Hellllllp!!! Rear suspension cylinder wanted!!!!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Brian Damaged

Hellllllp!!! Rear suspension cylinder wanted!!!!

Post by Brian Damaged »

There I was, sailing back from work on Friday when the dash lit up like the Starship Enterprise, followed by the steering becoming more akin to an Atkinson 8-wheeler. Fortunately I was only about a mile from home when it happened, but after investigation there's LHM wee-ing out of the NSR suspension cylinder.....it's definitely not the sphere, or any of the pipework. :?

Has anyone got a spare one I could purchase??? :lol:

I picked my Dyane up yesterday, so it's getting a baptism of fire this week as I'm going to have to use it for the daily commute.
:shock:

Thanks in fervent anticipation.....LOL
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Sorry to hear of the mishap - but at least you have the Dyane to use.

Estate rear cylinders are a slightly higher capacity than the hatchback ones. I have some from scrappers saved for emergency use, but can make no guarantees on condition. Will look through, as I'm having a sort-out as present.

If available new, they're pretty eyewateringly expensive. I believe
that Anders on the French Car Forum has used Xantia cylinders as a substitute, but I think there are some differences requiring mods..
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's not that much of a mod.
Use the original BX pushrod, and cut the stub down a tad (the bit that the pipe screws into) as it wont clear the stop plate on the BX axle.
Takes about 5 minutes, and Xantia cylinders are a good deal cheaper and easier to get than BX cylinders
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

More of a modette then, now that I know... probably worth renewing supply pipes too.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Be aware when removing hydraulic parts from a scrap Xantia that if it has anti-sink (no FDV and extra accumulator fitted at rear) putting the height selecter in low *does not* depressurise the suspension; this can only be done with the engine running due to the anti sink valve. Ensure suspension cylinder is 'loose' and ideally have both rear wheels off the ground before removing any pipe connections...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Brian Damaged

Post by Brian Damaged »

Thanks guys.

It's complicated, but the long and short of it is that I'm not doing it. SWMBO has decreed that it be removed from the driveway by the weekend or I face having my love-spuds forcibly removed...and has given me the money for a replacement car.

I'm trying to sort out short-term storage so I can offer the whole thing to someone with the time/inclination to repair it, but if I can't I shall have to dob the tax in for a refund and weigh the rest in.

So if anyone wants a 226,000m BX 1900 Diesel Estate with tax until 30-09-09 and MOT until 20-10-09 and can collect it this weekend, bring a trailer and give me its scrap value plus the four month's Road Tax, and take it away.

:?