another BX from Romania

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I think the difference between the two lower mounts shown there is simply the manufacturer rather than the engine they are destined for. I've seen both of those lower mounts fitted to XUD engine arrangements in the past, and if you order a new one, it's pot luck as to which type you get, depending on which manufacturer of parts the motor factors use.
this might be a signature
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

You might be right David, the section of rubber looks about the same - unless it's a harder rubber maybe?

Thanks for the info khan. Last time I did the lower mount pushed it in at 45 degrees. It's slightly better but not enough. Have you tried the lower mount turned through 90 degrees? I thought that might transmit too many vibrations.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I'm really liking the car... Quite similar (visually) to what I've done to my car.

I just need something a bit more interesting to fit under the bonnet, and to mount the side skirts...

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Keep up the good work,
Matt
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

How hard was it to fit the Pug 405 stalks?

Even though I've driven tens of thousands of miles behind the BX/Pug 309 items in four different cars, I absolutely hate the bastard things - they're second only to Mk 5 Astras in my book. Just about anything else would be better.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmmm...anyone know a 405 expert around here who perhaps owns a donor vehicle? :-k :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The 405 units are not that much of an improvement. Yes, they're a bit more solid, but the actions are exactly the same.

What I particularly dislike is the pull-on pull-off for the main beam. What was wrong with push-on pull-off, such that the lever actually moves and stays where you put it. At least with that system you can't accidentally blind the poor person coming the other way when you accidentally go to dip your already-dipped lights.
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Agreed, that's the main problem as far as usability is concerned. Anything else would be a bit less.... Tupperware... though.
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

mat_fenwick wrote:Welcome along, very interesting set of photos you have there! Many of the modifications are exactly the same as the ones I have carried out, but I am interested in the brakes you have used. I find that driving enthusiastically causes brake fade quite quickly - have you noticed much improvement using the larger discs?
thank u! in fact I decided to make an improvement to the brakes because of the fading. and I particularily noticed the fading effect after changing the stock wheels with some 7J15 alloys fitted with 205/50-15. so, the first stage was BX brakes but with the GTI 16V vented discs. unfortunately the pads had to be thinner and they wear very quick (some 2000-2500 miles...). passed to stage 2: normal Xantia brake units, the ones in the 1.8 16V for example, with the 54mm caliper in front, but same vented discs 266 in diam. the brake power improved, but the fading stayed. then I decided to go stage 3: Xantia CT Turbo brakes. the brakes improved even more (my dad still wonders how can I slow down so smooth, without blocking the wheels!!!) and the fading almost dissapeared. in fact, it still appears in very rare situations, only during the summer and while driving hard in the city or on mountain roads.

DavidRutherford wrote:I think the difference between the two lower mounts shown there is simply the manufacturer rather than the engine they are destined for. I've seen both of those lower mounts fitted to XUD engine arrangements in the past, and if you order a new one, it's pot luck as to which type you get, depending on which manufacturer of parts the motor factors use.
no, there are two different codes if u look on service.citroen.com, it's not just a matter of different manufacturers. it looks quite the same, but the rubber and the inner oval part are not the same.
Matt H wrote:I'm really liking the car... Quite similar (visually) to what I've done to my car.
I just need something a bit more interesting to fit under the bonnet, and to mount the side skirts...
http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
Keep up the good work,
Matt
thank u, yours is a very interesting car too! what do u have under the bonnet now and what engine to u plan to fit in the future?
stuart_hedges wrote:How hard was it to fit the Pug 405 stalks?

Even though I've driven tens of thousands of miles behind the BX/Pug 309 items in four different cars, I absolutely hate the bastard things - they're second only to Mk 5 Astras in my book. Just about anything else would be better.
in fact there is no trouble at all fitting the 405 stalks. the one for the lights goes in place exact the same way as the original, no modifications at all, the connector and mountings are identical. the one for the wipers also goes in to the same place and uses the same connector and mountings, but if u want the rear wiper command on the same stick( in fact that's why a switched them) u have to disconect the wires from the original buton and refit them to the new one. do not disconect the wires going to the lightbulb inside, u don't need them. u only need 3 wires and these are easy to recognise and refit to the new connector after taking them out from the old one. if questions, don't hesitate to ask

DavidRutherford wrote:The 405 units are not that much of an improvement. Yes, they're a bit more solid, but the actions are exactly the same. What I particularly dislike is the pull-on pull-off for the main beam. What was wrong with push-on pull-off, such that the lever actually moves and stays where you put it. At least with that system you can't accidentally blind the poor person coming the other way when you accidentally go to dip your already-dipped lights.
yes, in fact they do the same thing, but apart from the rear wiper control. and indeed, I dislike the pull-on pull-off thing, but as far as I know, all the Mk.2 BX's use the same system. I would love the other system, pull-on push-off, but I'm ok with the original one too, in absence of a better one
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

big trouble today: the differential broke, I think it's one of the satellite pinions. sounds like a chain on a tray. i'll be back with some pics tomorrow after dismantling the gear box
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

this is what I found inside the gearbox

I had another simillar gearbox and I took the satellites from the differential inside and repaired my differential. the satellite pinions are all the same for BE3 and BE4 gearboxes

and the gearbox ready to be reinstalled in it's place

I hope the car will be ready for a test run on monday evening
Jeth
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jeth »

Your car is looking really nice!

