Window-lifting channel, BX front offside, motorised

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
peterwight
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Audi A4 Quattro (1998)

Window-lifting channel, BX front offside, motorised

Post by peterwight »

Have any of you the lifting gear for an electric window? On my off side front window a bit has rusted and dropped off. I refer to the metal channel which was attached to the rubber channel in which sits the pane. (the motor pushes a runner along the metal channel to cause the glass to rise and fall).
So...I need either the channel kit, or if gripping the pane too well to remove, the window itself. Who can help me?
A BX fan since buying a 1983 1.6 in 1987 and subsequently a 1.9GTi, three 16valvers and a diesel Meteor. Their deaths have us done parted, save for one 16V sold for restoration, hopefully underway.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I'm only really familiar with the electric windows on the Mk.1s - does anyone know if they're different?

Anyway, the metal runners are made of aluminium ( at least on my BX) and they shouldn't rust but what does happen is they fall off where they are bonded to the glass. The runner has to be bonded back onto the glass with high strength double sided tape - there's one that can take 40kg and works well.

The glass must be cleaned thorougly then prefably heated slightly with a hair dryer to get a good bond between the window, the tape and the runner. It's a fiddly old job - you have to make sure the window is in the front and rear vertical runners plus the other alu horizontal runner must be engaged before you bond the loose one.

I don't know if this is helpful - maybe Citroen changed the design later as it's a pretty crap system really!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

Oddly enough, I was just about to post an appeal for the same bit........so if anyone has a further spare, I'd also be glad to hear from you. In the meantime, wooden blocks & gaffer tape are keeping most of the rain out. A pair of grey velour headrests would be good too.
regards
Huw
19tzi auto a/c estate
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

I have seen this problem many times, the sheet steel simply rots away where water is able to lay in the chanel section, the only easy solution is to source the aluminium extrusion version from a Mk1 Bx, however these were also fitted to later Bx cars at the end of the production run.

The aluminium extrusion is held to the window glass by a tight fitting section of moulded rubber which has a barbed profile which allows you to easily fit the extrusion to the window glass but is a swine to remove.

Unless your window glass is a different tint to a window glass with this already fitted why bother to change them over. just fit the complete assy.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Citroen part number 95 633 346
Used to be about £20
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi, peterwight and velosolex50
I've PM both of you.
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

Thanks Ellevie
£11 from Cit & still available
Huw
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Had this happen on my TZD Auto (now in France) some years ago and fitted the new piece of channel and as said before I would think the mod has been to make it in ally so aiding it to last a bit longer.
Only thing I would say re the fitting is that you really have to have a bit of faith in the glass as it doesn't really fit easily and needs a fair amount of hammering to get it seated properly.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

New channel fitted & all is well. I couldn't get the glass in with the rubber strip, so rather than risk busting the window I glued it in with Sikaflex, first assembling the winder mech in the door & testing the fore&aft position of the channel with the glass just resting in it. So far it has held fine.
Then of course, the control module was faulty, so the window stuck down.....but repaired by re-soldering the relay connections to the printed circuit board (in the black box screwed to the inside of the drivers door trim).
Now it works fine, so everything on the car works except for the radio......and the ABS again! But what would we all do if the cars didn't need a bit of attention now & again?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

What you do with the rubber is:
Place glass on an old tyre (off the rim obviousley)
then get the rubber strip and place it over the glass, then press one end of the channel against it as hard as you can. Then stretch the rubber by pulling the free end of it as hard as you can.
Then tap the channel into the glass faiely carefully and hey presto, it all goes together like a hand ina well fitted glove.

Obvioulsey it's easier with two people doing it, but it can be done with one, I've done loads of the things now, so much so I dont bother using a rubber mallet anymore, I actually do use a lump hammer!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i had a suposedly qualified glass fitter supply and fit an AX door glass to a customers car, he couldnt be botherd to clean the old metal and rubber up, so he used silkaflex ansd it only last about two weeks before the owner was back as it had come away, so i bought the new part from citroen and fitted that

i usualy lay the rubber in place then tap the metal into place with a hammer,

works every time

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

<i usualy lay the rubber in place then tap the metal into place with a hammer, >

Ditto ...what he said...
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

:D Well, we'll see how long the glue lasts on mine. At least the parts were well cleaned, so theres a chance......... so far its brill to have a window that goes up & down without jamming/falling into the door.
Typically, our newish scenic has got a paralysed driver's window now......just out of guarantee, but renault have had so many problems with them that they have actually extended the warranty on the mechanisms for a further year. Good job as the bits are molto expensive. Sounds like its time to sell,as it is almost impossible to work on even if it is a very nice car
Huw