Well Impressed...

Anything about BXs
retrodriver
BXpert

Well Impressed...

Post by retrodriver »

Just got back off holiday in Cornwall, got the best of the weather it seems because it was nudging 26 degrees down there in the week! 606 miles and the BX performed brilliantly. And even 5 up going up and down some really serious hills she was pulling hard, not bad for a little 1.6, if we had been in my mates 1.2 Fiat Bravo as we had originally planned we would have really struggled!

Coupled with the fact we had traffic jams, very hot weather and running hard alot of the time a foot wasnt put wrong.

It does seem that fully loaded the car drives far smoother, I think the BX is almost too light for its own good, especially with the little petrol engines.

We got decent fuel economy too as the main journeys were done just 3 up and with the tyres at 34psi. Thanks to Tim for the tyres, Michelins do make a huge difference over budgets on the front end.

The suspension made a good talking to point with some of the other drunken people in our Caravan site (it was a Uni Summer Break thing sorted through a mate of mine) who were amazed at its ability to lift itself and offroad on the rough stuff with loads of people in it!

Its just cemented my love for the little car, christened Edith now hehe
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

These 1.6s dont get the recognition they deserve, glad to hear all went well Alex, still want a valver then? :wink:
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yes, let's give the much-maligned 16 some recognition. After all, (as a product of its time) it was a decent and understandable compromise which, particularly as it's a BX, has qualities even today that deserve some praise!

I liked my 16TGS Auto. On reflection a manual might've been a better drive. But nowt wrong with the ride. Still the best I've ever enjoyed in a BX.

It is interesting that some low miles very good condition 16's tend to come up quite regularly. And a current low miler on eBay seems to be attracting some decent bids!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote: I liked my 16TGS Auto. On reflection a manual might've been a better drive.
I had a new Cortina 1.6GL automatic and came to the conclusion with that although being a nice ride, 2 litre is definitely needed to couple to an automatic!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

They even put a 1.6 in a Xantia! What were they thinking!?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It was all to do with tax bracket in France - until they abandoned the 'vignette' of course!
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

Tim, yeah I still do want a valver really after driving yours but the 16 is just such a good all rounder its hard to ignore as a daily driver!

I know the XU petrols get overlooked in french cars with the XUD etc being so good but actually in my opinion (!) they are great engines that need their 2nd wind when these become classics...
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:It was all to do with tax bracket in France - until they abandoned the 'vignette' of course!
Are you sure? The 1.6 was the UK tax break for company car drivers, the 19 being in the next band to 2L. This was the reason for harmonisation here in the UK amongst all of the (then) motor manufacturers competing in this lucrative sector. Citroen was desperate to break into this market in a big way!

The 1.6 category became outdated when the taxman revised the breakpoint to 1.8 thus allowing those that aspired to go from 1.6 to 2.0 to go to 1.8 instead with no penalty. It also had the effect of many of the 2.0 drivers deciding to downgrade to 1.8 in order to save themselves a chunk of tax whereas they would never have considered lowering themselves to a 1.6.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I remember something about that too, hence the reason things like the Ford Granada and Vauxhaul Carlton were available with a 1.8 litre engine.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I might be mistaken, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but the French car tax system differentiated between cars in terms of 'x'ch. A standard BX diesel was 6ch, the 14, 15 and 16 were 7ch, the 19 petrols were 9ch and the 16s (as in 16v) were 10ch. The bigger the number the more you paid.

Given there was a 16 before the 15 came along (can't explain that one!) it had it's place in the line up. Interestingly the source of this information: CITROËN - un génie d'avance by Dominique Pagneux (ETAI 2001) lists the TRD turbo (TZD turbo that is) at 5ch. Whereas the n/a 1.7 BXD is 6ch. :?

Of course, car tax was later abolished.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Philip Chidlow wrote:Of course, car tax was later abolished.
It's about time that was done here in the UK. The system we have now is absolutely absurd. There's already a fantastic method of taxing the use of a vehicle on UK roads. It takes into account miles driven, engine size and economy, driving style and even makes sure you don't pay more if you have more than one car.

It's called Fuel Duty, and it works just fine. All the current taxation system does is cause more paperwork, which causes more overheads, meaning more revenue has to be raised.
Barrie James
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Barrie James »

My first BX was an '83 16RS, I bought it as a standby when my Ami 8 Estate needed major surgery. However "once driven forever smitten" seemed to be what happened and I'm now on my fifth, a 17TZD Turbo.

I agree that the 16 was an excellent car, mine was smooth comfortable and swift. It was far superior to the Sierras I was driving at work.

I did try a Xantia once, but it was soon swapped for another BX.

There's only one problem, it seems the older I get the lower the BX gets when it comes to getting into it after it's been parked for a few days. Still, that's life I suppose.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Barrie James wrote:"once driven forever smitten"
I think you might need a late 80's Vauxhaul for that to be completely accurate!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

i agree with David , abolish road tax and put it on the petrol , that way the people who drive the greater disatances pay for the privilege ,

no one would get away with not paying the tax .

trouble is I think you would then have to have an mot and insurance disc in the window to show the car is road legal. the only benefit of the road tax system is that every year your mot and tax is checked in order to retax the car