1990 BX 16Valve - got to go!!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

1990 BX 16Valve - got to go!!

Post by Kitch »

I've decided to place the second valver I have up for sale early before I've finished it sadly.
My g/f has been hospitalised during the last stages of her pregnancy and chances are the twins will be delivered early, within days rather than weeks as we'd first thought.
This will leave me no time to finish all the cars I to move on. This Valver is the one that needs the most time to finish it off and is more likely to find a new home than the other unfinished cars I have laying around (non-MOT'd Saxo anybody?!)

So, I acquired the car back in Febuary from a local man who'd owned the car since 1998. It'd been taken off the road in 2001 as he clipped the O/S/R door on a gatepost. I believe it was one of those situations where he decided he'd take the car off the road to repair it over time and use another vehicle for a while. I think he said he got an XM to use and liked it more, so the BX got left to sit and wait until 2009!
My intention was mainly to repair the car, get an years ticket on it, fix all the niggles and basically get it to a high standard...like wheeler dealers on TV. I already own a valver so I didn't really need a second one! This was all planned with an early July brith of my twin boys, but it seems they'll be here much sooner so I have no real time to finish this car.

So heres the car for those who haven't been following the story:

(worth noting I have the grille and steering wheel badge present)

Mechanically it's very good. Gearbox is smooth, engine runs very sweetly now I've fitted new exhaust. Goes very well (2 row ECU car) and power comes on tap as it should. Pumps up and down fine, although I suspect the LHM could do with renewing (I did have a 5L can of it somewhere but have lost it in the house move! If I find it, I'll flush the LHM) Will come with new cambelt and a full service.

Bodywise it's straight and show very few traces of rot. It must have been parked in a dry area! The only let down is some parts of the paintwork, which would need attention to get the car looking perfect. It's a solid base for sure.

So far I've carried out the following on it:

~ Spent two days polishing! (It was very pink, still needs more though)
~ Got remote central locking working (original plip)
~ Got heater working
~ Got electric sunroof working
~ Fitted new exhaust crossbox
~ Fitted new pump to FDV pipe
~ Re-sealed P.R

Also have the following parts to go with the car:

~ Strut return pipe
~ New front pads and discs
~ New aerial
~ New gearknob
~ Set of floor mats

And will be shortly fixing the following:

~ Fitting new rear spheres
~ Fitting replacement O/S/R door
~ Re-earthing engine bay loom
~ Fitting new cambelt
~ Full service

However, to get it MOT ready and generally finished it will need the following:

2x CV boots (MOT Fail)
Strut return pipe fitting (MOT Fail - supplied)
Brakes fitting (supplied)
Speedo cable replacing (not sure which bit)
4x new tyres, or 4x replacement wheels with tyres - MOT Fail (budget tyres approx £120 + fitting, half decent Toyo's approx £170 + fitting)
More time with the polish, or even better a mop!
Rear suspension cylinder boot has a small hole in it.
Small LHM weep around steering ram area, suspect leaky pipe into ram (MOT Fail)
ABS light intermittant (MOT Fail - if it's on! Half the time it's off)

Also had an advisory on a wishbone bush, although couldn't say it was noticable on the road, and a brake pipe.

I'm placing the car up at £430, which is practically what it owes me as it stands now. I was going to sell it on the BX forums only for £650 once finshed (minus the tyres), so I think £750 all in would be a realistic figure of how much it would cost to get this valver tidy and road-going again for the average joe. If you have plenty of spares, time and aren't afraid of spanners then you could probably have this done for under £500 - a snip for valver ownership these days.

I'm only listing on BX forums for now, as for this sort of money on ebay or the like it'll fall right into the vulture's hands as we know. However if I can't shift it in a reasonably short space of time, I may have to break it myself :(

If anyone's interested let me know.

Cheers