boot lid?

Those wheels look great.
The paints the same as on the rest of the car as far as I know so as long as you dont go mad and t cut all the paint off it should be fine.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

dont you dare cut and polish that car- looks SOOOOO fantastic as a matt red/ratrod style 16v, speshly with the period alloys!

rebuild the mechanicals if you must, but she looks GREAT with that patina on her!

PS minus old stickers!
one thing better than owning a 16v-owning TWO 16vs
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Roverman wrote:
Wooscary wrote:Sorry to butt in, but what happens if you use t-cut on plastic bonnet/boot lid?

Those wheels look great.
The paints the same as on the rest of the car as far as I know so as long as you dont go mad and t cut all the paint off it should be fine.
Cool, I'll give it a go. Cheers. Not sure about the going mad bit though, I thought that was a requirement?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Another vote for leaving it as is! Actual ratlook is very, very cool. Can't stand fake patina, and Tim's got enough shiny BXs to make up for it! :wink:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks fellas - you guys kill me!

NZ16v (I love your 16v too mate!) - I actually applied those period stickers myself! Quite authentic looking apart from they haven't faded enough.

In my recently aquired cache of BX shite is a bronze tailgate from a 1984 TRD complete with badges and I've started considering fitting that with a louvre to match. Dats rat!

The only incentive to restore it would be to get the 30 year 'historical vehicle' status and that wouldn't be until 2018. I am getting it mechanically sound though.
Todd