How much

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

How much

Post by cavmad »

fuel does the tank on my 91 1.7 (n/a) diesel hold (in gallons) please? I`m trying to work out the exact economy as I filled the tank the other week and it`s nearly empty now. Must have cracked the 500 mile mark by now, guessing about 530 and it`s not run out yet.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

why not fill it back up to the top and see how much you put in, its the only accurate way to do it!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Mine will do nearly 250 miles on the 1st 1/4 tank, 75 miles on the next bringing it to halfway, 100 on the next quarter and I'll generally get 450 -475 out of a tank before I refill.

Every time I fill it, I get really excited as the needle doesn't move from "Full" for the first 250 miles. Every time I imagine I'm going to get 1000 miles (!!!!) out of a tank.

Which proves two things: my fuel gauge is inaccurate, and I'll never learn.

Cavmad - I've no idea how much it holds btw.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

on the rare occasions I have brim filled the TZD it will go hundreds of miles before the needle begins to drop, your tank should hold between eleven and twelve gallons.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ah well its pretty simple see! The fuel gauage represents the fuel in the main tank, BUT higher spec cars include a secondary tank which is mounted just behind the filler in the rear wing. This is where the extra 250miles comes from and because of its location ABOVE the main tank, the sensor cant measure it, but you wll notice the needle stays significantly above the 'full' mark on the instrument cluster!

And if you unsure if you have this extra tank, have a look next time its on stands :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Vanny wrote:why not fill it back up to the top and see how much you put in, its the only accurate way to do it!
What do you think I am, loaded or something?!!!!!! Seriously I never thought of that and I`ll do it next time. Checked yesterday evening and it ran out after 499 miles. Probably would have just cracked 500 by restarting it and trying to drive it a few hundred yards but what`s the point? :D
It`s on the motorway every day as well so I`m quite impressed with it. Vanny I have e-mailed you ref. the interior, how much were you thinking of and as a point of interest does it have rear heads or will I need to apply my `home made` ones again?