Todd's 1985 TRD

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Super retro feel. I bet some people on this forum weren't even born in 1986!

That number plate would suit a knob in a Fiat X19 too :)

Not that you're a knob or ... oh, I'll get me coat ... :lol: :roll:

DOB - 05/07/1986 so your quite right there :D

I've said it before, I'll say it again, this car is awesome, although what happened to the louvres?
Nic

- 1995 Xantia SX TD (daily hack)
- 1987 BX 16V (project)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

22, your still in short trousers compared to most of us on here!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Super retro feel. I bet some people on this forum weren't even born in 1986!
Come on then Phil spill the beans, what's your D.O.B.? Can you remember? :lol: :lol:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Glad that the ski apparel is appreciated - it does go with the car I suppose - most of it comes from the same exclusive boutique : the charity warehouse where I also got that sofa. I think the total cost of that 80s shock was about €5. Also we were listening to a bit of ' Aceeeeiiiiiid music as we motored up there from the same era on the really funny tape player that was fitted in the BX probably from 1985 , the brand name being 'Cardio'.

Mulley, I didn't even know those poles were called 'Blizzard' - I bought them for the day-glo effect, from the same outlet. I'm a self-taught skier, starting from when I moved here four years ago - no lessons, all second hand equipment just launched myself off the top and fell over a few times. They used to call me Eddie The Eagle of course because they've never seen an English on that local slope ever! Now I'm slightly improved.

It's a 15 min drive from home, slightly quicker today as it was the last day that I had the 'red' plates so it would have been rude not to take the 16v for one more blast!

Here's another from yesterday of the TRD with my neighbour who thought he was in Back to The Future! I will take some interior shots next.

Nstarmore, the louvre is currently 'resting' between assignments because I haven't quite got the fixing situation sorted - the fixings are there but the clips are not and I'm afraid it will take flight as I'm driving along. Don't worry - it's gonna come back so hard it'll hurt, along with some rather fetching yellow fogs that I lifted off a Mk.1 in a French scrappers last year!

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So, do the red plates enable you to drive any car that would otherwise not be road legal?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Mat asked
So, do the red plates enable you to drive any car that would otherwise not be road legal?
When I needed to get the TRD through the TÜV I went, with insurance papers to an 'office' where they give you number plates for a week for test-driving, going to the test..

I took a few liberties . They were meant for the TRD but as they're both technically 'BX19s' I couldn't forsee any problems. Not much police presence around here.

The Red plates are similar to what in Uk traders have - these are not really red but I don't know what else to call them - they've got the date stamped on them when they expire - 19,12,08. I paid €20 - it's not all bad here. Also, though the TÜV is strict - at least it's for two years!
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Here's a nice picture of the tweedy interior where a German Grandad called 'Wilhelm' used to sit and keep everything nice and clean for 20 years. I think with our dog and kid the life expectancy of these seats now is about another ten minutes.

Fortunately I bought a still boxed 10 piece set of 'BX Tecnic' seat covers in a very nice grey velour that will be fitted to herald the coming of 2009. The problem is there isn't enough velour to cover the middle box where I keep my cassette overflow - this has been keeping me awake at night :) ( not my sleepless,noisy daughter!)

And here's the moody after market sunroof ( or should I say rainroof) that leaks wherever it can and doesn't appear to have any drain holes or tubes ( not in the regular BX places), though I know it must somewhere. Will probably have to take the head lining out to find them. If anyone's got any bright ideas.

I'm now going to tip a beers or two into my head to make sure my drain tube isn't blocked!

Todd

CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Was thet rainroof an after-market fitment? A lot of the after-market ones did not have drains and just relied on a good seal 'twixt glass and rubber to keep the rain out.

If it's a standard fitment it will more than likely have drains and these will exit in the wheel arches; at the tops of the rear arches and (usually) half-way yup the outsides of the A pillers (in space between door and wing) at the front. They usually clog with mud on their outlets.

That is one very seriously smart BX Todd :D
toddao wrote: The problem is there isn't enough velour to cover the middle box where I keep my cassette overflow
Still listening to cassettes Todd?

You really are still motoring in the 80s :lol:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In my opinion that isn't a Citroen factory-fitted item or indeed an 'optional extra' but a true after-market one, either fitted by the dealer or after the car was driven off the forecourt. Which mean it relies entirely on its seal to keep water out of the cabin. I don't even think improvising the drain tubes will ensure successful water-tightness. My suggestion would be to seal it up - but not with fistfuls of mastic like some jokers do (CX's seem to attract this particular method - messy) - but by considering adding to the seal with an extra rubber strip and using clear silicone internally to get a tight fit.

But you might need to adjust the fit? Whatever you do you need to stop it leaking.

Great BX there, Todd.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Classic make Blizzard in the 80's/90's, not sure if they are still going as i havent ski'd for years, dead jelous of all the fun you're having on the slopes.

Get some lessons sorted mate, you'll improve 10fold & that makes ski-ing even more fun. Before you know it you'll be zipping down the slopes getting air :D aaaaahh memories :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:Classic make Blizzard in the 80's/90's, not sure if they are still going
Already answered this for you to your earlier post Mulley, & gave the link to poles! :roll: :wink:
Way2go wrote:Yes, not in dayglo any more but you can go higher tech into carbon fibre. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Didnt see your post way2go, must have been on page 1, i'll have a gander :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BX Bandit wrote:
Come on then Phil spill the beans, what's your D.O.B.? Can you remember? :lol: :lol:
June 1961. :shock:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Todd what ARE you thinking get some rubber floor mats in that car AT ONCE :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, that sunroof is a tragedy really. After old Wilhelm bought every single Accessoires available from Citroen you would have thought he could have stretched to a decent sunroof, though the one in the 1985 Accessoires brochure that came with the car looks quite similar.

The water comes in through the fixing screws and the spindle where the winder attaches - I'm going to have to fill them up with sealant. Luckily he always had it garaged as I do, so the rain hasn't got to the floor.

Tim, I have got some quite raw looking rubber mats, but I took them out for the photo. I'm looking for some better ones.

Mulley, I'm not really that bad at skiing - I don't fall over much anymore and I generally befriend other skiers who are better than me, then try to keep up with them. One of my skiing mates is 85 years old and was a prisoner of war in England in WWII - he hadn't spoken English since the 1940s and now you can't stop him!

Jim, re cassettes. Yes I still use that technology - I even tape my favourite radio show once a week!

Todd