Wheeltrims!

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Wheeltrims!

Post by mnde »

Try as I might, I can't get my brand new BX GTi wheeltrims to fit on my Meteor. I've used up all my strength trying and now I ache all over. I even tried hitting them round the rim with a mallet wrapped in cloth.

This is the type:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom about fitting wheeltrims? It doesn't help that the wheels are rusty I suppose... I had to give up after much swearing and cursing and put those fake alloy trims back on :( Argh.

Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Just a thought but aren`t GTi wheels different to standard wheels? I`m thinking they won`t fit because the dish of the GTi wheels are different to the standard ones.
Do you have the thick rubber band on the GTi trims as per the standard wheels and also have you matched up one of each wheel to see if they are different?
Vauxhall apologist.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

What type of fixing are they? I've seen most types of BX wheeltrims, but never any that look like these.....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I agree with DLM - I've never seen anything like them! - but there looks to be a genuine Citroen bag in the photo.

I thought standard steel GTi wheels were vented whereas the others had solid discs. I say that as our ZX 1.9D has veneted wheels and what looks to be a similar fixing to the BX - ie the retaining ring that pulls out when you don't want it to.

I don't know if these trims have the retaining ring - or if they are a more conventional fixing that doesn't require one?

jeremy
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've seen and fancied these trims on many occassions but never seen a full set at once. Are they held on with a thick rubber ring at the back or do they have to be clipped in the a seperate ring which stays in the wheel.

I know some trims will not fit the vented wheels and vica versa.
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with DLM - I've never seen anything like them! - but there looks to be a genuine Citroen bag in the photo.

I thought standard steel GTi wheels were vented whereas the others had solid discs. I say that as our ZX 1.9D has veneted wheels and what looks to be a similar fixing to the BX - ie the retaining ring that pulls out when you don't want it to.

My estate has a mixture of solid and vented steel wheels, I believe the solid ones were the earler versions and all(?) later BX`s had vented wheels.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Didn't the Hurricane come with these on.?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Hub caps

Post by Mike E (uk) »

These are always falling off, and usually look tat anyway.

Why not get a set of alloys?

They wont fall off when you steam through deep puddles.

Incidently,
I have a set of 8V GTI wheels which are going spare.

£20 if you collect them. (or pick them up at the Gayden meet)

Mike
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

ken newbold wrote:I've seen and fancied these trims on many occassions but never seen a full set at once. Are they held on with a thick rubber ring at the back or do they have to be clipped in the a seperate ring which stays in the wheel.

I know some trims will not fit the vented wheels and vica versa.
These trims came in Citroen bags - one of them was still sealed. On the label it says ENJOLIVER BX GTi 90. They each have a thick rubber/plastic rim surrounding the metal clip ring. My wheels are all vented, and I tried fitted one on each of them. I'll be pissed if they don't fit, cos they look gorgeous! There was a BX on eBay a while back that was wearing these- can't remember whether it was a GTi or a TZD. I think they are more usually seen on ZX's. I wasn't aware that there was any difference in shape between the solid and vented wheels. Sigh :(

Mark.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

ken newbold wrote:Didn't the Hurricane come with these on.?
The Hurricane came standard with the 8V GTi alloys in silver.

The wheel trims in question here were standard on late model GTi's and TZD Turbo's.
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hurricanes had alloys, TZD turbos had the same wheeltrims as the GTi at that time. So they should fit! Unless the Gti were a wider fitting as they had the wider 185 section tyres on wider rims.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Yep, my Meteor has the bog-standard 165 wheels... Arse. I thought a BX wheeltrim was a BX wheeltrim...

Mark.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I could not make standard wheeltrims stay on the GTI wider steels, ended up with nasty plastic trims from the market, until they fell off, then I went for the bad boy bare black steels look, then I found some Graphite alloys, the rest is history :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I think they are more usually seen on ZX's. I wasn't aware that there was any difference in shape between the solid and vented wheels. Sigh :(

Mark.[/quote]

I think the problem is not so much the difference between solid and vented steels as my trims fit both, but that the GTi steels whether vented or solid are a different dish hence your trims won`t fit. I`ll bet the GTi wheels are wider and the dish is deeper or shallower.
Tough call now: either fit (narrower) standard wheels and your new trims, leave it trimless, get some after market trims which may/may not fit or buy a set of alloys.
The ones on offer for £20 seem very fair to me.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have wider type gti wheels on my TZD and the original trims fitted with some persuasion!