Swap MX5 for BX, anyone?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
RichardKC6

Swap MX5 for BX, anyone?

Post by RichardKC6 »

I've posted this on CCC and thought it might be worth mentioning in here, I'll try and be concise as I'm prone to rambling.

I have:

1992 MX5 (Eunos) 1.6 Automatic. It has done 118,000kms, is red and unmodified. It hasn't been MOTd since May, though it has been driven around the yard about and garaged; I didn't want to do the work on it as it was my then gf's car, she's now an ex, and I now have the car but am too busy to take it for an MOT. Part of the delay was my thinking it needed new brake discs/pads for the MOT, which I bought in July but didn't fit. It will also probably need new tyres.

It starts fine, runs well, has power steering and A/C which if not functional, certainly cuts in/out etc. - it's hard to test in winter! The body has slight bubbling on the driver's side sill, but no perforations, it's a common area to go on the MX5 and well documented as a repair. I kept the drain holes clear. The roof is in good shape, the back window is undamaged, only very slightly discoloured. Interior is cloth, with Momo wheel; it has an MP3 CD player and recent door speakers fitted.

I don't have time to MOT it - I'm about to move house. I also want a BX.

So: What I want is a BX with a tolerable length of MOT, and in a condition which reflects the value of the MX5 at least reasonably - which without an MOT, is about £5-700 - with an MOT it's closer to £1200-1900 in summer.

My preferred BX would be petrol and injected, an estate would be more practical than anything else right now. In order of fondness, I would go:

19 TRS Estate in red (the car I wanted more than anything when I was 17)
19 GTi in any colour
1988 16 RE in red (my first BX)
TXi or similar late one

I don't expect a 16v, I don't expect a cherished classic, but I don't want a banger or something about to need major work (though if you're desperate I'd take one as PX). Obviously the MX5 can't legally be driven anywhere at the moment, but from a technical point of view I would happily jump in it right now and drive it to Scotland and back with no fear.

I have been offered a TZD, but I haven't heard back about the condition, MOT-ness of it yet; I would much prefer a petrol - partly because I expect I'd get a nicer car, relatively, for the value.

The MX5 has two sets of alloys - so to refine that, if an offered BX has a towbar, I will include both the 100+ 15" alloys on it now and the original-style ones I bought on eBay last week, I will also include a chrome style bar (hoops) I've removed as I will keep the car completely basic/original if I end up keeping it!

I'm in Birmingham.

Pictures of the MX5 are on the Pistonheads advert I placed:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1487673.htm

And here's a video including heavy breathing since it's so cold, and annoyingly "youth-oriented" music coming from Radio 4 of all places.

132 cars in 18 years and showing no signs of stopping yet...
Current: C6 2.7 Exclusive, Xantia 1.8i Estate, Golf Clipper, Brown Car.

Citroëny history: CX22TRSx2, 2400 Pallas, 25GTI, 25TRi, Turbo, Turbo 2. BX16RE, 19RS, 16 S1, GTi 4x4. Xantia D. Dyane x 2. GSA. ZX. Visa Decap. AX.
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

This has now gone; sadly not for a BX - I think I might have been optimistic about the BXs I might be offered based on the values, but got offered BXs I'd have put in a much lower value bracket than the MX5 (with one exception, but that wasn't offered due to input from the management board!).

Having taken that on board and gone "right, I'll fix it then", someone offered me a crap Xantia, and then I got offered a horrid Mk 2 Golf GTi with 236,000 miles on it.

Except, you know what Golf GTis are worth when they're not horrid. I hadn't even considered I'd get a usable one for a non-MOTd MX5.

As it is, I got the GTi, and cash. The GTi effectively cost me £300 for a working, 5-door 1991 Golf with MOT and tax on it. Sky-high mileage and a duff rear strut mount (£20 and some swearing to sort) aside, it drives really nicely.