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9031

VERY similiar with my project.
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

Jeth wrote:Your car is looking really nice!

thank u very much!
in fact I have read all your topic and I think u have a hell of a ride there!!! nice car too with a lot of modifications and a very good performance, but I have one question: does it pulls at lower rpm's? because the maximum torque is good, but raising it from 185 Nm at 2,100 rpm to approx 250 Nm at 3230 rpm, means in fact that u droped the torque at some 145 Nm at 2100 rpm, which is obviously much lower than the original. I think that u have to keep the engine turning at higher revs to have the momentum to sprint when needed which makes it more vulnerable. this happens of course because of the bigger turbo that u used. I took all the options in consideration when I started to make small modification to my car and I came to the conclusion that is better either to keep the existing turbo and tweak-it together with the diesel pump and all the other parts involved (air-filter, polished cylinder head, sport exhaust, etc) for better performance, either to exchange the turbo for a HDI one for example (maybe even with a variable geometry one), which maybe does not have a better performance at higher revs, but at lower revs instead, thus making the car very nervous when sprinting even at lower revs. but maybe is just a question of taste here, I love accelerations more than just a bigger maximum speed, which becomes unusable unless driving with predominance on motorways. and motorways are absolutely absent in my country, only 200km of these are in use here, and we're talking about a country almost twice the size of Benelux
Jeth
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jeth »

khan wrote:
Jeth wrote:Your car is looking really nice!

thank u very much!
in fact I have read all your topic and I think u have a hell of a ride there!!! nice car too with a lot of modifications and a very good performance, but I have one question: does it pulls at lower rpm's? because the maximum torque is good, but raising it from 185 Nm at 2,100 rpm to approx 250 Nm at 3230 rpm, means in fact that u droped the torque at some 145 Nm at 2100 rpm, which is obviously much lower than the original. I think that u have to keep the engine turning at higher revs to have the momentum to sprint when needed which makes it more vulnerable. this happens of course because of the bigger turbo that u used. I took all the options in consideration when I started to make small modification to my car and I came to the conclusion that is better either to keep the existing turbo and tweak-it together with the diesel pump and all the other parts involved (air-filter, polished cylinder head, sport exhaust, etc) for better performance, either to exchange the turbo for a HDI one for example (maybe even with a variable geometry one), which maybe does not have a better performance at higher revs, but at lower revs instead, thus making the car very nervous when sprinting even at lower revs. but maybe is just a question of taste here, I love accelerations more than just a bigger maximum speed, which becomes unusable unless driving with predominance on motorways. and motorways are absolutely absent in my country, only 200km of these are in use here, and we're talking about a country almost twice the size of Benelux
It pulls nice with 3rd gear from 40km/h, (dunno how good it is, but enough for me) you do notice when full power is available :)

Best resault from 80-120km/h is from 4th gear, 5th after 120km/h or abit more..

I don't really get people saying "OMG my car goes 250km/h" Where can you drive such speeds legally? other than germany..
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

I'm so curious about how it goes, I would drive it if I could, but we're too far away one from eachother unfortunately. unless u'll be at Le Mans for Eurocitro, my next visit in western Europe. by the way, is there anyone of u that want to go to Eurocitro? maybe we'll meet there :lol:

otherwise, I got the gearbox/differential problem solved today and everything goes very well. the only trouble is with the speedo, it began to vibrate a little, mostly at low speeds. I blame the postion of the cables because I didn't change anything else that could interfere with it. anyway i'm very happy about how it goes
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

new improvement, morette headlights added last week with BMW 5/7 series (E32/E34) lamps. here goes the story:

it begun with

ImageImage

first look

ImageImageImage

the mock-up

ImageImage

the final assembly

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

the paintjob (not the same colour code :oops: , but it's just for the moment)

ImageImage

and everything in place!

ImageImageImage

I have to say that the light is much better with these headlights, I have fitted a HID system and the light is very good without blinding the other drivers on the road.

so, anyone in for Eurocitro :?: