Wanted!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Wanted!

Post by cavmad »

As cheap as possible 1.6 petrol BX with good engine, failing that a 405 1.6. Must be carb version with manual box, as close to Chester as possible please but will travel if it`s driveable.
Any offers?
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I know it's not exactly what you are after but I will have a (V. good) 1.6 engine from a 205 GTi available in the next month; if you don't want to go through the hassle of using the injection system then I'm certain you could bolt the carb and manifold from yours onto it.
It is in the car, in North Wales at the moment.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Nice one Mat, sounds ideal and possibly not too far from me either. Any idea what the conversion would be like? Is it just the injection system or will the wiring etc need to be changed too?
Also will my clutch fit o.k or failing that the GTi clutch straight onto my (original) gearbox?
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You would need the wiring and ECU (which would come with the engine) but you would also need to fit a higher pressure fuel pump and different fuel lines to supply the injection system.
If this all sounds like too much hassle for you then perhaps just keep the original carb.
I'm certain that the clutch is identical - I know the gearbox will fit anyway. It might be worth replacing the clutch while it is all out on the floor. I work for a clutch manufacturer now so I should be able to get a new clutch at cost (£20-30) if you want.
Probably the best thing is if I let you know when we plan to take it out of the car, and you come and check it over beforehand, make sure you are happy with the way it starts/drives etc.
Let me know if you are still interested and I will pm you are few more details.