Much loved BX RD Turbo - good home wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
jchurchmandavies

Much loved BX RD Turbo - good home wanted

Post by jchurchmandavies »

My name is Jon, and I have a 1989 G reg, white 1.7 turbo diesel which has been in my family from new. I now have a company vehicle and would have to repair this car, so have reluctantly decided to lat her go.

She has 80,000 miles on the clock, an MOT till 30th September 09 and the log book is present.

Returns 57-58MPG if driven very carefully, 53-54 MPG if driven moderately, 49 if driven hard.

Has never been thrashed. Has a tow bar and has towed a caravan for a total distance of I think 160-250 miles and definitely no more than that.

Hydraulics work fine - all of pipes replaced with nickel alloy 2 years ago in a slightly messy but sound job. Spider joint on hydraulics also replaced at the same time.

Spheres at rear need replacing now.

List of issues:

Rear suspension leaning to one side on drivers side - informed that a new suspension sub frame(?) is needed.

Gearbox hum in top gear - told that it's the selector guides have slighly worn, aligning unworn and worn parts of the gears and leading to the whine. No problems with gear selection.

Slight glancing front impact has cracked bumper on drivers side and deformed wing.

Composite bonnet has a gouge in the front centre.

Would be a good source of spares or could be done up into a good state and I would like it to go to an enthusiat rather than to the scrap yard up the road.

Call 01235-2***** if interested. Postcode is OX12 - Wantage in Oxfordshire.

Regards

Jon

** EDIT - Phone number removed - please use PM or email function.
JC-D
Tourist
BXpert

Re: Much loved BX RD Turbo - good home wanted

Post by Tourist »

jchurchmandavies wrote:Returns 49 if driven hard.
:? sounds unlikely to me ...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Does it matter? good luck with the sale, do you have nay pictures at all, RD turbos are quite rare.

Jon
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I mean good luck with the sale Jon! :lol:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Much loved BX RD Turbo - good home wanted

Post by DavidRutherford »

Tourist wrote:
jchurchmandavies wrote:Returns 49 if driven hard.
:? sounds unlikely to me ...
Really?

Given that the seller has had the car from new, and hence has been driving the car for longer than you've been alive, I suspect he may well know what fuel consumption he gets from it.

Whereas you've been driving a BX for what? A couple of months at most?

Given that I can spank the nads off a BX TD estate and still get 48MPG, I suspect his figures are right on the money.
this might be a signature
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Seconded!! Any owner worth his salt will know pretty accurately what his own car will achieve regularly....and certainly will know better than someone "new" to a particular make/model!

My Turbo TXD is remarkably economical, even when driven hard. It is one of the main reasons I keep her and drive her regularly, as my "daily"!

Her average mpg, over the entire 12 month period April 6th 2008 to April 5th 2009 (financial year :wink: ) was a pretty amazing 54.3 mpg!
This is mainly urban driving, with the ocassional long trip and motorway thrash thrown in!

Specific "hard thrash" figures return a perfectly respectable 47.6 mpg, based on my stats recorded on a "per journey" basis, for trips when I've given her the beanz! :wink:

I have recorded journey figures as high as 62.4 mpg, if I've taken the trouble to drive as economically as possible.

I am pretty anal when it comes to fuel consumption figures on my cars, as I also use them to give me a warning of something becoming amiss with the performance, and hence needing to be looked at! :wink:
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Fine statement withdrawn ... that's impressive fuel economy, I'm pretty sure I get about 30-35 with mine if I'm driving it "hard" ...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've managed 36mpg with my tzd :lol: :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Suppose I've picked up false info somewhere as usual so good luck with the sale Jon.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Tourist wrote:that's impressive fuel economy, I'm pretty sure I get about 30-35 with mine if I'm driving it "hard" ...
I suspect your injection timing may be out, or the injectors are tired. It shouldn't really be possible to get into the 30's MPG from a 17TD engine, unless you're towing or in the worlds worst traffic (Central London etc.)
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I cant even get mine under 42MPG no matter how hard I drive it (and it does get, er, "driven"), and thats at it's current state of tune, which is 115BHP at the wheels.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Back OT - regarding the car in question:

Rear suspension leaning to one side on drivers side - informed that a new suspension sub frame(?) is needed.

Gearbox hum in top gear - told that it's the selector guides have slighly worn, aligning unworn and worn parts of the gears and leading to the whine. No problems with gear selection.

Slight glancing front impact has cracked bumper on drivers side and deformed wing.

Composite bonnet has a gouge in the front centre.

Sounds like a fair amount of work / expense to fix. Is this a viable for someone here?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

docchevron1472 wrote:I cant even get mine under 42MPG no matter how hard I drive it (and it does get, er, "driven"), and thats at it's current state of tune, which is 115BHP at the wheels.
How did you get the power up Doc? Did you tamper with the boost? Any chance you could pm me about this?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

James, please dont think me rude but as your cars running well and with your (and mine also) limited mechanical knowledge your best off leaving it well alone.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

You're right Tim I was just interested to know how it's been done, probably in the same way as with the 1.9TD it's called a "stage 1 tune" by the people on that 306 forum I used for a while, and it's popular with them.