I have a dream

Anything about BXs
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

I have a dream

Post by Jaba »

Its 2009 and loads more BXs will be scrapped.
Citroen will delete even more parts.

My dream is to have a location where we can buy up and stockpile scrappers to have a reserve supply of parts and also cars to restore to regular use. And also invest, perhaps, in new parts as they become available to enable the BX to be kept on the road when all the usual spares providers have given up on us.

Its only a dream and would obviously require investment. Other models and makes seem to have achieved this, MGB, Moggie, DS ,blahblah
Why not the BX as well or is it really to be just the ugly duckling of the Citroen marque.

This is obviously outside the remit of the club but are there any other dreamers ??
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well didn't Tim locate a BX graveyard recently? Also, Edwards in Billericay are quite a good breakers of all things Citroen... So my dream would be to get the BXs from the former to the latter!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I would like to be able to offer space for this facility here (that way I get first choice of all the bits!) but given that I would like to remain happily married (and attached to my intimate parts) this will have to remain a dream for now...
If the price of scrap is still low, now would be an ideal time to do it. I'm still not too worried about the situation, most mechanical parts are shared with other PSA models and I haven't (yet) had the dreaded NLA with the BX. Although I did get a shock when at the weekend I needed brake pads urgently, only place open was Halfords( :( ) only to find that they didn't list the BX in their parts guide (but did list the Visa and CX :? ), and didn't have any in.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Brake pads are one of the things that I have my own little kan-ban running on. I always have a spare set available, so that if I run out of brakes on a sunday afternoon, I can fit them, and then buy another set when the super-cheap motor factors are open.

TBH I only think parts availability will be an issue when there are significantly fewer BX's on the road than there are now, and at that point they will undoubtedly be driven only by the sort of enthusiast who has the space to keep their own stockpile of spares. Just about any CX/DS/GS owner has their own little stash of parts
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, wouldn't amassing our own parts stash make it far *more* likely for stuff to get discontinued, as it would reduce people going to the motor factors and buying it?

With the exception of trim and body panels, I would imagine mechanical parts and service items to be available for a *very* long time over the counter at good motor factors... If Citroen themselves stop supplying, it does not necessarily make things become unavailable, most (if not all) things are made by external contractors, not Citroen themselves, who will be more than happy to still supply as long as it is economic.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

A parts stockpile is a good idea, thats what i'm currently doing at the moment when i can afford to. My problem is that quite a few parts could do with a checkover, service etc... which i'm currently not able to do due to lack of tools, knowledge etc...

If someone is prepared to stockpile stuff for members then thats great, but they would have to make themselves known. I'm happy to store a few parts & bring to the national etc... if collection is a problem at their end.

What would be a great idea is if members with the technical skills & tools could refurbish said parts that members have stockpiled, either payment is made for the work or perhaps if someone has loads of parts that one of the refurbers would like, perhaps payment by way of said parts.

I'm not sure if this is feasable or if anyone is remotely interested in doing this, so just a suggestion. I'm sure theres plenty of negatives with this, another alternative would be to have an open day at a members place with them showing how to refurb e.g pumps, fdv's, struts, calipers etc...That way a few members could turn up with said part(s), learn something & probably sort out their part on the day. Again either some form of beer tokens or a takeaway for lunch etc... would be ok for the club member doing the seminar. Again this is fairly involved & might not suite various members, however in cash strapped times this might prove to be decent payback whilst helping out club members etc...

Anyways, a few things to think about for the future. Feel free to rubbish my ideas, as clearly i wont be giving many seminars myself, although i can do a strut removal :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Jaba, I too have such visions of BXs accumulated but, as Mat mentions marital bliss would suffer!
I think living in Uk there is quite a good exchange within the club which unfortunately is too far for me. But then I have the French yards not too far away though it's not always possible to get what you want.

I couldn't bring myself to break the TRD that is now my daily wheels but the yellow has acted as a parts donor for that unfortunately. My Citroen friend here is breaking a BX16 this weekend so I'll be onto that for some bits but I really would like another 16v breaker to feed the other. One has appeared but I don't think I've got the heart to break it and then I'd be looking for another to feed those two and so on and so forth til I'd probably be living in the back of my van after wifely dissent!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Well didn't Tim locate a BX graveyard recently? Also, Edwards in Billericay are quite a good breakers of all things Citroen... So my dream would be to get the BXs from the former to the latter!
I did indeed, Bullwinkles has over 20 bxs in various forms of repair and are for sale/parts.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Mulley - seminars idea is a good one!
My Citroen friend here is breaking a BX16
- would it be a 'TRS' type? if so I'm still searching for a pair of those C pillar windows if they're any good!

Also does anyone have the contact details for the Bulwinkles place?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I wouldn't. I've tried breaking the remains of one here and got called a 'murderer' on the 16v forum :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

bx stockpiling

Post by chriscarterstevens »

hello chaps. i think you'll all agree that there are a few things about our club which would mean discussed ideas above are feasible

1) the spirit of good will to all on the forum and the respect and consideration we have for our cars and each other,

2) the fact that we all have pretty much the same basic motivations in keeping the bx on the road (the fact that its a fabulous car)

3) just to be individual

4) im sure there are many other reasons PLEASE INSERT YOURS HERE...

basicly, anyone who has storage could of course benefit principally by this stockpile, but i think what we need to do is discuss finding a suitable place to store whatever we have and discuss the investment needed. as most of us struggle for ample storage (i suspect) it would be nice to have somewhere we can all descend on when neccessary.

im certainly interested...

let the negotiations begin
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

bx stockpiling

Post by chriscarterstevens »

hello chaps. i think you'll all agree that there are a few things about our club which would mean discussed ideas above are feasible

1) the spirit of good will to all on the forum and the respect and consideration we have for our cars and each other,

2) the fact that we all have pretty much the same basic motivations in keeping the bx on the road (the fact that its a fabulous car)

3) just to be individual

4) im sure there are many other reasons PLEASE INSERT YOURS HERE...

basicly, anyone who has storage could of course benefit principally by this stockpile, but i think what we need to do is discuss finding a suitable place to store whatever we have and discuss the investment needed. as most of us struggle for ample storage (i suspect) it would be nice to have somewhere we can all descend on when neccessary.

im certainly interested...

let the negotiations begin
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

The reason why it works for the MGOC (and Moggies and DSs) is that there are bloody millions of MGBs on the road; it's therefore financially worthwhile for them to stockpile and remanufacture parts. It won't work for BXs, which will be exceedingly rare in a few years.

We need to learn from GS/A owners, and people like Borgward fanatics.

Excellent idea though, and I'm not being a killjoy - I just think you're maybe looking in the wrong places for inspiration.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

There are loads of BXs out there still particularly in its motherland - just look on that French website Leboncoin.com - hundreds! Probably more than MGBS. I think one of the major appeals of the BX is it seems to be our secret and is actually very cheap to buy and maintain if you have good support like our club provides! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I am still depressed. My post evoked few supporters and some who ignored or missed the major point and then the inevitable killjoys.

I see this week cars for sale or they will be scrapped. What is this club for if we cannot do something about this ? Are we fiddling while Rome burns.

My dream still exists - to buy up saveable cars for the future.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.