BX TZD Needs a new home

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Will

BX TZD Needs a new home

Post by Will »

H reg Diesel TZD 90000 miles. After discussion on forum under -leaking hydraulics- I have reluctantly decided to sell the car for spares or repair. The garage have been unable to trace where the excess fluid is coming from to keep blowing off the return pipe. Their only answer is to fit two new legs and hope that cures it. Also whilst it was up on the ramp it appears it needs a new rear bush on the suspension, all of which will cost more than my meager income can afford. the local scrap yard will offer £110 but it is such a nice car it seems a great shame to scrap it. Engine and gearbox excellent, no dents in body,electric sunroof and windows all work, interior very clean . This is a car that seems to have had an easy life MOT April 2010. Must be worth £300 ono

07885 637337
01394 276099
Suffolk
Give a retired Greyhound a forever home
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

To be honest, I doubt you will get £300 for a car with hydraulic problems and such a short MOT, although it's not a lot of money for a nice example.

You never said exactly which pipe keeps blowing off. If it is a strut return pipe, disconnect the pipe yourself and see how much fluid is coming out of it, if it's any more than a tiny bit, just get the garage to fit a new or secondhand strut.

I thought from your original description it might have been the return pipe from the security valve, in which case Citronut answered the problem.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well if it was nearer to me it would now be sold so I doubt it will be long before it's snapped up! You've been honest with the problem and if the rest is as described then it's a good buy for someone and lets be honest there can't be many BX'S out there without a slight hydraulic problem or one iminent, they're inherent!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Will

Bx

Post by Will »

Thanks for your encouagement, I will be sorry to see it go.

Regards

Will
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I'm sure there is just as good advice on this site but I stumbled across this Citroen DIY site:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/sus ... ension.php
and this paragraph seems to describe your problem:

The creaks, groans and LHM leaks in the suspension are caused by wear in the bronze slide bearing and its rubber seal, but if this little ring is worn, the pressurised LHM just leaks past it and into the return system (this is the reason for both poor suspension performance and the return line popping off easily). So, remove the old seal carefully, taking care not to damage the bore (use a soft tool, toothpicks, for instance, are excellent), and fit the new ring into place very carefully. This job is a little bit fiddly and awkward, but take your time and use a soft plastic or wooden tool (old toothbrush handles are perfect) to push it into place and seat it properly.
It seems a shame to let a good car go for what might be a simple(ish) fix
Steve
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

PM sent
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
Will

BX no longer for sale

Post by Will »

The gorgeous BX rides again! We were recomended to Le Garagiste in Ipswich who has sorted the hydraulic problems, fitted two new spheres on the back replaced all the bulbs in the dash and kindly looked at the overall condition of the car, which he says is the best BX he has seen for a while. Now all we need is the rear suspension bush replaced for the MOT and all will be well. £ 271 spent so far.

The return pipe blowing off was a medium pressure return from the steering rack that had been mucked about with and bodged in the recent past. The pipes not pushed into the rubber couplings past the retaining olive.

It has been running well for a week now

Will
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Great news!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fantastic. I bet you're chuffed.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Excellent ending to the story!!! Great stuff! :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

A years motoring for £271, a bargain in anyones book and well done.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Nice 1 Will, enjoy mate! piccies please?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Hi Will, I'm glad it went well with Tony - he's a good bloke! I popped down to his place when yours was in. It certainly looked good.
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch