Pedal peculiarities and IKEA to the rescue

Anything about BXs
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Pedal peculiarities and IKEA to the rescue

Post by DLM »

Grolliffe has really decided to throw a funny at me. I've heard of accelerator pedal problems due to a bending/cracking pedal box, but this seems to be a new one.

The threaded cylinder at the end of the brake pedal that turns on the brake pedal nut seized in place on that brake pedal nut. Result: an accelerator pedal that gets progressively hard to depress, and equally reluctant to return when the foot's taken off the pedal (a bit embarrasing, and wears the top-side of the shoe-leather as you pull it back with yourr instep). Some attempts at adjustment with a 14mm spanner and flooding the area with oil have alleviated it, but the spare pedal box will be fitted ASAP.

IKEA? BXs? On another thread last week I described how I unintentionally assaulted Grolliffe's rear screen with the end of a bunjee clip with predictably bad results. My recommendation for a get-you-home-or-to-place-of-repair kit for such an eventuality follows (not all the items were in the car, but they were thankfully close at hand).

(a) 1 small roll of carpet to put on the rear shelf to catch glass granules from the rear screen as it gradually self destructs (optional). This assumes it's just cracked and crazed (cue sound like ice floes breaking up in the first couple of minutes after the initial damage).

(b) 1 roll of wide brown tape

Something to cut said tape with, and to cut...

(c) One large IKEA storage bag in tarp-like clearish plastic (opaque really) - one of the big rectangular zipped boys they sell for storing things like duvet covers, big pictures etc. etc. After doing duty storing BX door cards, one cut-out side proved to be just right to fit over an estate rear hatch glass area, and be fastened in place with the obligatory big roll of brown tape.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.