Still miss having a BX and I'm watching eBay for a good example of a TZi, GTi or 16RE; I also might end up buying a Xantia estate I found on there. Having the crappy Xantia over reminded me how much I miss the smell of LHM ;)

Citroëny history: CX22TRSx2, 2400 Pallas, 25GTI, 25TRi, Turbo, Turbo 2. BX16RE, 19RS, 16 S1, GTi 4x4. Xantia D. Dyane x 2. GSA. ZX. Visa Decap. AX.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Just a quick hello to this thread and i have to ask, Is this Richard K who used to live in Kelso?

And if you can make money on the golf, thats all well and good, but why would you drive that with drive over a fag packet and snap your neck suspension when you could have a BX when you sell it :) :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

It is indeed, and now you're making me nervous!

I'd love a BX, but the value of the MX5 in cash would get me a really tidy BX, I was hoping for slightly below that; I also expected it would only get a totally knackered Golf, and it did but also some cash, which was a surprise.

Uprated suspension is vile, though; I always put Golfs back to stock suspension.

So... this Kelso thing... :shock:

*ponder* I might have a suspicion, actually. I might have namechecked you on CCC when lamenting the death of my beloved 22 TRS...

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Got it in one and yes you did indeed.

One thing i will add in here Richard if i may, for several years now ive come accross situations where ive basically been blamed as the one that killed that CX 22TRS. Just so we are clear, i loved that car just as much as you mate, I'd actually spent more than the price i paid you for the car on servicing and repairs and parts by the time it was killed by a daft bint in a nissan sunny answering her phone and stopping just round a blind bend.

I didnt mean to crash it mate, honestly.

Aside from that, hello. Nice to see your still citroening :)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

I didn't want to sell it, that's basically where the issue is - and I'd have spent the next decade trying to buy it back if it had still existed!

I don't think anyone would mean to crash a car, really.

TBH, I am still Citroêning under duress in the shape of the C6, it's a real disappointment to me - I'd much rather have a CX, and I'll probably do just that next, or even try a DS. I want a BX for memories and for the slim pillars, but don't have time to get into projects - I've just sold (I think) my 500 SL after it decided that it would like to become a project.

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

[quoteI didn't want to sell it, that's basically where the issue is - and I'd have spent the next decade trying to buy it back if it had still existed! [/quote]

See, now that i totally understand and agree with its sentiment entirely.
I'm sorry if i came across as a bit stroppy in the above original post, i was just a bit annoyed with happening across each other again and finding i still get mentioned in the same breath as killing the 22TRS.

I so totally understand your wish id never sold it and would buy it back if it were possible though feelings. About a month after the above mentioned 22 ceased to be i bought C120XJT my first GTi petrol turbo. I still ocassionally attempt to find that and see if its for sale at all, damn stupid move i made getting rid of that one, damn stupid, have a pic of the car in question............

93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Hahahaha

I thought it was just me - I spent ages tracking down my first BX that I should never have sold, but it had gone to Ireland.

Come on now guys, shake hands.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

Stinkwheel wrote:
I didn't want to sell it, that's basically where the issue is - and I'd have spent the next decade trying to buy it back if it had still existed!
See, now that i totally understand and agree with its sentiment entirely.
I'm sorry if i came across as a bit stroppy in the above original post, i was just a bit annoyed with happening across each other again and finding i still get mentioned in the same breath as killing the 22TRS.
To be honest, I thought you'd vanished - bought the CX, taken it, then disappeared - it's not like I've been absent from Citroën places for any long period of time! I feel a lot better knowing that the enthusiasm stuck. I won't mention it again ;)

Oh, and I just got a Xantia. Amazing what £550 will buy you sometimes, though I'd hoped I'd find a BX in similar condition (maybe more miles). Anyone want a Golf GTi? ;)

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

To be honest, I thought you'd vanished - bought the CX, taken it, then disappeared - it's not like I've been absent from Citroën places for any long period of time! I feel a lot better knowing that the enthusiasm stuck.
Oh it more than stuck. You wouldn't believe the citroens i've owned in the last 13 years since i bought the CX from you.
Im surprised you thought i disappeared, ive been loitering within the CCC and 2CVGB and various places the whole time.

and yes, someone buy your golf, then you can ttreat the xanitia (or better buy a BX or CX)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
RichardKC6

Post by RichardKC6 »

Golf's gone!

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

thats what we like to hear :)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6