Wanted: radio

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tourist
BXpert

Wanted: radio

Post by Tourist »

I've been driving around without a radio for quite a while now and it's beginning to quite dull ... does anyone on here have a half decent one (doesn't have to be brilliant) that I could have or pur-chase?

I would consider a standard BX one but I'm guessing I'd need a code with it, if you have a radio but not a code I'm afraid I'm not interested seeing as Citroen charge to get one!

The reason for not having a radio yet is that the wiring is all wrong or for a specific one that is not normal. I plan to get this sorted out once I have something I can plug I can get it re-wired to fit that radio.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

With one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC3-08-Male-ISO-t ... 0336285924 any modern head unit will plug straight in.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

£15 gets you digital radio and FM - exellent sound, stereo output, very good gain and no drop out except under bridges.
T J Hughes.
Oh and its mains or battery - I run mine off the 12v fag lighter.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I trust they do it in other colours!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Roverman wrote:I trust they do it in other colours!
That colour is perfect if you got a (Faded) Venetian Red BX surely :lol:

Tourist, Have you seen this:-
simonineaston wrote:My lovely turbo diesel BX went west some months ago I'm sorry to say, and these items have recently surfaced following a clear-out. Someone take them off my hands, please... they're too good for the bin!
  • Kenwood KDC-3021 CD player,complete with BX cubby hole/lid
    Pocket Mechanic for BX diesel models
    original grey Citroen BX Owner's Manual/wallet
See them, in all their glory, at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Sellanbysw/BXItems#
No reasonable offer refused. Collect from Bristol, or I'll be more than happy to pack them up and post them to wherever you are - be prepared to pay for p&p. :)
From THIS thread/post !
If it's just a radio code, I read this the other day from the XM Forum(Which was suggested by Ken Newbold who also posts on this Forum) which links into THIS.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

jonathan_dyane wrote:With one of these any modern head unit will plug straight in.
Will it work with this?

The wires have been divided into 2 groups ... 1st group:

Both plugs here are the same. Then there's the 2nd group which looks like this:

The 2 bigger plugs are the same as eachother and the same as those in the 1st group ... then there are those little brown and red ones ... ?

There's also this little blue one ... :

There's obvious an areal aswell which is about the only thing that will fit!

I have a BX radio now that I picked up for free but it needs a code which I will look into RxBx after I post this - the wiring is a bigger issue I think.

Do after market radios have the same fittings at the back as this which is a BX radio, I'm sure you're familiar with them but here's a pic anyway:

Sorry for having so many questions crammed into just 1 post ...
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Here's the picture of the "1st group" that didn't work in the above post:

My mistake ...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Tourist wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:With one of these any modern head unit will plug straight in.
Will it work with this?
Yes it will, but you will need some spade crimp terminals to tie it in.

The wires you have are as follows:

Red spade = permenent live
Brown spade = earth
Random yellow wire with blue crimp and remains of red wire joined to it *probably* ignition controlled live

White plugs are for the speakers, Green wires are left channel, brown right. You'll have to experiment as to which is front/rear. The wires with the red trace are speaker +.

This will help you wire in the ISO connector of ebay or wherever: http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/editorial/inst_rec.asp
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Re: Wanted: radio

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Tourist wrote: The reason for not having a radio yet is that the wiring is all wrong or for a specific one that is not normal.
You're wiring is not 'all wrong' it is the standard wiring that it left the factory with, with what is by the look of it the addition of an ignition controlled live feed which will make fitting a modern radio even easier.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

jonathan_dyane wrote:
You're wiring is not 'all wrong' it is the standard wiring that it left the factory with[/quote]

But I have a BX radio here (Blaupunkt "Boston CC 22") which I managed to find today, and the plugs and connections are completely different? If the wiring is like it was when it left the factory then did Citroen, the people who put STAPLES in the grille and front splitter, also supply adaptors?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Tourist wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:
You're wiring is not 'all wrong' it is the standard wiring that it left the factory with
But I have a BX radio here (Blaupunkt "Boston CC 22") which I managed to find today, and the plugs and connections are completely different? If the wiring is like it was when it left the factory then did Citroen, the people who put STAPLES in the grille and front splitter, also supply adaptors?[/quote]

*If* that is an original BX radio rather than just a radio *out of* a BX (I seem to recall the BX was fitted with the Boston CC 20, not the CC 22 which was introduced later) it would have had an adapter cable which plugged betwixt the plugs you already have and the radio itself. Not having this, if you follow the instructions I have kindly given you above, you will have made your own for about 3 quid.

What's wrong with staples?
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

I believe the wiring you have was originally designated for Clarion type radio/cassette units????

Blaupunkt/Blue Point units were fitted to the complete range of BX’s, from the C20 right up to the Bremen SQR 49, and most probably beyond in spec and makes, for 1990 onwards.

Your missing one important part, :( the cage, this unit slots into, with all the leads attached to the rear, because the Ariel connection is a cage mount, slot-in type.

It is possible to connect direct, with small female spades, and no doubt modify the ariel connection

Looking at the rear of the unit with the ariel to the left, 3 blocks of connections.

Top Row, -- Pre-amp in and out. Believe not connected on C20/22 ????

Middle Row -- Speakers. From the right, in pairs, top row should be all positives-- are,-- Left rear, Left front, right front and right rear.

Bottom Block. Now this where it gets slightly tricky, depending on the internal connections.

There’s only one negative, bottom row right, but check with a meter to chassis to confirm.

Positive,-- top row, right. Needs to be a permanent live.
Depending on the connections, you may need to find an additional direct feed terminal, to maintain any coding.

Hope this may help

Regards
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

As stated, you've got the original loom connectors still in place which I'd count as a plus: of the many BXs I've owned, some have had the radio connections hacked about in various and sometimes quite unpleasant ways - you've only had the ariel connector snipped.

As said before, the radio-to-loom connectors are around if you dug hard enough - Citroen radio fitments were broadly similar through a number of cars over a fairly long period. There's a small chance I may have one spare knocking around (ditto the ariel part - maybe even a converter socket) - I'll have a look but don't rely on it.

As for the ariel, Maplin or RS components might have sell what you require. Maplin aren't always the cheapest or most helpful source (this varies from branch to branch), but you can find things (again, if you dig hard enough though their catalogue in online or paper form). You'll need a friend or acquaintance with an account to deal with RS, or someone who can deal with them business-to-business.

For codes, RXBX has given you the links needed. Be aware that those old Blaupunkts (I've had a couple) may need to be connected up and then left connected for some time if a couple of incorrect codes have been entered in the past.

Eventually they' ll settle back to a state in which you can enter the code, though it might take a couple of hours in some cases. If so, connect things up, then go do something else and check at regular intervals for the code-entry display to appear. Again, may possibly have a manual knocking around, though I think they're online somewhere.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I'm pretty confident I can find a code (thanks for links I'll deal with that after) but it needs to be plugged in first which I'm hoping to get sorted today, I'm taking a trip to my nearest MDC - Motorist Discount Centre.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

FOR F£"$£"%$"£ SAKE!! :evil:

Put the radio in without getting the DAMN SERIAL NUMBER off it, now I can't get the thing out again :cry:

That's me all over ](*,)

On another note the back speakers seem to have been bi-passed for the ones that *were* in the parcel shelf which means I need to buy some 6x9s for the back. Saw some today for £20 but they looked really stupid like stealth fighter attachments for your car so I didn't buy them.