bx front legs required

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
garfield

bx front legs required

Post by garfield »

does any body have any front suspension legs to save my 92 bx diesel hatch im in south wales but dont mind paying postage also set ofbx alloys would be nice if i can sort suspension first cheers garfield :)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

What's wrong with the the car at the moment? Is it definitely the struts and not the spheres? A couple of symptoms would help point the way and savwe a lot of money if it's spheres you need and not struts.

Struts are all getting on a bit now so secondhand is no guarantee they'll be any better. Some of the stiction on the front struts can be alleviated by a good clean up and all of the following

(1) Citaerobics - plenty of repeated up and down on the ride height from very top to very bottom.
(2) Greasing the very top of the strut under the boot in high.
(3) Lubing the struts by sucking up lhm into the internals as should be detailed somewhere in a sticky or on the Aussiefrogs forum.

If you need a second opionion and are anywhere near Swansea, Lloyds or Stadium Motors (both North of Central Swansea), if they're still there, should be able to advise. Lloyds might just have a couple of struts in store, but don't count on it.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
garfield

Post by garfield »

definately legs they are leaking lhm so unlessa a seal kit is available i need legs
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Sorry to labour the point, but I've yet to find experience a set of BX front struts that are leaking from anywhere other than than one place. And both struts at once? As ever, I 'm always willing to be proved wrong, though. Where are the leaks coming from?

If it's leaking from behind the struts, i.e. where the pair of return pipes are clipped to the rear of the struts inside the wheelarch, then the struts are certainly worn internally to some extent. A set of new and properly-fitted return pipes and clips would help matters while figuring out where to go next - unless they're blowing-off at the junction with the metal pipes clipped to the inside of the wheel-arch which suggests a lot of leakback or a blockage in the return pipes further upstream.

If the leak comes at the top of the strut from the junction with the spheres then the o-rings for the spheres aren't doing their business properly or the spheres are perhaps shot.
garfield

Post by garfield »

only one leg is leaking but i am looking for a pair for as you say supplies are getting low. The return pipes are dry and attached and not blowing off The front suspension is soft and bouncy as it should be and the leak is coming from inside the dust cover of the leg. I do have some experience with these vehicles so while i appreciate your concern it is a leg i require thanks
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

In the spirit of this club, DLM has given you considered and good advice which you appear to have been less than gracious at receiving as a new member. Perhaps you have enormous experience of the BX but we are not to know that from your few words.
You infer that you want free struts from someone and are only prepared to pay the postage. If parts is all you want from this community, I suggest that you reconsider and say what you are prepared to pay for them to give an incentive for someone to part with such spares rather than keep them for their own needs. :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Front stuts are one of the hardest things to get hold of for BX's unless you're prepared to pay daft money to buy new ones, even then I'm not sure whether they're available now or not.

I think chances are you'll have to find someone who's breaking a car with known good ones or look around your local scrappies. There was/is a TZD in Cross green auto spares in Leeds, it did have the front struts last time I saw it.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

(I bought a pair of new Citroen ones, one worked out at about £70, the other at £102. Both by some bartering with dealerships shifting old stock).

List is £337 plus VAT each, if you can find one. I suggest phoning your local Citroen dealership and asking them to do a national stock search. You might get lucky.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh, and there are some alloys on eBay at the moment, ablbeit on the pricey side.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
garfield

Post by garfield »

found the alloys ta will keep an eye on auction and i have also managed to obtain a leg locally ta although if anyone comes across any for sale i will purchase as a spare got no intention of getting rid of my bx just yet. :)
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

No offence meant or taken Garfield - I just like to be sure that someone's after the right part for the right reasons.

Long my your BX run (and go up and down).
Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

BX front legs required

Post by Brian King »

Juddering.For what it's worth, Chris Jacobs of Gloucester suggested to me that one thing to try with juddering legs was to swop them over. The components would then be bearing on different surfaces. I did and it worked. There's now practically no juddering when rising to the normal position, though a small amount at the highest position, but I can live with that
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I can concur with what Brian posted above.
When I fitted a new (old) strut to my BX last year, it seemed a bit juddery at first, so I swapped the two struts over and voila....nice 'n smooth :D
garfield

Post by garfield »

bx is now happy again fitted locally aquired leg and she is no longer bleeding klingon blood thanks for help glad no offense was taken as it wasn't intended. Still on look out for set of speedlines though (cheapish)
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

Alloy wheels

Post by citro-geoff »

Hiya,glad you got a leg OK. Was it from the scrappy in Pont? If it was it was the one I sold to my mate in work. He had one too many cars, and the BX went.Didn't know it had gone until 3 weeks later. Shame really,as I knew the car inside out as I had serviced it for the last 16 years,and it was still MOT'd until July this year,and it was a Meteor!! Put in another gearbox,clutch and engine over the last couple of years,and a new hyd.pump!! What a waste. Had I known it was going I would have had it back.Anyway,my mate Nic is selling a set of 15" Citroen alloys from his Xantia. They have been refurbished and have a NEW set of Firestone Firehawk 195/65 tyres on them. The wheels are 5 spoke. He wants around £275 for the set of 4. I am going to get the tyres taken off and the alloys will be sold on their own, as will the tyres, as they fit the the Kraut Krap range of cars!!!.Let me know if you are interested. I will have them in the back of my car in work tomorrow if you want to have a look.Geoff
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.