Todd's 1985 TRD

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Brilliant post and pics Todd. Keep them coming.....

Although reduced to expat status, like me - you are single handedly showing us all how to post in an interesting, amusing and informative histoire.

Humbled Jaba.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

There is even that strange power plug being offered in your brochure that fits the rear of the centre console. :shock: 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Strange power plug? They're not that difficult to find are they? This is the standard plug, while this can also be used in a normal cigarette lighter socket. That said, it is annoying to have to replace the plugs on all the 12V equipment to be able to use the rear socket, even if (IMO) they do give a more positive(!) connection.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I guess you could wire up a cigarette double socket extension with one of those plugs? Making it a little more 'universal'? Saying it gives a more 'positive' connection would that make it a better be for connecting an invertor?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Thanks for info Mat. :D
Philip Chidlow wrote:I guess you could wire up a cigarette double socket extension with one of those plugs? Making it a little more 'universal'? Saying it gives a more 'positive' connection would that make it a better be for connecting an invertor?
I was just thinking that myself with a triple ciggy outlet that a mate bought down at Aldi.

Not used this socket ever, but based on Mat's advice it would seem to be a more secure point for your inverter. Is the full 16A available at this point? What mains powered gadgets are you intending to run from the inverter?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I reckon it would be better for an inverter or any high current device, IF the wiring can take it. Although the fuse (no. 7) is rated at 30A, I seem to remember from the owners manual that it is described as a 12V 10A socket.

Cigarette lighter sockets only rely on the spring pressure on the central pin of the plug to give a good contact, which can give a high resistance connection (plus it can lose contact if the wire is moved). The rear socket has 2 spring loaded contacts which grip around a groove on the central pin giving a larger contact area and more resistance to the plug pulling out.

Sorry Todd if we're getting a bit anal here...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Still off topic sorry... the invertor would be used for charging a laptop, mobile phone or PSP... no tellies or anything!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Still off topic sorry... the invertor would be used for charging a laptop, mobile phone or PSP... no tellies or anything!
Mmmh.........An inverter is probably not necessary then as 12volt charging leads will be better and more efficient.

Car charging leads for many makes of phone are available at £1 from Poundland.

PSP will be similar but maybe need to go elsewhere to the pound shop.

The laptop again you should be able to get a lead for so long as the rated battery voltage is no higher than 12volt. Certainly I've run Toshiba laptops on a dc lead in the car in the past.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote:The laptop again you should be able to get a lead for so long as the rated battery voltage is no higher than 12volt. Certainly I've run Toshiba laptops on a dc lead in the car in the past.
Even if it is higher than 12v, a DC-DC converter built into a lead of some sort is much less lossy than inverting up to 230v, then transforming and rectifying back down to <30v DC.

TBH, I don't see the point of low-power inverters.. you can't actually do anything with them.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Re: Inverters I agree, I used to have one which I used to run my iBook with (as I don't have a car adaptor for it), but really it's a bit pointless.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mat_fenwick wrote: I seem to remember from the owners manual that it is described as a 12V 10A socket.
I believe you are quite right, although I'm not sure I'd want to run 10Amps through that cable. It's a tad M. Mouse Esq..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

(very) Rough rule-of-thumb: 1mm cross section area for every 10A of load.

.. so yes. I wouldn't want to put 10A down there either. If memory serves, that cable looks about 0.5mm cross-section area, so even 5A is pushing your luck a little.
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I'd say 0.5mm is about right, but it gets worse the fusebox side of the multiplug, looking at that I wouldn't want to charge my phone with it, and that only draws 300ma!

Interesting rule of thumb that David, this I did not know, but then I know naff all about lektricky. Other than it's all done with smoke!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Doc and David

I subscribe to both theories of the lektrickery but i have to say the thought of anywhere near 10 amps passing between the two front seats under a plastic centre consol is not my idea of safe.

I think a heavy duty high smoke pressure wire direct from the main smoke store ( the battery ) is what is needed and a high capacity smoke valve ( a fuse ) is an additional safety feature that is definitly a must.
The fuse/valve must be fitted under the bonnet as close to the battery/smoke store to allow any escape of smoke to disipate into the engine compartment and not into the interior.

As to the cross sectional area it goes without saying as in most other things the bigger the better. !!!---)))

Happy new year to everyone ^^ ^^ ^^bx> drunk ~ale~

Regards Kermit :) :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

And should you accidentially loose some smoke from the wiring, you'll need this:

Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...