Skip's 1989 BX TD

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:Mine returns a fairly consistent 44mpg (dropping into the 30s when crossing London) except when being driven by David, a man not known for his nun-like driving style.

When it manages 47mpg.
:mrgreen:

I do indeed have an almost-identical DTR turbo, also on an "F" plate, registered January 1989. Mine is dented, rusty and generally a bit dilapidated, but is still in good mechanical condition, and has just passed its MOT.

Can't complain either. It's the 3rd MOT it's passed in my ownership, and it only cost me £60 with 3 Months tax, 5 months MOT and half a tank of juice! (did need a cambelt and a water pump though....)

I'd agree that you can get anything between high 30's and low 50's MPG from a DTR turbo. At the moment I get a rather crap 40ish, but then it's doing lots of short journeys, lots of cold starts, and lots of work around my local lanes (speeds up and down all the time). If you were to make a decent cross-country journey, and drive the car in it's torque band all the time (2000 - 3000rpm) you should make 50mpg without difficulty.

Does yours have ABS too?
this might be a signature
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Skip wrote:
MULLEY wrote:Can that rot in the A pillar be sorted? or would it need replacing?
Havent had a close look at it but it doesnt look good tbh :(
It can be sorted! It just depends on ££££
If you remove the windscreen seal (carefully) then you can see the full extent of rust in that area. You probably have 2 options really

1 is to remove loose rust and treat (Granville is good stuff) maybe use filler if you have to, prime and paint and waxoyl up the A pillar

2 is windscreen out job and weld in a new section/patch.

It's fixable but it comes down to the usual things like money, time, effort etc.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Skip

Post by Skip »

Well it looks like the dream is over before it has begun! :cry:

BX went for its MOT yesterday and from what I am told it failed on the front subframe being cracked - so badly that you could put your hand in the crack! :shock: I am no mechanic but father-in-law says its not worth repairing so its going to get weighed in instead - I am quite upset! :(

We thought it was just a formality as the rest of the car is ok really... :x
-
'06 Kawasaki Z750S
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Do you not have a welder? Most old BXs now (including my own 16v) has has a plate or two on the subframe, That would be a real shame, is that all it failed on.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Skip

Post by Skip »

Roverman wrote:Do you not have a welder? Most old BXs now (including my own 16v) has has a plate or two on the subframe, That would be a real shame, is that all it failed on.
Like I said I am no mechanic/welder - I can only go on what I was told - I must admit it did seem a little odd that with that one blow he dismissed the whole thing (personally I think he was a little miffed that he hadnt spotted it in the first place)

I tried convincing him but he was adamant :(
-
'06 Kawasaki Z750S
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Oh dear up to you really, if it were me I would take it elsehwere and see what they would charge to weld it up as it wold be a shame to see the old Girl scrapped for a bit of welding, but as I freely admit I am no mechanic so it could be a major job, but a subframe change isnt impossible and Im sure one of the boys have a spare somewhere.

To alot of mechanic its "just an old car" where to some its more than that, me included.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Skip wrote:Well it looks like the dream is over before it has begun! :cry:

BX went for its MOT yesterday and from what I am told it failed on the front subframe being cracked - so badly that you could put your hand in the crack! :shock: I am no mechanic but father-in-law says its not worth repairing so its going to get weighed in instead - I am quite upset! :(

Fitting another subframe is remarkably quick and easily! The engine and box will happily hang from their mounts in the inner wings; the bulk of the job is breaking balljoints and messing with some HP piping...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Skip

Post by Skip »

Roverman wrote:Oh dear up to you really, if it were me I would take it elsehwere and see what they would charge to weld it up as it wold be a shame to see the old Girl scrapped for a bit of welding, but as I freely admit I am no mechanic so it could be a major job, but a subframe change isnt impossible and Im sure one of the boys have a spare somewhere.

To alot of mechanic its "just an old car" where to some its more than that, me included.
jonathan_dyane wrote:
Skip wrote:Well it looks like the dream is over before it has begun! :cry:

Fitting another subframe is remarkably quick and easily! The engine and box will happily hang from their mounts in the inner wings; the bulk of the job is breaking balljoints and messing with some HP piping...
Well its definitely a no go - apparently there was a lot more rot in it than he first thought - he doesnt have the time to source parts and fix it either :(

Still - I might gee him up to get the 16v back on the road at least!
-
'06 Kawasaki Z750S
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Isn't it worth buying it at a knockdown scrap price and doing it up yourself rather than it being weighed in? Seems strange that it's degraded from a known good one to a total dog so quickly. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I also can't believe it's that bad. Yes, there's likely to be a bit of rust in it here and there, but is it really goosed?

If you want a replacement front subframe, I've got one here that you are welcome to have for free.

I'd agree that if you can buy it for "scrap" value (about £20 these days) then it has to be worth spending £200 getting it repaired.
this might be a signature
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

/\ Take him on the offer!!!! Are the DTRs rarer than the average turbo diesels? Could well be worth the effort. Skip, Norfolks too far away mate, move west and we'll sort your car out (you need to supply several tankers of Beer tho' :lol: )
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The DTR turbos are scarce nowadays, with the rarest being the RD Turbos. Purely down to that they only made them for 18 months where the TZD was around for 4 years.