buying a car in the uk

Anything about BXs
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

buying a car in the uk

Post by Magpi »

ok so im only a couple of months away from travelling to the uk and not totally sure on the process of buying cars in the uk
ok the standard part of looking at cars and paying the old owner i got

but its the process of the motor registry and what i need to pat them and insurance im not sure about

also what is the going price of a good bx
im looking at and estate
pref man gear box
no earlier than 1991

what things do i need ot look out for as local environmental issues with the bx other than the usual rust collection points and engine issues that they all get?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You need to have a UK address (and I'm pretty sure, a UK licence) to insure your car with a UK company. So long as the car you buy is taxed and MOT'd you could drive it for up to as much as 50 days (check with your current insurer) as a visiter tot he UK. This might help while you set up your UK cover.

You will need to provide evidence from your insurers that you haven't claimed in 'x' years to claim those 'clear' years in 'No Claims Bonuus - NCB'. If you can't you will be given an introductory discount, but what you pay might seem high to you, I don't know.

If you haven't got one you will need to apply for a UK driving license. Check on the internet for all that stuff. Can't remember how much (or even 'if') it costs.

The question of a 'good' post-1991 manual (they're all likely to be manual) BX estate is difficult. You will find one - eventually but they don't exactly grow on trees, although they do come up on eBay etc. fairly regularly. If I were you, I'd settle for a cheepo (and cheap to insure) runabout to get sorted in the UK etc. instead of buying a BX out of necessity - and ending up with a not-so-good one. Also, consider a hatchback too - there're more out there to choose from.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

if i didnt own an estate here in australia i would go for a hatch but i have been bitten by the estate bug
there is something about them and it just more fun to drive than a hatch (ok i still havent driven a 16v yet so that may change)

i will be doing a lot of traveling in the summer months around europe so if i dont buy a van i will need the extra space the estate offers

also given that im nto familar with pricing in the uk what should i look for as a good price and what is to much for a bx
i used to prices between $1000 and $4000 for a bx so not totaly sure on what would be a ripp off price

i was looking at 2 turbo deisal estates today on ebay but wasnt to sure on they didnt look like they had been all that well looked after body wise
they were askign about 100 to 400 for them
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

You don't necessarily need an UK driving licence. I only have an Italian driving licence and in 1997 the DVLA gave me in writing that I don't have to apply for a UK licence because I can legally drive as long as my italian licence remains valid.

I also managed to get my italian insurance to fax my no claims bonus to the uk insurance, which accepted it.
When I insure my car the choice is a bit more limited, many car insurances have a tick box for UK or EU licences, in which case I get the same deals as other UK drivers.
Some have a tick box only for UK licences and I have to tick the box International licence. In the latter case the price of the insurance policy is about 4 times as much.

I do not know much about car insurace but this is my experience with a non UK licence.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cacaolat wrote:You don't necessarily need an UK driving licence. I only have an Italian driving licence and in 1997 the DVLA gave me in writing that I don't have to apply for a UK licence because I can legally drive as long as my italian licence remains valid.
You presumably have this right as both Italy and UK are EU countries and catered for under EU law. For nationals of countries outside the EU it is unlikely to apply.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

of course I knew they have to make it a bit easier for drivers with a licence from another EU country but insurance companies would still insure drivers from outside the EU, just it does cost much more...
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

ok so insurance can be a bit of a bitch if i dont have a uk drivers licence

oh to one of my other questions

what should i be looking at price wise
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Dependant on model, condition, length of MOt etc I'd suggest anywhere from about £200 upwards.

You're probably looking at about £400 plus for a good one which would be well worth the extra money if in decent nick and well looked after.
Vauxhall apologist.
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

so 400 is about $700 australian
thats still cheaper than i got my estate for
i paid $3k (aprox 1,600 GBP) for my 91 tzi estate a years ago (in very good nick)

i think im goingot like living in the uk
lmao
(if i could get a H van for the same price i will be very happy)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I've haerd from others on here BXs are expensive in Australia so you'd certainly get whet you would class a bargain over here mate.
Vauxhall apologist.
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

the one thing that gets me is trying ot find a car in europe that doesnt have a dint in it
do peopel really not care enough about there every day cars that they use them to play dodgem cars with when parking??
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I don't know if thast's the reason but most BXs will have been through a few hands by now and generally the older a car gets the more battle scarred it will become as it's bought by people who haven't paid much for it and just want a runabout. Therefore it seems to follow suit that the odd knock or dent won't bother them as the car is seen as pretty low value.
Also, of course, it's not worth spending a large amount of cash having the bodywork sorted on old-ish cars in most people's eyes.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

All 3 of mine have dents on them :cry:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.