Air Con slider switch wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mat_fenwick

Air Con slider switch wanted

Post by mat_fenwick »

OK, I probably stand more chance of finding a warehouse full of tailblazers and unbroken glovebox lids, but it's worth a try...
The slider control for the air conditioning is no longer functioning - it reads open circuit all the time, no matter what position it's in. The control unit is functioning fine, which was my initial thought. Does anyone have a spare ( :lol: ) please that they would like to exchange for beer tokens?
Failing that, does anyone know what resistance range it should read, that way I could perhaps go about making a replacement?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i think its 10k slider, i could check at some point when i'm near the car, but its a standard size/resistance. The one currently fitted to my car is not standard but a replacement from Tandy/Radioshack. Either way i think your very likely to find one.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I have one. You can have it gratis, or maybe I should charge a large amount for it since it's so rare and all?
Nah, fuck it, gratis, if you want it, but it may take me a week or so to actually find it, since I know roughley where it is, and will require a forklift to get the other crap out of the way to get to the bix in which it lives.

Tis secondhand though.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Cheers Vanny,

I've taken it off now, and it does have 10k printed on the side! :oops: I'm struggling to find one with the right travel length though.

Doc, thanks mate! PM sent.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I think Radio Spares or Maplins do a 10K slider mate, although the travel I didn't check. I seem to remember checking physical dims and felt relieved there was a ready replacement! Check them out mate as I'd of thought that for what was then a low volume item, PSA would of used a standard item!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

a/c slider

Post by velosolex50 »

The one I put on my car came from Maplins. i bought a log and a linear one, & fitted the one that worked best..........can't remember which one it was though! They are not expensive though. I also fitted a separate toggle swith to switch off the whole system in case the slider wasn't quite right. Works fine now.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've found this from Maplins, and this from RS. Both have 45mm travel whereas I need only 35mm. From the sound of things it doesn't matter too much.

But the Doc is going to send me one, which should save me modifying things. Thanks for the info though.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you looked at Farnell? If RS dont have it Farnell often do. Alternatively have a look on the USA RS website, its probably in inches on there and you might have more luck. I know a man who can get you components from RS USA in the next few days.

failing that, get a 15k resistor with 45mm travel, line up the zero end with the old zero end and you set, or feck it and put and offset it and just use 5k of the 10k range (should be split range). I know to most this will sound like jibberish, but i suspect you'll understand what i'm blithering on about Mat!

I'm in the realms of 75 to 80% sure that its linear.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yeah, I had a quick look at Farnell (although I hate their search engine - you put in your criteria, and it comes up with eleventy billion results, so you narrow it down ever so slightly and it comes up with nothing!). Nothing exactly matching though. Thing is, I'm now puzzled as to how the control unit actually works, I assume the temperature sensor is an NTC thermistor (I believe that the typical range is 5-12 kohms). I had thought that it would be a simple voltage divider circuit, whenever the resistance of the slide pot is lower than that of the sensor then the A/C is off.
That (to my mind) works, say for example the resistance of the sensor at ambient is 5k, the slider is set at zero resistance when A/C is off. As soon as the resistance of the pot is higher than that of the sensor, the A/C comes on, decreasing the temperature and increasing the resistance of the sensor till it is higher than the pot, turning the A/C off again.
But, it can't be that way, as mine has failed open circuit, so that if that was the case my A/C would be on all the time. (It does come on if I short out the slide pot).
I just can't understand, if you decrease the resistance of the pot to turn the A/C on (which will increase the resistance of the sensor), how it gets into a 'control' situation. Am I missing a trick here? More importantly, am I making sense?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes Mat believe you are on track and not sliding down the wrong path.

I have a slider here which is earmarked for my next conversion project.
Perversely it measures at 28meg , aircon off and 10 meg aircon on max.
This despite the 10K lin on the side of the pot.
I then poured some alcohol into it to clean up the slider and it measured 1 meg off, 12k when moved to a just on position and a few ohms when on full.
This using a digital meter. I will try it with a moving coil meter tomorrow.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

UPDATE :
I have now applied a few spots of silicone fluid onto the slider tracks. It now moves very smoothly from left to right and behaves with a meter attached as a linear pot should do. Which it did not do before. It was effectively open circuit like yours is now.
So you could try cleaning yours up in the same way to resuscitate your failing a/c control.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Sadly still open circuit after a good spray with contact cleaner - even with the meter on the 20 Meg setting. There is very little resistance to moving the slider, even though I can see the wiper apparently in contact with the (presumably) carbon track.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad