A BXagon point

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

A BXagon point

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sorry to bring this out of the confines of 'Events' or indeed my blog, but...

What if someone wants to do it - except they don't have a BX and they can't find a ride?

There is, in particular, a cheap T&T TZD Turbo estate going... (for instance), would anyone, I wonder, be willing to take shares in such a car - either at purchase time or in repairing (as necessary), fettling and preparing the car - so that it could be ready for the Challenge. The only proviso being that it is either bought by someone in the club in exchange for a donation to the charity, or sold on the 'Bay for charity...

Obviously Tax cost, MOT cost and insurance/running is an expense to be met by the prospective participant.

Any thoughts?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Trouble is who will want to cough up and no take part themselves? I'm assuming you mean some people buy 'shares' in the car here incidentally. The other thing you have to ask is what happens if said car expires at the side of the road in some foreign clime, or gets smashed up or stolen? It'd be a real pisser to see your cash go up in smoke as it were, especially if you weren't actually going.
In my opinion if someone cannot afford £250 (for example) on a car to take then they probably shouldn't be in it in the first place.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, But in answer to the question of who'd cough up but not take part I think it's a bit like this:

Not everyone will be able to take the time off or indeed afford to take part regardless of how much they want to do it. It's a way of helping achieve the goal and actually be recognised as a valuable part of the undertaking by 'facilitating' the raising of donations. It's a bit like owning a share in a racehorse or a racing team - (OK without the possible great return on investment) - and it's a bit of fun too.

I happen to agree about the forking out £250 for a car - why not do it, but, as above, that might not be an option for some. It's a nice way to feel part of it. And it won't go without recognition.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual. I can't possibly foresee all circumstances, but I can still urge potential participants (whether they do the Challenge in person or not) to consider this option.

:D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Don't disagree with those sentiments Phil but, personally speaking, I'd rather donate money directly to the cause as it were.
Have you considered sponsorship by the way? For those who may be going in, how shall I say this, 'less than immaculate' cars perhaps some forms of stickers advertising any company/individual good enough to sponsor one or more participants?
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Team - and event - sponsorship is a keystone of this. I will be supplying BXagon stickers as well as Cancer Research stickers. If, for instance Valeo were to sponsor the event, then there'd be Valeo stickers for every paticipant too and so on. If a team gets sponsorship from a local concern, be it Citroen dealership (as Citroen UK won't sponsor us!) or whatever, their stickers can adorn the vehicle too. In my opinion even the most immaculate BX will look better in sponsorship stickers! The rougher BXs will look even better, especially with 2,750 miles' worth of grime... 8)

I can arrange to have custom stickers made at cost by the people doing the BXagon ones, so if a local Rotary Club, dance troupe, garage wanted to have 'visibility in exchange for a reasonable donation, then that's something else to add to the mix.

Going back to the question of buying a share in a BX it probably should work like this. Five (for example) chaps (with two earmarked as actual participants) club together and get/prepare a BX. All take part in the raising of team sponsorship. After the event - if the BX in question is still in one bit/still exists (and if it isn't there'll be some insurance anyway) -the car is eBayed and the 'investors' get their money back. Excess - if there is any - goes to the charity. As every team taking part has to pay their insurance and tax, get an MOT, this part of the investment can't necessarily be returned, but at least (if the chaps have been busy)well over the minimum of £300 will have gone to the charity. The three chaps sitting at home during the event can still follow the team's progress, informing significant sponsors etc...

It's all down to individual choice, all schemes, plans and clever variations on the theme are of course, welcome!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:After the event - if the BX in question is still in one bit/still exists (and if it isn't there'll be some insurance anyway)
:idea: Surely there would only be insurance payout in the event of accident not if the car just expired mechanically during the trip?

This then raises another thought, for those that choose not to buy breakdown and repatriation insurance (and this scenario of cheap temporary ownership may be one), what are the legalities of disposing of the car in France if repair is impractical/costly and are there any implications and complications with the DVLA etc to the registered owner when back in the UK? :?

I guess you will reply that no one should go without such cover but here's another thought; in a catastrophic breakdown when the call out person sees a car adorned with rally type stickers and establishes that the car is on a challenging journey, will normal insurance be honored or will they point to something in the small print that gives them a get out for anything other than 'normal' motoring journeys?

Not negative points but areas where attention to detail in advance (and only in advance) can prevent significant hardship should the worst happen.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

All valid points.

In the event of an accident insurance will cover it. I checked with my insurers and, as it's a sponsored drive, NOT a race or time trial, using public roads with the drivers adhering to prevailing law, it is OK. No different from a touring holiday. I encourage each and every team to check with their insurers though, and get it in writing or e-mail.

If a car is rendered unroadworthy following an accident it can be recovered form the scene and left at a local garage. At that point the insurers will deal with it. If a car suffers an unrepairable mechanical failure, and the team has not got European assisance and repatriation cover, then that's the team's problem - although obviously others on the route will do what they can to help. It is IMO vital to have the latter although I cannot force a team to buy it.

Even if the vehicle is bought for the event I still can't see what the problem is in obtaining this cover. After all the cost of accommodation, fuel etc. will greatly exceed the cost of this 'peace of mind'. In fact those who might have parted with fifty quid, for instance, to become a shareholder in the car might see it as a necessary expense to protect their small investment.

As for the call out person seeing a car adorned with stickers can be told the same as the insurers.

As for registered owner it can only obviously be one of the shareholders, and the principle driver I'd suggest. The deal of 'shares' will be a private matter between individuals. We aren't talking Porsches here after all!

I will, to lay everyone's minds at rest, obtain information/confirmation from
the ABI and will talk again to the AA (as it's they who I will be using - and hopefully be obtaining some form of sponsorship for the event) to double check that a Club-run non-competitive tour is acceptable.