BX 1.9TXD Rear Suspension Cylinder Pit Corroded

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
TrikkyRikky

Post by TrikkyRikky »

Hi BXClub - I newly registered to this excellent site just yesterday in the hope that one of you could provide me with a replacement rear suspension cylinder for Cindy - my dearly beloved 1.9 TXD saloon of the last 12 years. Rescued from Tewkesbury car autions back in Jan'97 when sporting only 93K, she's been used and abused, but has now clocked over 201K miles and looking to do many more if only I could get her ar5e off the ground! So if anyone out there can help Cindy with this part and the associated hydraulic feed pipe (as I had to cut the old one free) she'd greatly appreciate a leg-up! So any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

These are getting like hens teeth to get hold of now.

Another problem is, from my experiance, when one side fails, the other side won't be far behind. :(

Not sure if new ones are still available, the last ones I bought some time ago were £60 each.
djm666
BXpert

big fix

Post by djm666 »

move to New Zealand and you wont have the problem of corrosion that does not help the stone catching rear subframe.lol.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A new old stock pair appeared on eBay the other day and sold for considerably less than £60 each. It might be worth trawling the internet for a while (not just eBay)?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
TrikkyRikky

Post by TrikkyRikky »

Hi Ken - Appreciate your response. Clearly the BX is an 'old' model and not generically popular, except with BXClub of course! So I was guessing that this part could be difficult to obtain and have only just started looking - ideally for a cheap, s/hand replacement. Since posting this here, I've also just posted for this part with a couple of online breakers, so we'll see what that turns up over the next day or so.
If all else fails, I've read other threads here that an early Xantia cylinder / strut (with a bit of filing) will do the same job, so may have to go down that road too.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'd recommend going the xantia route, plenty available either 2nd hand or new & cheaper than proper bx one's. Just make sure you get the non hdyractive version(s).
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
TrikkyRikky

Post by TrikkyRikky »

Thanks to all who've responded here. Now a dumb question relating to Mulley's advice "How do I tell a non-Hydractive suspension strut and / or sphere from a Hydractive version?"
May have jumped the gun here because I was at the breakers yesterday and removed myself a strut / sphere (95635424) assembly off a P-reg Xantia for the princely sum of £10, but am not now sure whether it's compatible with Cindy. Any pointers would be most welcome.
Cindy - '93 BX 1.9 TXD Saloon 201K (SORN)
Sally - '99 Vaux Sintra 2.2TDi MPV 132K (SORN)
Zara - '01 Xsara 2.0 HDi hatch 132K
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I *think* only SX and VSX spec Xantia's had hydractive, but the definitive way to tell is to check for the presence of the sport/normal switch on the centre console. Also, if it were Hydractive a P reg Xantia would have 4 rear spheres, the two on the struts, a brake accumulator (often called the anti-sink sphere) and the centre (Hydractive) sphere, whereas non-hydractive would have only three.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
TrikkyRikky

Post by TrikkyRikky »

Thanks Jonathan_Dyane I didn't bother to look inside, so no idea if it had the switch you described. However there were only 3 spheres under the rear of this one so I guess I'm ok with this strut. Will fit it as soon as the repacement hydraulic pipe (95595682) arrives that I bought on Ebay this weekend for £4.99 + £5.50 p&p (Ouch!) from Citroenservices, Glasgow. Will let you know how I fare with this shortly thereafter. Cheers.
Cindy - '93 BX 1.9 TXD Saloon 201K (SORN)
Sally - '99 Vaux Sintra 2.2TDi MPV 132K (SORN)
Zara - '01 Xsara 2.0 HDi hatch 132K
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

I am quoting Anders here,

Non hydractive Xantia rear cylinders will fit the BX.
Hydractive versions have a pipe connection that is much to large internal diameter.

You have to swap the inner strut over fom the original BX part, and pgrind down the area around the pipe conector to get it to fit in the recess. The rubber gaiter must be swapped too, but these are still available from Citroen if you need a new one.

Xantia a struts are much cheaper then BX struts.

The connecting pipe will probably need replacing, but these are on ebay for £5

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Mike E (uk) wrote: You have to swap the inner strut over fom the original BX part, and pgrind down the area around the pipe conector to get it to fit in the recess. The rubber gaiter must be swapped too, but these are still available from Citroen if you need a new one.
That's handy information. Do you think 'inner strut' means the pushrod?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski