Biodiesel in the turbo diesel engine

Anything about BXs
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Biodiesel in the turbo diesel engine

Post by Magpi »

any one know much about running a tzd diesel on Biodiesel??

the diesel isnt in australia so ther eis nto one here to ask about it
but thougth peopel here migth have an idea if it works
or if modifications need to be made to get it to work

if you guys hadnt already worked it out im a dirty hippie that loves his cits but likes to think i could be more enviromently friendly with them
lmao
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

This may turn out to be a mega thread, the pro's and con's of bio diesel have been talked about before.

I've never heard anything good about it, only problems, I certainly would never use it.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If it is feasible, would be Bosch-pump-only, due to the well-documented problems with veggy-oil and Lucas pumps. If you must do it, a 1.9D with a Bosch pump would make much more sense to my mind, though I appreciate such a thing may not be a common creature in NZ.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If you use the search function you will find lots of info. Bottom line is that the engine and injection system was designed for diesel, and will be more long-lived living on the correct fuel. Also, regardless of whether the injector pump is Lucas/CAV/Rotodiesel or Bosch, bio will eat the seals.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

DLM wrote:I appreciate such a thing may not be a common creature in NZ.
Lesson in Geography DLM :wink: Magpi is in Australia which is the large western Island off the coast of New Zealand :lol:

Anyways this could be another epic thread and for the record I know of someone who was running a Pug 405 Diesel on Chip fat oil. I followed him once up a hill no need to describe the smell :lol:

Last time I heard he had abandoned the idea because of the cost of filters and fuel pump overhauls, now that Diesel is down to a lower price and veg oil has increased in price.

Also have heard that the Pacific Islands are using cocunut oil for the Militery Police vehicles.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Many thanks for your most kind but superfluous suggestions as to my knowledge of geography Kiwi :roll: - but most of all apologies for Magpi for misattribution - I'm guilty of a serious a serious crime :lol:.

I've not been on here a lot lately while concerned with some other matters so made an incorrect assumption about Magpi - who I at least placed in the right major Oceanic region - we don't normally get a broad swathe of Aussies beating a path to bxclub most of the time.

In any case, I think a non-aspirated BX diesel is probably as rare a beast in Aussieland as New Zealand.

I certainly wouldn't want to be "palmed off" with coconut oil and would "shy" away from it - even if there aren't any flakes to clog up the filters...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

On the contrey alternative fuels to petrol and diesel have been popular in the lands down under for many a decade. CNG had a phase with LPG being more popular for the petrol versions and Bio fuels for the diesels were becoming quit prominant during the price hikes as they were in most parts of the world.

Probably because things have settled down price wise, well the kiwis for one are not whining about a 75% hike in pump prices in a year and the end of the world with a $2 litre :lol: Also I think that because Diesel is not taxed at the pump and is based on the Kilometres driven they kind of figured the value of alternate diesel was not economical?

One thing I have noticed more eveident in NZ is that diesel cars are not prefered! Over all cost to run a Diesel model compared to a petrol often works out more expensive unless you extremely high kms.

Ironic then that Diesel is not a selling point!
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Remarks re diesels refer to BXs down under .... or maybe I just got the wrong impression from petrolheads like Shane and Alan S.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

:?: :?: :?: DLM I did not understand that last remark? Can you expand further?
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

a brief history or coconut oil as Fuel in Bougainville
an adbirde version is that they had ntohing but coconuts to make oil with they used to run all there landcurser reoopies on a nut oil mix
worked very well

the bigest issues is getting glow plugs that glow at a higher temp as well as regular changes tot he filters

runnign of just straight veg oil does cause more toruble than making your own bio

takes longer to make bio then simply filing the tank with veg oil but its worth it int he end
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

DLM I did not understand that last remark? Can you expand further?
Have only just spotted your question.

I simply mean that the Aussiefrogs BX-owning contingent - one of whom I've met on 3 separate occasions - have always said that diesel BXs - and other European diesel imports - were rare as the proverbial rocking-horse droppings in Australia.

I have no idea about the New Zealand market - and wouldn't presume to know anything much about it, but in other Pacific markets where the BX was imported and a "following" grew up, e.g. Japan or Malaysia, the BXs imported and run seem to have overwhelmingly been petrol models too.

If that's just been a case of preference for petrol rather than non-availability of diesel variants, I don't know - but I'm just working on the basis of the BX owners I've encountered on various forums since the start of the millennium.

No doubt diesels from Japanese and other manufacturers have been available in the Pacific for a long time, and diesels have been ubiquitous in commercial, haulage and agricultural markets for many a year all over the world.

However, the French were way ahead of the game in the diesel engine for medium-to large-sized-cars in the era of the BX, and arguably still are in the forefront, given that volume worldwide concerns like Ford didn't fit particularly refined diesels until they got into supply agreements with PSA for the diesel engines in their mainstream cars.

I appreciate I've answered with my usual long-windedness - but I always like to take the opportunity to explain myself fully and clearly if I can. Does that do it?
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

until very recently diesel was more expensive than unleaded (and at the time of the bx super(leaded)) so they were nto very popular here sept in comercial trucks vans and the such

with the developments in diesel engines and there feul ecconomy people are moving to them more regularly now