Its all a bit painful really.

Anything about BXs
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Its all a bit painful really.

Post by Thickasmud »

:evil: Now that all Octopus', return pipes, welded inner wheel arches, all tyres and litre upon litre upon Litre of LHM plus MOT {over £700 been spent in the last 8 weeks, because we like the car} have been replaced /renewed; our red TGD Auto BX was ready and fit for duty.
A loud crunch followed by the screeching noise of ripping metal in turn followed by silence and the laboured opening of a guilty parties car door, more silence then the doorbell. Noooooo. Yep :roll:
Chose the BX instead of the oncoming bus no doubt charging up the residential street at 30+, problem is the 4x4 was a full blown LR Defender.
I just know any Insurer looking at my BX will write it off once they see the smashed lights, twisted wing and bumper and offer me £scrap.
My question is, has anyone recently ( 6 months) bought a Diesel Auto with fresh MOT with power steering, elect win/sunroof etc. I know Im gonna be fighting for a replacement value so need some figures to bash them with. Help.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

How bad is the damage, do you have pictures? you can guarantee they WILL write the car off but as bx parts are so cheap it may be viable to buy the salvage and fix it yourself.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

There is never a good time for that to happen but that is really bad luck to happen just after costly renovation. :(

Depending how bad it is, Roverman's advice above is worth following if BX is not twisted structurally.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

There's often some ludicrously overpriced BXs for sale on autotrader, which are always good for arguing the value of your car to be £1000, and not £10.

A few photos of the car would soon give some idea as to whether it's worth reparing it yourself.

Just remember, as the claim is against a third party, their insurer has no claim to the car, and so you do not have to "buy it back" from them... it's yours to do with as you wish. They may say "oh, no, as we've paid out, it's ours", but this is a lie. If you were claiming on your OWN insurance, then yes, but as you have no contract with the Land-Rover's insurers, they have no claim to your car.
this might be a signature
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

That's a considerable bummer. Any receipts for those recent parts or work might help, though I don't know a lot about the workings of the insurance world.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

That's really bad luck and isn't that just sod's law! David Rutherford speaks good advice as the insurance company will no doubt make a decision based in their favour. Don't be put off by what looks horrible, ask questions on here for advice and parts and hopefully you'll come out of this ok. Don't loose your mojo!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I might be able to help you out with the parts.

Depends what happens with my other BX ...

Bear in mind my car is completely the wrong colour!
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Thickasmud »

As ever, valuable advice and really helpful comments.
thanks.
just been quoted £270 plus parts: headlamp and indicator, but suspect this will go through his insurers. I will continue to seek advice along the way.
cheers guys
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

On the face of it, it doesn't look serious at all. :?

I've previously bought a sidelight from GSF for £8.50 and even the bodywork needs only a light tap out before you fit it. Re-attach bumper fixings and Bob's your mother's brother! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Not half as bad as I imagined, hope you get it sorted.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Is that it??? I had visions of bits hanging off, you can buy an indicator from ebay for next to nowt, that bumper will clip back on again and a bit of fettling will sort the wonky wing. Failing that someone on heres bound to have a drivers wing in red.

Looks like the headlamps either come unclipped or the fixngs are snapper, again they are plentiful.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Is that it!? I've had worse damage taking a dump!

seriously, though like Tim says, it's not half bad - why not try to negotiate with the insurance that it's not expensive to buy the bits and have it fixed. My GSA was written off for a rear end shunt but the insurance inspection engineer proclaimed it as safe to repair so a Cat C write off. They offered £800 for it and I accepted after getting to buy it back for £100. I then returned it to the road after some self repairs. Total cost: another £100 say, oddly, I profited from an insurance claim..
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If the landrover is bugger all why not speak to the people who hit you and see if you can settle without going through the insurance? I bet that damage wouldnt cost much to put right even at a bodyshop, repaint the bumper and the wing (if your bothered)

If there excess is £200 ask them to pay you that and you repair it yourself and yo could make yourself a few quid whilst your at it, just an idea.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I say fuck em & claim off their insurance. Its not your fault & the car is worth more than the repair costs, or they give you the cash instead, either way its sorted.

I had visions of serious damage, i'm sure some of the club members have purchased more beat up cars which are still going strong :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Aerodynamica wrote:Is that it!? I've had worse damage taking a dump!
..that_ You made my day Graeme with that remark!

I can only agree however, it still looks tidier that what I'm driving around in! I'd just hit them for a couple of hundred if poss, and replace the indicator and bit of trim. When I got round to it...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski